JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
5.56/223. Great round (good enough for NATO,) ammo is cheap and plentiful, and also runs in my AR-15.
Cheap and plentiful is just a perspective… honestly just like the best small caliber center fire cartridge… I am onboard with the cartridge being used in a wide variety of firearms… I posted based on just a different type of small caliber… I had done some research before when Winchester released rifles again in '05… thought it was a great little cartridge…

Cheap and plentiful is just a perspective… honestly just like the best small caliber center fire cartridge… I am onboard with the cartridge being used in a wide variety of firearms… I posted based on just a different type of small caliber… I had done some research before when Winchester released rifles again in '05… thought it was a great little cartridge…
I have a AR-15 and it's not as cheap and plentiful as it was about 6 months ago

So ...

I own the following:
.22 Hornet
.223 Remington
5.56 NATO
.220 Swift

All are "best" at something (grin), so my answer to the OP is get them all!
I am the op and I do believe that every one is awesome for something but I am looking to out shooting my oldest son he has a Winchester model 70 pre 64 in 220 swift

Re: 220 Swift. A pal of mine, now gone, had his dad's .220 Swift Winchester made around 1940 or so. Many years ago, tiring of the lack of accuracy past 100 yards or so, he had it rebarrelled, retaining the external contours of its beautiful pre-war outline - I misremember the name of the barrel maker, though.

It turned from a bullet hose into a deadly laser-like kiss-o-death on varmints out to his self-limited 450 yards, and remained so all the years I knew it. It was no big deal to shoot a five-shot group around half-an inch with the aid of a x6 Weaver scope - this on a rifle made before Pearl Harbour.

The rest of the story might be of interest to those of you who remember that the original .220 Swift loading, of around 4200 fps, was felt by some to be a real barrel burner, with good reason. The 'smith not only kept the old barrel, but sectioned it to see just what it looked like inside, particularly in the area of the leade. For those who might not be au fait with the word, it is the name given to the transition space in the barrel from the location of the neck of the cartridge into the rifling.

To his great amaze, this barrel had NO rifling whatsoever for the first 10 - 12 inches of barrel! and what remained was eroded away until the last three or four inches of the 26" tube.

Seems that the stories about wishful thinking on the part of the gunmakers took a serious hit when reality set in, regarding the metallurgy of the day.

There is sooooo much difference in barrel steels of recent vintage versus the early days of the Swift!

Deterrents on modern powders keep flame temperatures down as well, while still allowing great velocities.

I used to routienly target shoot my Swift out to 600 yards and had no trouble staying in the 10-ring on an NRA high power target. Well at least when the wind was less than 15MPH or so if gusty.

It's a great cartridge, and will give you just a bit of an edge over the 22-250, say another 50 to 75 yards for most shooters.

Since your son has one I'd say get one yourself. You can pool resources on reloading equipment and components and have a more direct comparison of your shooting prowess!

Oh, and I still say get the others too! (Grin)

I assume that you mean detergents? :)

Did I ever mention my pal Alan's lovely .220 Swift SAKO and the disappearing bullets?

I might have mentioned it before, in which case, please accept my apolifications.

I am the op and I do believe that every one is awesome for something but I am looking to out shooting my oldest son he has a Winchester model 70 pre 64 in 220 swift
Help me understand what you mean when you say "outshoot."

If it's accuracy you're after, cartridge doesn't matter. Velocity matters squat if you're not hitting.

Pay attention at 22 seconds.

If you want to outshoot your boy (and what dad wouldn't) I'd suggest a Tikka in .223 with a really nice scope and hand-tuned loads. Then practice and shoot one-hole groups. That's the way to win. Then you'll hear the sweet words, "Hey Dad, where did you buy that rifle?"

AD6FD1F4-F262-43F7-AFE3-1C01303172B5.jpeg
This is Land Whore, my T3x Varmint in .223. Five shots.

A0860003-6B70-40B3-8707-E00415B33AF2.png

This one is Blue Lightning, my stainless T3, also in .223, also five shots.

P

Last Edited:
There is sooooo much difference in barrel steels of recent vintage versus the early days of the Swift!

Deterrents on modern powders keep flame temperatures down as well, while still allowing great velocities.

I used to routienly target shoot my Swift out to 600 yards and had no trouble staying in the 10-ring on an NRA high power target. Well at least when the wind was less than 15MPH or so if gusty.

It's a great cartridge, and will give you just a bit of an edge over the 22-250, say another 50 to 75 yards for most shooters.

Since your son has one I'd say get one yourself. You can pool resources on reloading equipment and components and have a more direct comparison of your shooting prowess!

Oh, and I still say get the others too! (Grin)
I was hoping that the 204 ruger in a Browning X-bolt would be just what I needed with a 26 inch barrel I already know that my son has the advantage because he bought his 220 from our reload guy

My brother shot this marmot at 488 yards using his version of Land Whore, same 75 ELDM load:

F808B42A-8100-4AEA-8BED-0C68D51EBADC.jpeg

I'm sure I've seen a bigger marmot, but I don't know when. Poor fella just dropped when the bullet hit. It was really cool, I was standing behind my brother looking through the spotter. I watched the contrail of the bullet as it arced and then hit the marmot. Center punched him.

P

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads