JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'll have a .22 suppressor on the way soon, so looking for recommendations on a good, semi-auto .22LR suppressor host. Most important to me is 1) easy of cleaning, 2) reliability and 3) price. This will mostly be a fun plinking around pistol. thanks for any recommendaitons.

I really like the line of vintage S&W model pistols that are the easiest to convert the factory barrels with a threaded adapter.
Another plus is the low axis of the barrel, as you don't need to change the sights.

• S&W 622: Same alloy frame and barrel length options as the 422 but in a silver colored frame with a stainless steel slide.
  • S&W 622VR: Same as the regular 622 but has a ventilated rib (VR) cut in the frame above the barrel. Made only in 1996 in limited numbers. Some made in Houlton Maine have a painted silver frame instead of anodized.
  • S&W 2205: A blue steel variant introduced in the 1992 SHOT Show. Never entered mass production with only 15 manufactured.
  • S&W 2206: Both the frame and the slide are stainless steel. That makes this model noticeably heavier than the alloy frames of the 422 and 622.
  • S&W 2213: Short-barrel version (3-inch) of the 622. Also uses silver alloy frame and stainless steel slide. 8-round flush box magazine. The 10- and 12-round magazine of the full size works as well, but will extend from the bottom of the grip.
  • S&W 2214: Short-barrel version (3-inch) of the 422 with blued alloy frame and blued slide. 8-round flush box magazine. The 10- and 12-round magazine of the full size works as well, but will extend from the bottom of the grip.

s&w 2213 001.JPG

I really like the line of vintage S&W model pistols that are the easiest to convert the factory barrels with a threaded adapter.
Another plus is the low axis of the barrel, as you don't need to change the sights.

• S&W 622: Same alloy frame and barrel length options as the 422 but in a silver colored frame with a stainless steel slide.
  • S&W 622VR: Same as the regular 622 but has a ventilated rib (VR) cut in the frame above the barrel. Made only in 1996 in limited numbers. Some made in Houlton Maine have a painted silver frame instead of anodized.
  • S&W 2205: A blue steel variant introduced in the 1992 SHOT Show. Never entered mass production with only 15 manufactured.
  • S&W 2206: Both the frame and the slide are stainless steel. That makes this model noticeably heavier than the alloy frames of the 422 and 622.
  • S&W 2213: Short-barrel version (3-inch) of the 622. Also uses silver alloy frame and stainless steel slide. 8-round flush box magazine. The 10- and 12-round magazine of the full size works as well, but will extend from the bottom of the grip.
  • S&W 2214: Short-barrel version (3-inch) of the 422 with blued alloy frame and blued slide. 8-round flush box magazine. The 10- and 12-round magazine of the full size works as well, but will extend from the bottom of the grip.

View attachment 1796296
I wasn't aware of these, so thank you. I have a CS9, so I'll look into these!

I have been really happy with my Taurus TX22. It came with a threaded barrel, adapter, and two 16 round mags for $300. I really like the feel of the grip and so have my friends. Didn't really need to change the sights to use my Sparrow with it, but did get the fiber optic sights from Tandemkross for it also.

20240106_160152.jpg 20240106_160110.jpg

Last Edited:
The Ruger MK or 22/45 series pistol have the smallest moving parts, hence my recommendation. I have a TX22, several different Ruger 22/45's, Ruger SR22, and have shot a Victory, G44, and several others. If you want the quietest, the Ruger is the way to go. Not nearly as much metal banging back and forth making noises. Pretty much only a bolt action is quieter.

As mentioned above the MK or 22/45 are tough to beat for a host. With the requirements you listed the Ruger MK IV or 22/45. They're easy to clean, reliable but are not the least expensive option.

While not the cheapest option the Ruger MK IV or 22/45 in my opinion is worth the added cost. You get Ruger customer service, tons of aftermarket parts available and so many out there you can find unlimited info on them If any issues.

The Ruger MK or 22/45 series pistol have the smallest moving parts, hence my recommendation. I have a TX22, several different Ruger 22/45's, Ruger SR22, and have shot a Victory, G44, and several others. If you want the quietest, the Ruger is the way to go. Not nearly as much metal banging back and forth making noises. Pretty much only a bolt action is quieter.
Well said exactly what kmk1012 said but... go with the MKIV one button takedown you will never look back !

Plus with the Ruger Mk series pistols there are tons of accessories it has been around a long time I have four and they run excellent suppressed just keep them clean and they will do you right !

View attachment 1796296
These are a cool piece of history, and they come up on auction sites for ~200-300... almost bought one, until I saw the price of 8 rd magazines (~100+).

I'd 2nd the 21a, if you don't care to lose sights once suppressed, sadly you're a few days late on their sale and rebate that had them for $250... hopefully they do something similar in the future. Beretta 71s are also badass, harsh to pay 700+ on auction sites when they were ~400 from century arms years ago.

Last Edited:
Re your criteria,

(1) ease of cleaning in terms of the gun imo means excluding ones that are hard to break down. Most modern guns are not very difficult at least the ones I have used. ruger mk3 would be something to avoid for difficulty in breaking down.

Most important factor for cleaning IMO is choosing good ammo. American eagle suppressor, cci clean, cci higher end, anything eley, possibly tenex? Don't buy Remington, Winchester, aguila, and be careful what bulk ammo you use. Federal champion is pretty clean burning.

Second most important factor for cleaning is use a good dry lube. Wet lube will grab every particle of crap from dirty 22 shells and deposit it in ur gun and suppressor. Also a ceramic dry lube will make the gun easier to clean once the gun has been coated enough times with it. I have a suppressor thats seen many thousands of rounds and never cleaned and it still look almost like new. Clean ammo plus drylube helps a lot. Don't just shoot the cheapest bulk crap you can find.

(2) reliability. Look for reliability cycling subsonics. That info can be hard to find. Often heavy slides are less reliable cycling subs but not always.

(3) price. Check gun deals. Walther p22Q was $215 a week or so ago but now it's back up to $249. Won't be as accurate as a target gun (more expensive). I just added a ppks and they are about $290-$350. Most Walther pistols have a threaded barrel. Taurus are always inexpensive. Colt government 1911 (made by Walther) is pretty cheap but not sure if it will cycle subs reliably. Buckmark is not cheap (similar to ruger) but it and ruger may be more accurate than the less expensive guns. Many threaded guns such as the ppq and buckmark include suppressor sight heights or use stock heights that are tall enough. Some are red dot ready also.

Fe co-witnessed red dot and iron sights that clear the suppressor (probably could find a Taurus that has this for fairly inexpensive or just one with a top rail and you can add your own red dot/micro red dot):

Walther ppq (this is not the same as Walther p22Q. P22Q is hammer fired, ppq is striker fired) for $249. If you like striker fired guns this is a screaming deal:

335C72CE-CAAC-43A4-BB3C-88C0BA70F65D.jpeg

Ppks, limited capacity compared to ppq (12 rounds) or p22Q (15 rounds using tandemkross mag baseplate). All Walther 22 guns require an $18ish adapter to use standard 1/2x28 suppressors, including their subguns, of which there are many kinds as they make them for colt, hk, iwi, beretta, etc.
9F1D50D1-5B6A-48EC-AFD7-1A1E001DB2DB.jpeg

Last Edited:
Midway sells them.
Smith & Wesson Magazine S&W 41, 422, 622, 2206 22 Long Rifle 10-Round Steel Blue

List Price: $28.00
Our Price: $27.99

As far as cleaning, it's a very simple take down with no tools, just a spent 22 shell.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top