JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have always been partial to Leupold scopes. I think they would work well for you in that yardage range. A variable power scope is nice if that appeals to you. The are not too expensive but not low end. Bushnell also makes some decent scopes in the same price range.
But, it all comes down to the price range you are willing to spend.

Not sure what 'best" is....
But I would suggest something in the 2x-7x range or 3x-9x range with a 33mm to 40mm diameter objective lens.
A fixed 4x is also a excellent choice.
As for a brand , another vote for Leupold.
Andy

Leupolds with Burris (dont reccomend the E-1 reticule) coming in second. I like a little more power on my 270's and 25-06"s. A good 3-9 or a 4-12 is what i use. Dont know your price range but i would not spend less than a 200$ on a scope that will give you decent service and another 30-50$ for rings and a mount.
A couple of lines i like if you buy new:
Leupnld Freedom line or Burris Fullfield line. Both have lifetime warrantys.
One personal reccomendation dont go much above 12 power most hunters i know dont use more than about 6 power. The type of hunting you do will determind the pnwer you will need. Good luck.

The "standard" for a rifle like that 270 has been a 3-9x40 for ages... 4-12 has become fairly popular, but I'd not probably not do that if the ranges could be short, as in hunting the western side of Oregon or Washington.
On my full size rifles I have used Leupold 3-9x40s from their Rifleman line up to the VX-R. These work well for me out to 3-400 yards. On my wife's Compact (16" barrel, short LOP) we have used 2-7x33s, both VX-II and VX-R.
I think the cheapest Leupold I bought was the $200 gun show Vari-X II. New Leupolds are usually mid $200s on up, with it being very easy to spend $500 or (much) more.
I've also used Bushnell scopes when the budget doesn't allow "Leupold money". The Canadian Moose that Dad pummeled with his 30-06 was shot thru a Bushnell Sportview 3-9 that had travelled by truck and boat to Thunder Bay Canada. I bought that scope at GI Joes for $40.
Even if pinching pennies to buy a scope, don't scrimp on the mounts and rings. I'd rather have a decent set of Leupold (or similar) mounts and rings sporting a cheap scope than the other way around.

Then take the time to make sure your reticle is level to the gun.

The usual suspects here are right on the money.

A good 3 by 9 is perfect. 2 x 7 keeps the package more trim, and better for the woods. Fixed 4 power for sheer ruggedness and nothing to tempt you to be fiddling with it in the field.

Each will fill the bill for the unusually sensible purposes you aptly described. Leupold if it is within your means.

"the best" you say....

If you want the best then its the Leupold VX-6HD 3-18 with illuminated reticle. These are on sale right now at Midwayusa, on sale they are not cheap.... but they are "the best" (IMO)

Regardless of what you can afford, or end up with... get the scope with the widest field of view (FOV) at 100yds.

"the best" you say....

If you want the best then its the Leupold VX-6HD 3-18 with illuminated reticle. These are on sale right now at Midwayusa, on sale they are not cheap.... but they are "the best" (IMO)

Regardless of what you can afford, or end up with... get the scope with the widest field of view (FOV) at 100yds.

I may disagree with your choice of optics, Sir, but I will defend to the death your right to use them.

'tis merely my attraction to the Simple. The OP was amazingly and refreshingly basic toward his known (apearringly seasoned) expectations. He is apparently a very proud novice (I still consider that as my current Badge) and has this whole thing pretty figured out as being pretty Simple.

It is.

Thank all for their input, it greatly appreciated, actually more than you could know.

Here's the interesting thing a really great person I have met before at the Renton fish and game club.
Gave me a
Redfield 4 plex 4-12-40mm scope. I about crapped my shorts, he is upper level microsoft mgmt has multitude of firearms

Well this looks like a good fit for me.
Your opinions please.
Thank You
Mike

Thank all for their input, it greatly appreciated, actually more than you could know.

Here's the interesting thing a really great person I have met before at the Renton fish and game club.
Gave me a
Redfield 4 plex 4-12-40mm scope. I about crapped my shorts, he is upper level microsoft mgmt has multitude of firearms

Well this looks like a good fit for me.
Your opinions please.
Thank You
Mike
Thats a good quality budget scope for the money, it will last you a lifetime. The Field of View is a bit small IMO if you plan to hunt with it

It's not a junk scope, and the price is right. :D

Follow the good advice already given for quality mounts and levelling.

Me - I set a variable scope on 6x and leave it there.
If you get into a tight short-range situation (like heavy brush or timber), crank it down to 4X.
If you want to benchrest something far away, crank it up to 11.

Often, max zoom (12 on your scope) can do funny things with light, optical aberrations, etc.

That's a nice gift and one fitting to the rifle. We have a couple of Redfield products, both old and new, and are pleased with the performance. It'll cost a lot more to make any reasonable improvement.

The current ("winter") issue of Outdoor Life has a review of scopes that is interesting. Yes I know ODL doesn't use month/season anymore, is four issues a year, and the current issue is the "Primal issue". See if the local library will let you in to browse (there is a 15 min. limit here) and check out all the ODL back issues where they review all sorts of stuff.

Leopold Vari-X (I like the 1.5x5 personally) 3x9 will do anything needed by the .270, or 98% of most other cartridges. Everyone buys some 2.5x30 power super neato ultra-expensive scope and then after the novelty wears off it stays on 4x for life, which is fine if that makes you happy, but why not just get a good ($300-$800) scope that does what YOU need and avoid the fads?

My 270 has a Leopold 3-9x and in most cases it is perfect. My backup rifle ended up with a 5-20x Nikon and I'm starting to really like the extra power. I kill two kinds of deer...those with milk on the lips and those with really big horns. I hunt Eastern Oregon and with the 20x I can evaluate if 1) Bambi even has horns and 2) are the horns big enough that I want to commit to a cross valley stalk for a trophy. I could carry a spotting scope but no thanks.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top