JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So the warranty that Leupold, Warne and RCBS has is guaranteed crap? I do not buy that logic. I respect a company that stands behind its product and is willing to put it in writing.

So the warranty that Leupold, Warne and RCBS has is guaranteed crap? I do not buy that logic. I respect a company that stands behind its product and is willing to put it in writing.
I was kidding, I personally prefer the best, even if I have to pay for it to get fixed later, but that's me. If a warranty makes you feel warm and fuzzy, buy the one with the warranty.

Take a look at this guy to protect your investment. I've got this cover for my Swaro.

Something else to consider; REI and Costco used to provide almost unlimited lifetime warranties, but no longer do so after the scum ruined it for the legitimate ones. For example, I had heard of people returning shoes to REI that were rode hard and put away wet. After a few years of abuse, they were returned "because they didn't like them".

Something else to consider; REI and Costco used to provide almost unlimited lifetime warranties, but no longer do so after the scum ruined it for the legitimate ones. For example, I had heard of people returning shoes to REI that were rode hard and put away wet. After a few years of abuse, they were returned "because they didn't like them".
When a company changes its policy / support maybe its time to look elsewhere.

When a company changes its policy / support maybe its time to look elsewhere.
Agreed, but my point is more that your lifetime warranty is only good if the company is still in business and also if they are able to maintain it.

I appreciate the no fault, no questions warranties of Leupold, Vortex, Ruger, etc, but at this point, of those mentioned, I only have a Leupold VX6 remaining in the collection.

In the end, it all comes down to the level of risk that an individual is willing to accept. For example, I know your dollar amount is at least that of the rifle that you purchased from me sight unseen.

Good luck, and let us know what you buy and your range report.

Last Edited:
Then again, you're talking to a guy that voided a brand new Tundra transmission warranty by putting an AT cooler in a week after getting it from the dealer.

214b0c68-b96c-4ff2-81d9-3c0dcc94a30e.jpg

Jruby, anyway you can go to Cabellas and see what they have on hand to compare and contrast?

I have a pair of Swaro binocs, and everytime I pull them out I literally recognize the POP which they give on images. I don't get that with my Leupold (much cheaper) scope....ever.

I'd look at the Pentax noted above, Kowa, Swaros and also include Vortex in that group. My son came by and was talking about doing some bow hunting, needed binocs and he knew I had several pairs. I let him choose any pair I had (but didn't bring out the Swaros of course), and I pulled out like 5 - all solid quality (2 Nikons, Pentax, Vortex, Bushnell), and after looked through them all and taking a lot of time, he chose the cheapest: Bushnell Bone Collector Trophys, claiming that they were the best glass. Cost new off Amazon was $69.99 but there was an additional $40 mail in rebate which I mailed and received, so call them $30. He's happy, I'm happy.

Which may only prove there is no accounting for some peoples taste:) :D But certainly try them all out before you buy.

Good luck!

I am tired of cheap hard to focus old spotting scopes.
I am looking for a nice spotting scope for around 1500$
I would use it at the range and in the field. Wanting a wide range of magnification 20-60 power.
I have considered Swarvarski or Zeis but neither come with the guarantee that Burris, Leupold or Vortex do.
I don't expect to use it past about 500 yards - I want to see 22 caliber holes at 300 yards on a target.
I have little experience in this topic so I am asking for a bit of guidance.
Check Midway's prices on Vortex Razors.
They were running some really good specials.
Best,
Gary

Another vote for Kowa, Meopta and Swaro, had a Kowa at their lower end but still awesome and then upgraded to a Swaro. Don't get hung up on a warranty. Leupold set the gold standard with their lifetime warranty but did it at a time when it meant they stood behind their product and they still do. For Leupold it was about integrity, for everyone else now it is so you will buy their product. Leupold makes some great products still and rarely need the warranty they come with (talking about golden ring products). Due to their success, everyone in the optics world has copied their warranty policy but it is because a lot of times you need to use it if you are a heavy user of their product. Most of the companies you are referring to have lifetime warranties because they have factored in margins for failure due to sub standard designs and manufacturing. These companies manufacture to a price point that dictates the quality is low and the failure rate high and when a product fails they just ship the customer a new one because it costs them so little for manufacturing in China and the Philippines. They know most consumers put a scope on a rifle or use a pair of binoculars only a couple times a year at most so the likelihood of failure of their subpar product is low.

In the end, a warranty doesn't matter when you are in the woods glassing for your perfect bull or buck of a lifetime and don't see it because your lifetime warranty binoculars or spotting scope doesn't have the coatings or clarity to pick out that small piece of antler sticking up above the brush. Same goes for that scope with a lifetime warranty that you bumped when you tripped hiking on your hunt and you don't realize it lost zero or had a mechanical failure. Then you get the shot opportunity on a lifetime animal, have the perfect rest, perfect trigger release and when the shot goes off nothing happens to the animal and then it takes off. Only to later find out when you go shoot your rifle that point of impact vs. point of aim has changed.

TLDR: Don't get hung up on the warranty, instead look for companies with a solid reputation over a long period of time who utilize manufacturing in Japan, Austria, Germany, Czech Republic and the USA. Even if they have a product failure, they will still likely make it right.

Think I have three spotting scopes, my biggest problem has been finding a good usable tripod.

I keep a Redfield in the truck with a window mount and it's stable and easy to focus.

My Leupold I have tried 3 different tripods and can't get a good stable set up that I can keep the target focused.

My third is a pistol range Kowa built on to my pistol shooting box. Great set up.

Think I have three spotting scopes, my biggest problem has been finding a good usable tripod.

I keep a Redfield in the truck with a window mount and it's stable and easy to focus.

My Leupold I have tried 3 different tripods and can't get a good stable set up that I can keep the target focused.

My third is a pistol range Kowa built on to my pistol shooting box. Great set up.
Look for a good used photography tripod off craigslist or one of the other classified pages. Something from Manfrotto or similar designed for DSLR with large telephoto lenses. I prefer lever lock legs over twist lock.

I would try to visit a retailer that had a variety of quality glass in stock so you can try them side-by-side under the same outdoor light conditions, I recently did this with binoculars, go to a retailer that will let you take them outside before buying...
I also would not assume that a higher price assures higher quality. For decades I have been told (and believe) that optics are an item where you really do get what you pay for and high-price equals high-quality. However, due to improved technology (glass coatings) and automated production that is changing. I would try to just ignore price and brand names, and just do a "blind" evaluation of the quality of the image of the spotting scope.
The ones mentioned probably are the "cream of the crop", but you might be surprised how close (or equal) you can get today at a lower price.

Tract Optics 27-55x80
For $1494. Direct only. The owners answer the phones and are on the other end of the CHAT button. Great to deal with.

Warranty is a lifetime warranty

My son bought a 10 year old Leica from a guy on these classifieds, and it is a fine piece of glass. For my eyes, it seems as good or better than other European glass. I think he paid $900 for it. We have compared it to my Swaro, and it's awesome. I paid a LOT more for mine.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top