JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am tired of cheap hard to focus old spotting scopes.
I am looking for a nice spotting scope for around 1500$
I would use it at the range and in the field. Wanting a wide range of magnification 20-60 power.
I have considered Swarvarski or Zeis but neither come with the guarantee that Burris, Leupold or Vortex do.
I don't expect to use it past about 500 yards - I want to see 22 caliber holes at 300 yards on a target.
I have little experience in this topic so I am asking for a bit of guidance.

Buy once, cry once my friend. At $1500, you're almost to $2200 for a Swaro ATS/STS. I've got the ATX, and it's amazing. Give @Buster Beaver a call, he might be able to help you on the Swaro pricing.

Buy once, cry once my friend. At $1500, you're almost to $2200 for a Swaro ATS/STS. I've got the ATX, and it's amazing. Give @Buster Beaver a call, he might be able to help you on the Swaro pricing.
They only issue I have wit Swarovski is they only have a five year warranty
I hope you are doing well

thank you for the info

James

I can't speak to the warranty, but the glass on the ATX and my SLC 8x is top notch. I'll take that over my Leupold any day. Good luck in your search. I don't take you as a guy to be tough on your gear, so I wouldn't worry about the warranty part, but then again, I bought the Swaro.

In other news, I lost one of the feet for my Swaro tripod, and they replaced it. I told them I lost it hunting, but they just sent a new one regardless.

I am pretty tough on my gear. I dont abuse it but I am not gentle either. If it doesn't work I get rid of it. I will consider Swarovski as I see it as a lifetime purchase. Heck I would probably end up spending the savings on another rifle. I have rifles I have never shot yet. Need to buy a new safe. 1st world problems suck - nah.

I am pretty tough on my gear. I dont abuse it but I am not gentle either. If it doesn't work I get rid of it. I will consider Swarovski as I see it as a lifetime purchase. Heck I would probably end up spending the savings on another rifle. I have rifles I have never shot yet. Need to buy a new safe. 1st world problems suck - nah.
You've probably seen my for sale ads, heck, you bought one of the rifles that I bought and never got around to shooting.

Last Edited:
I am beginning to look for property in eastern Oregon - looking for about 100 acres undeveloped - wife finally asked why I had not bought any yet. Figure that is a green light to go.

i would suggest the Leupold GR 12-60x60 HD. I love mine. Its an awesome spotter. and right at your $1500 price point!

I've used the Leupold, Vortex, Zeiss and Pentax. The Pentax PF -100ED has the best glass by far and is closer to the $1500 price point you're looking for. I paid around $1600 for mine.

I paid just short of 400 for a low end Leupold which works wonders for me. Besides clearly seeing 6.5 and .234 @ 200 yards even in low light of of a rain storm. I especially like it rotates in the mounting base allowing me to turn the upright eyepiece down to the side making it easier to use for bench shooting. The only down side, at least at the price I paid, is you are left on your own for a carrying / storage case, had to build my own. While a 2000 dollar scope would be sweet, I am not disappointed in mine, and frankly would feel less concern over accidents with it.
Just a thought;
001a.jpg ab2.JPG

I wouldn't prioritize the warranty over glass quality.
22 holes at 300 is asking a lot.
Gonna need primo glass like a Kowa 883 Prominar or similar alpha glass.
I've had my Kowa TSN 77 20X since 1991, never needed another spotting scope

I have a 45 deg offset eyepiece, that way I can rotate my head to use the scope without coming off my rifle

I have a 45 deg offset eyepiece, that way I can rotate my head to use the scope without coming off my rifle
Came here to say that if your budget doesn't allow for a Kowa do not look through a Kowa or whatever you do end up with will bug you for a long time ;)

Came here to say that if your budget doesn't allow for a Kowa do not look through a Kowa or whatever you do end up with will bug you for a long time ;)
Yea
Glass is quite good

The lower priced and older Kowa's are a more affordable option with pretty damn good glass as well

The problem i am having with this older glass is that there is no warranty on the investment. If I go Swarvarski it will be new. With Leupold or even Burris it is warrantied for ever.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top