JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Velocity isn't everything.
True that! However, it is helpful when trying to kill things.
This is from a ladder test I'm working on. Not the velocity I want, but more than enough. I'll circle back around to this load if I can't get this kind of accuracy as I bump up the charges.
ladder test 9.14.21.jpg

.270 is alternative lifestyle, if you get my meaning.
If you allude to a similar expression of "light in the loafers", I may be inclined to agree, since it did contribute greatly in the conclusion of a 6 hour climb up a radical incline strewn with boulders the size of Volkswagens 100 miles above the Arctic Circle on a self-guided hunt.

For such a pursuit requiring that level of milquetoast and limp-wristed effort, I would have relied on no other caliber.

Sheep Rifle (2).png

As a reloader I can load and shoot most any caliber out there. I can hand tailor to the gnats-bubblegum getting whatever just so. As a hunter I want to be able to find a box of ammo on the shelf of any Ace Hardware store I walk into. Sure in a boutique gun stores like Calbelas you might find more 6.8 PRC on the shelf than 270 but in the world I live in it would be more like 6.8 PRC....never heard of her.

I bet in a one building town - gas pump, post office and groceries - some place like Dale Oregon - you will find 30-06,270 and 308 on the shelf. If as I have done by going into some less used calibers ( 257 Roberts, 300 H&H, or 338-06, ... ) you had better have left home with it because odds of finding it on a shelf in eastern oregon is pretty slim.

I bet in a one building town - gas pump, post office and groceries - some place like Dale Oregon - you will find 30-06,270 and 308 on the shelf. If as I have done by going into some less used calibers ( 257 Roberts, 300 H&H, or 338-06, ... ) you had better have left home with it because odds of finding it on a shelf in eastern oregon is pretty slim.
It's a fun argument that some of the traditional chambering guys like to make.
"What if you run out of ammo and you're out in the sticks ?"

If you have an "oddball chambering" you're going to bring more ammo than you need.
And you're not going to shoot up the woods and burn through all your ammo if you are prepared for a hunt.

Its true common ammo is more available but the flip side it the odds are very low its the exact load you zeroed in with.

Those who think .270 isn't "big" enough for elk perhaps haven't seen someone shoot an elk with the caliber or didn't get a chance to hunt with Jack O'Connor. :)

My experience is that an elk takes about one step forward and then drops in his tracks.

The Remington 130 grain pointed soft point is just right for deer or elk. Lots of speed, good penetration and hard hitting.

It's worth considering for someone new to rifles who may not be comfortable with a lot of recoil.

Cheers

When my son was looking for a "hunting rifle". My advice to him was the .30 cal (either .30-06 or .308W). Yes, I used the availability argument. Rrrrright.....what could he find on the shelf.....if he happened to be in some out of the way place and there was a lack of choices for a gun store. And the argument about how both cartridges were "good enough" for generations of hunters. Of course, there was also mention of the consideration of rifle weight. And, how far was he willing to walk (with or without a carcass).

BTW.....
He never went hunting and I've never hunted either. LOL.

Yeah......we both like military style semi autos way too much.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I would go 270 or 7mm rem mag. Both are great rounds that will take both animals. Maybe I'm a bit partial to the 270 since it was the first rifle I owned. My buddy shoots 300wssm for everything and it hasn't let him down yet. A bit powerful for deer but they definitely don't get back up!

.30-30, preferably with a 1-4X scope, will take anything in the PNW and "the frozen north", and a would be a good test of your hunting skills (no 6000 yard shots alllowed, cheaters ;) ), but I'd rather do it with an 80's-90's Remington Model 7 in 7mm-08 shod with 1.5-6X (or 2-7X) scope and a nice comfy sling

Last Edited:
30-06 is perfect all around it slams deer. Never killed an elk with anything other than a compound bow caliber. I think I'll get an elk with the 30-06 this year though or the 7mm rm.

In my humble opinion quality hunting ammo is way more important than caliber. I hunt with a 308 because I also do a ton of target shooting and reloading and everything is common and cheap for the capability you get out of them. I also shot m24s and m110s my last stint in the military so I'm admittedly a little 308 bias.

6.5 creedmoor is the best caliber you can get for the Pacific Northwest in my opinion, less recoil better ballistics than a 308. Guys will tell you more exotic, long action, or magnum calibers are needed. That's just gonna break the bank and make you not want to shoot it for fun. In my opinion they're not needed. Use quality ammo loaded with bullets built for hunting and don't take any shots you shouldn't and you will be glad you went with the 6.5

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews