JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In my life I have had a miniature schnauzer, a pit/mastiff mix and a Australian Cattle dog/Blue Healer mix. All great dogs, all very different dogs. Today out of these breeds I would probably buy another schnauzer-fits my lifestyle the best.

In my life I have had a miniature schnauzer, a pit/mastiff mix and a Australian Cattle dog/Blue Healer mix. All great dogs, all very different dogs. Today out of these breeds I would probably buy another schnauzer-fits my lifestyle the best.

Yeah I'm leaning towards a smaller dog with shorter hair than my last, 90lb fit lab, because of possible apartment living soon. I love labs so much but perhaps I'll try one of the breeds you or someone else on this thread suggested. I've come to believe that the quality of the dog is a close reflection to the quality of household they're living in and the owner. Dogs rarely become bad dogs for reasons other than living in a bad house or with a bad owner.

I can not speak for others but for me the perfect dog is between 50 to 70 pounds. If I have to I can move thier dead weight if they get hurt but yet they are not too small. The breeding I look for is a herding breed crossed with working dog. Examples would be a healer crossed with a German Shepherd or a border collie crossed with a lab. This gives them smarts and makes them less hyper. This is all theory but has worked for me
I love all dogs but there are certain traits I look for. Good luck on finding a great companion.

Being dog people, My wife is just over 80 and has been a professional all her adult life, starting out as a kennel girl at 14 and working her way up from there as a handler and trainer then breeder, which she still does, with her beautiful Blue Merle Miniature American Shepherd stud dog, with a litter on the ground as we speak, aka, Miniature Australian Shepherd, name changed when accepted into the AKC.
I'm not advertising them here and please don't ask me to sell you one, that is done thru the kennel club not online.

I'm going to get some flack probably over this but folks take it as it is intended a Heads Up.

There are substantiated reports of dogs with truly horrible temperaments, and those with equally terrible medical problems that find their way into shelters and pounds. You are buying a pig in a poke when adopting a dog from those places, the other thing is you are reinforcing bad behavior of careless breeders who allow their non spayed and neutered dogs to run loose and breed indiscriminately which keeps the shelters full of dogs of questionable personalities.

Professional breeders of pure breeds
are kept to the requirements of their breed standard. Sure there is the occasional bad apple but for the most part if you get a pup from a breeder from a recommended breeders list from a breed club, you can expect a higher quality animal, that has had all it's shots and testing for problems like blindness hip dysplasia and all sorts of other problems that can be passed from parents to their off spring. You sure won't get that from a "back yard Breeding" of 2 mongrels.

Buying from a reputable breeder is money well spent for a quality animal. Sure you can pick up a mutt from the pound but you may find out that after you have fallen in love with it that it had an incurable disease that will keep you running to the Vet and making them richer, and costing many times more than the pup from a reputable breeder. At least with a true breeder you can have recourse as they will usually guarantee their pups, and they are the first ones who want to know if there is a problem with their animals.

This is food for thought and is why I posted it here.
Think twice before adopting someone else's problems A bad temperament dog can't be trusted with your loved ones and often by the time you find out it can be too late.
I have to sound off on "Pit Bulls" a little, this is a breed that was bred for one thing " Pit fighting", think twice before adopting one of these into your home, especially if it is a mature dog already set in its ways, I get the shivers whenever I hear just how sweet these dogs are then 6 weeks later it rips into your other dogs or worse yet bites your child. They have tremendous power in those jaws and once they get a hold it can be almost impossible to make them let go.
They are cocked and unlocked without a safety. Many cities are enacting bans on the breed because of this.
Please use your heads not your emotions when it comes to buying a dog, with the giant breeds expect a life span of from 8 to 10 years, a GS around 12, and the medium size dog like a Vizsla around 14 or 15, and the ankle biters at least that long and perhaps a couple years longer. It is a commitment, and should be treated as such, and not taken or entered into lightly.
End of rant,
Gabby

I take my Lhasa (a rescue dog) to Dakota Dog Park, almost every day. At least fifty percent of the people I speak with, are there with rescue dogs. Some have a couple. The problems you speak of, would appear to be a non existent issue, not all, but most of the time.
The people that adopt these dogs usually do it out of love and caring rather than looking for perfection or something else to show off. These are the people that for the most part, help fund and volunteer at the shelters and dog parks.
There are breeders that do have the dogs best interest at heart, and do a honest and credible job, but a purebred dog is not for everybody.
Remember, when you adopt a rescue dog, you save two. The one you took home, and the one you made room for at the shelter.
Regardless of what type of dog you have, do your best do discourage overbreeding, and encourage spay and neuter.

Dog owners, like firearms owners, can help their causes by being responsible and helping to create a positive image.

Best,
Gary

Feel free to do what you like I only told it as I've seen it.
Rescue thru the breed clubs is a really good thing, often people decide a particular dog is - too big- too small- too much grooming- too energetic, for them or whatever "too much" they come up with, but if you adopt from a shelter I recommend a Vet check ASAP and with an agreement with the shelter if a serious disease or temperament fault (biting, aggression or other behavioral problems) is found.
We as reputable breeders recommend the same thing of our puppy buyers and if there is a congenital problem found they get their money back, if they decide to keep the pup we often will return at least part of it and insist they get the pup neutered first, or replace the pup. If they are a show or breeder customer they automatically get the option of money returned or a replacement pup.
One thing with getting a puppy , you can raise and train them to suit, and not have to deal with something that is already ingrained due to poor training or socialization. Most people don't even know what that means. Socialization is introducing your pup at a young age to different experiences and stimulus's.
A dog who hasn't been properly socialized can become a fear biter or extremely territorial, listing just a couple problems, you can look up others.
So folks take the time to weigh your options, I know you can do it , you do every time you buy another gun or car or?????
You name it. :D
Gabby

Last Edited:
My dog Jake I paid about 150 for him and in the next week paid 3500 dollars because he had Parco. I am funny once I adopt a cat or a dog they are my responsibility regardless. Spent my years bonus on him. I would do it all over again. The out come would have been significantly different when I was growing up on the farm. We would have moved onto Jake2. Today my dogs and cat are family and I would not have it any other way.They are not replaceable though some day thier time in sun will come to an end so is life.

Fred (his original name was Scrappy:eek:) came from the Silky Terrier rescue group. Great organization. If you want a big 150 pound dog packed into a compact 17 pound frame, the Silky Terrier is hard to beat . A very entertaining breed:p

Uhhhh,you do realize that a cattle dog and a blue healer are basically the same dog?o_O
At least the guys around here with 5-6 of them on the back of their trucks call them the same dog:D

Feel free to do what you like I only told it as I've seen it.
Rescue thru the breed clubs is a really good thing, often people decide a particular dog is - too big- too small- too much grooming- too energetic, for them or whatever "too much" they come up with, but if you adopt from a shelter I recommend a Vet check ASAP and with an agreement with the shelter if a serious disease or temperament fault (biting, aggression or other behavioral problems) is found.
We as reputable breeders recommend the same thing of our puppy buyers and if there is a congenital problem found they get their money back, if they decide to keep the pup we often will return at least part of it and insist they get the pup neutered first, or replace the pup. If they are a show or breeder customer they automatically get the option of money returned or a replacement pup.
One thing with getting a puppy , you can raise and train them to suit, and not have to deal with something that is already ingrained due to poor training or socialization. Most people don't even know what that means. Socialization is introducing your pup at a young age to different experiences and stimulus's.
A dog who hasn't been properly socialized can become a fear biter or extremely territorial, listing just a couple problems, you can look up others.
So folks take the time to weigh your options, I know you can do it , you do every time you buy another gun or car or?????
You name it. :D
Gabby
I kinda agree ,I would go with a pound pup but maybe not a full grown. And doing a full blood dog doesn't insure a perfect dog. Some breeds have more health issues than mixes (golden's)
You can over come a lot of pound dog problems "IF" you are very patient and know dogs. But it can take tons of patience.
I have seen folks that believe they are doing something great by adopting multiple dogs. Fine, as long as you clear up the first dog's issues before you get the next.
Sure there is some reason the dog is at the pound. Doesn't alway mean it's a bad reason. Maybe just a stupid owner that got the wrong match or bad timing and the folks had to down size
Heck I saw a guy with an Akita. Couldn't figure out why she wanted to go after other dogs.
Did you read about that puppy that is going to become a 100+# dog?
Pure bread or pound dog,you need to understand what you are getting into before you take it home.

For myself I'm torn between a yellow lab and a Jack Russel
But I can't justify paying $400 or more for a dog.
And as far as health care? My limit is pretty low. I know folks that spent thousands on dogs that died a couple months later

The wife got this rejected used dog for free from the rescue. (squirrel not included)

Sadie with squirell.png

Pretty much reaffirming you get what you pay for. As an aside, she took out 3 possums last year. The 4th survived only due to my intervention. If it needs to be kilt and shaken a tad, this is your dog. If you want dog hugs: NOT so much. But she's 13 going on 14 years now. The only squirrel;l shell be shakin is one that's been run over.

Last edited by a moderator:
I kinda agree ,I would go with a pound pup but maybe not a full grown. And doing a full blood dog doesn't insure a perfect dog. Some breeds have more health issues than mixes (golden's)
You can over come a lot of pound dog problems "IF" you are very patient and know dogs. But it can take tons of patience.
I have seen folks that believe they are doing something great by adopting multiple dogs. Fine, as long as you clear up the first dog's issues before you get the next.
Sure there is some reason the dog is at the pound. Doesn't alway mean it's a bad reason. Maybe just a stupid owner that got the wrong match or bad timing and the folks had to down size
Heck I saw a guy with an Akita. Couldn't figure out why she wanted to go after other dogs.
Did you read about that puppy that is going to become a 100+# dog?
Pure bread or pound dog,you need to understand what you are getting into before you take it home.

For myself I'm torn between a yellow lab and a Jack Russel
But I can't justify paying $400 or more for a dog.
And as far as health care? My limit is pretty low. I know folks that spent thousands on dogs that died a couple months later

I'm guessing you know the difference between the terrier and the retriever's temperaments, but just in case you don't or some of our readers here are interested.
in a nut shell the lab is a fairly laid back calm breed that lives just to please you, and can spend hours retrieving a ball or other thrown object, in or out of water. This gives your throwing arm lots of exercise but the rest of you can take it easy! :rolleyes::D
The Russell Terriers and most other terrier breeds are great pets as long as they are kept in a controlled environment.
They were bred to operate independently of the master's commands, going after such little critters as rabbits , rats and other vermin, some of the larger breeds can take on a badger, this includes Dachshunds so these dogs are independent and have a tendency to be willful and tough and even ignore your commands. They are intelligent and if you know what you are doing they can be trained, just don't expect them to respond as a herding breed or retriever will.
If you know what to expect from a different breed you won't be as likely to get an animal that will be a disappointment to you. Oh by the way animal behaviorists have spent tons of money and time studying how a dog develops from the time it is born, and how to select a particular individual based on the dogs responses to some simple tests. Briefly if the dog hasn't been properly socialized by the age of 16 weeks, you can pretty much forget overcoming that deficit, up until the puppies eyes and ears open, they operate almost totally on instinct, because all they do is eat and sleep at the snack bar. Once their eyes and ears open they start taking in their surroundings and become trainable, up until they are 8 weeks old they should be with mom an siblings in order to know how to behave as a dog, after 8 weeks they can be placed in their new home and family, at this time everything you do with this little creature shapes how it will grow up. If it develops bad habits it's your fault!
So unless you are experienced with training dogs, I highly recommend you check every dog training book you can from the library and study them, and I do mean STUDY, because every book isn't the final word on training.
BTW the military trains their dogs as does the law enforcement K9 trainers, ie; drug sniffers etc, WITHOUT food relying on praise instead and play with their favorite toy , and it works, a dog attuned to you wants your praise and approval and doesn't need food as a reward for doing right, punishment to them can be simply a stern look or a growled BAD DOG or even lack of praise itself. My wife's dog at times comes to watch me as I'm eating, and all I have to do is turn and look him in the eye and he will leave the room. I've never punished him with anything other that telling him to leave. (firmly) We don't tolerate begging.
Remember dogs are animals not robots and often get excited and "forget", so be prepared with the correct response, you don't have to beat a dog to get their attention. There are times however when you had better establish dominance, if you have watched any of the programs on animal planet, that shows the interaction of pack animals, you will see the Alpha dog or female (the B ich word isn't a bad word it is the correct name for a female dog or wolf, and it isn't spelled bubblegum!) putting the other dogs in their place. If you allow your dog to dictate to you, you are not the Alpha and you aren't in control. Be certain to never permit and be ready to be physical if needed in order to make it clear to the dog just who is in command. You will both be happier for it.
A growl or a bite will require the strongest responses from you. I've had a dog growl and bare teeth to me and they instantly find themselves flat on their back with my fingers at their throat being shook like a rag for about 30 seconds meanwhile growling bad dog at them. They get the message quickly that is how alpha dogs maintain control of the pack.
One last thing if you want a biddable puppy try them with a ball or squeaker toy, preferably in a narrow hall way where they can't get away without coming by you. Toss the toy down after you have gotten the pups attention and excited them with it, then when they run after it you can say fetch or get it, they will typically want to grab it and run off and chew it or hope you will chase them, all great fun!
Now is when the narrow hall comes into play, as you can scoop them up as they try to get by you, praise them and take the toy from them, and repeat and always call them to you, the pup that quickly learns you will keep throwing for them is very trainable and is more biddable than the pup who will not do so, and is obviously a better prospect as a new family member. Keep in mind a tired puppy may just want to take a nap and not be interested in playing games.
Puppies have personalities from a very young age, and the independent and fearful ones are the least likely for a good prospect to be a willing and useful addition to your home.
Enough of my ramblings, I hope you have found them informative and useful.
Gabby

Last Edited:
Uhhhh,you do realize that a cattle dog and a blue healer are basically the same dog?o_O
At least the guys around here with 5-6 of them on the back of their trucks call them the same dog:D

Yeah I always thought they were the same thing too. The lady at the rescue I adopted him from was very adamant that they were two different breeds. She kind of lectured me on the subject . So from that day I always called him a heeler/cattle dog mix. Her scolding must of stuck with me.

In any case he wasn't meant to be a pet. I was working outside of Evanston, Wyoming and left him with some friends that had a bunch of working dogs. This happened a couple times over the course of some months. Eventually I came back and my pet was no longer a pet but a working dog himself. It was the damnedest thing to watch instincts and the other dogs teach him what to do. So, he now has a good home in Wyoming and I am currently without a dog.

Yeah I always thought they were the same thing too. The lady at the rescue I adopted him from was very adamant that they were two different breeds. She kind of lectured me on the subject . So from that day I always called him a heeler/cattle dog mix. Her scolding must of stuck with me.

In any case he wasn't meant to be a pet. I was working outside of Evanston, Wyoming and left him with some friends that had a bunch of working dogs. This happened a couple times over the course of some months. Eventually I came back and my pet was no longer a pet but a working dog himself. It was the damnedest thing to watch instincts and the other dogs teach him what to do. So, he now has a good home in Wyoming and I am currently without a dog.
She's talking out her azz

I'm guessing you know the difference between the terrier and the retriever's temperaments, but just in case you don't or some of our readers here are interested.
in a nut shell the lab is a fairly laid back calm breed that lives just to please you, and can spend hours retrieving a ball or other thrown object, in or out of water. This gives your throwing arm lots of exercise but the rest of you can take it easy! :rolleyes::D
The Russell Terriers and most other terrier breeds are great pets as long as they are kept in a controlled environment.
They were bred to operate independently of the master's commands, going after such little critters as rabbits , rats and other vermin, some of the larger breeds can take on a badger, this includes Dachshunds so these dogs are independent and have a tendency to be willful and tough and even ignore your commands. They are intelligent and if you know what you are doing they can be trained, just don't expect them to respond as a herding breed or retriever will.
If you know what to expect from a different breed you won't be as likely to get an animal that will be a disappointment to you. Oh by the way animal behaviorists have spent tons of money and time studying how a dog develops from the time it is born, and how to select a particular individual based on the dogs responses to some simple tests. Briefly if the dog hasn't been properly socialized by the age of 16 weeks, you can pretty much forget overcoming that deficit, up until the puppies eyes and ears open, they operate almost totally on instinct, because all they do is eat and sleep at the snack bar. Once their eyes and ears open they start taking in their surroundings and become trainable, up until they are 8 weeks old they should be with mom an siblings in order to know how to behave as a dog, after 8 weeks they can be placed in their new home and family, at this time everything you do with this little creature shapes how it will grow up. If it develops bad habits it's your fault!
So unless you are experienced with training dogs, I highly recommend you check every dog training book you can from the library and study them, and I do mean STUDY, because every book isn't the final word on training.
BTW the military trains their dogs as does the law enforcement K9 trainers, ie; drug sniffers etc, WITHOUT food relying on praise instead and play with their favorite toy , and it works, a dog attuned to you wants your praise and approval and doesn't need food as a reward for doing right, punishment to them can be simply a stern look or a growled BAD DOG or even lack of praise itself. My wife's dog at times comes to watch me as I'm eating, and all I have to do is turn and look him in the eye and he will leave the room. I've never punished him with anything other that telling him to leave. (firmly) We don't tolerate begging.
Remember dogs are animals not robots and often get excited and "forget", so be prepared with the correct response, you don't have to beat a dog to get their attention. There are times however when you had better establish dominance, if you have watched any of the programs on animal planet, that shows the interaction of pack animals, you will see the Alpha dog or female (the B ich word isn't a bad word it is the correct name for a female dog or wolf, and it isn't spelled bubblegum!) putting the other dogs in their place. If you allow your dog to dictate to you, you are not the Alpha and you aren't in control. Be certain to never permit and be ready to be physical if needed in order to make it clear to the dog just who is in command. You will both be happier for it.
A growl or a bite will require the strongest responses from you. I've had a dog growl and bare teeth to me and they instantly find themselves flat on their back with my fingers at their throat being shook like a rag for about 30 seconds meanwhile growling bad dog at them. They get the message quickly that is how alpha dogs maintain control of the pack.
One last thing if you want a biddable puppy try them with a ball or squeaker toy, preferably in a narrow hall way where they can't get away without coming by you. Toss the toy down after you have gotten the pups attention and excited them with it, then when they run after it you can say fetch or get it, they will typically want to grab it and run off and chew it or hope you will chase them, all great fun!
Now is when the narrow hall comes into play, as you can scoop them up as they try to get by you, praise them and take the toy from them, and repeat and always call them to you, the pup that quickly learns you will keep throwing for them is very trainable and is more biddable than the pup who will not do so, and is obviously a better prospect as a new family member. Keep in mind a tired puppy may just want to take a nap and not be interested in playing games.
Puppies have personalities from a very young age, and the independent and fearful ones are the least likely for a good prospect to be a willing and useful addition to your home.
Enough of my ramblings, I hope you have found them informative and useful.
Gabby
I do in fact know the difference. One can ride easily on the back of my quad and the other swims.
That's all I know

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads