JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've had a Great Pyrenees for the last 22 years. I've had several different breads of dogs growing up. At one point we had several Pyrenees guarding 200 head of sheep. That's when I discovered how good they were guarding against harm. Take away the sheep and the family becomes their herd to guard.
It's unbelievable how our dog has bonded with our kids. He has never ever nipped at any of them. Or growled or any type of annoyed behavior toward the kids even when he is tired. The kids rest their heads on him while they watch tv.
Outside in the fenced yard he becomes the boss. Ups man comes and he circles around the kids constantly. And if the kids come up to the fence he always wedges himself inbetweeen. Nope nope your not thinking of touching my herd are you?
He is gentle even around babies. He knows!
Runs thru the house and all of a sudden a kid is in his way, he will plow into chairs or whatever to avoid the kids.

Now they do get a little on the big size. I picked the runt of the little and he is right about 132 pounds.
My others have been 160-180 pounds.

View attachment 341367

Yup doing what he has been bred to do, being a guardian!

I like almost all dogs.
Its hard not to play favorites... But my favorite dog I've had was my girl Sheba.
She was a German Shepard / Husky mix.
Great dog ..."Mamma" to our cats , a walking buddy , and liked to keep us laughing.
Andy
100_1164.JPG Our House 03NOV01 - 57.jpg

Good points Gabby1. We're dog people and usually always like to have 2 as we are away during the day and dogs need companions too. I vetted a rescue terrier for a while before deciding to bring it home, his demeanor was mellow, he was attentive and obedient. At the time our twins were 2. As soon as the dog saw my wife when I brought him home he latched on to her. Didn't want anything to do with anyone else. He would push his way between her and the kids. Thought it was kind of cute until he bit my boy on the cheek. He went back. I felt bad, it really wasn't his fault. He'd been to 2 other homes already and was being fostered by a guy I worked with. I thought I could make it work out, sometimes you just can't.

I like all dogs, big or small. I prefer females, only had 2 males and one was the terrier above, don't even know how many dogs have cycled through our place. When the older kids were here they each had to have dogs of their own but you know how that works out.

Some things to consider. What's your lifestyle? Active, sedentary, gone all the time, never leave the house? Most dogs like activity, Mastiffs seems to be one of the exceptions, they're happy just hanging out in front of a fire or laying on the porch. Great dogs but they do have issues. Smaller dogs can be defensive, they have to be sometimes. Any dog can be aggressive. Big dogs that dig or chew can be big problems. While it's not politically correct I won't get, nor would I recommend a rescue or hand me down as a long term family member. You want to raise it from a pup if you can, then it will always be 'your' dog. Purebreds can have inherent inbreeding issues. I really like muts. Big dogs are expensive. All dogs need activity whether they like it or not, they need to get out and run or walk daily. They can be lazy. I like a dog I don't have to keep an eye on. I have property and don't kennel dogs anymore (used to have hounds) and want them around me wherever I am. I don't care if they run around but need to come when called. I like to walk the woods, small dogs have problems getting around in brushy areas and tangly spots. I like short hair dogs, easier to find ticks, they don't get burrs and not near as much shed (I HATE that). My dogs have to be able to handle gunshots. They don't have to like it, one hound used to find the lowest spot around and lay in it shaking but she didn't run off. My current dog heads to the bathroom when I get a gun out but if we're outside she deals with it. Dogs treat kids different than adults, just something to be aware of. Terriers are usually one person dogs but can be o.k. with the whole family. Mine will bite me if I'm wrestling w/the kids, not hard, basically just grabbing my hands. She'll do it to the kids if they rough house, she'll grab them by the wrist or a pantleg. She's never hurt anyone, they just include her in the madness. Dogs ramp up quick, one minute nothing, the next bouncing off the walls. Nervous dogs bear watching, especially around new people. I want a dog that won't chase MY cat or bother the chickens. My hounds would chase the cats sometimes, the smart cats wouldn't run. If they ran the hounds would bay and tree them, just what they do. I used to be a big dog person, now I like big and small. Small dogs can be amazing, they have the same mentality as a big dog just in a little package. My current is a Rat Terrier/Boston Terrier mix (only have 1 right now). Looks like a mini Pit, weighs 25 pounds just solid muscle.

My all time favorite was a pup my wife brought home that someone had in the trunk of a car. Full of worms and underfed. A little rat of a dog, full grown she was 4 lbs but thought she was a big dog. The most loving little thing, would snuggle up in your neck and had a dry tongue (relatively). Some dogs just soak you w/a lick some have a drier tongue. Such a little sweety but she'd act tough which was too cute especially when she'd take on a cat and get her but handed to her. I found her in the driveway one day barking up a storm, wouldn't come when I called just kept looking off the driveway. I finally got mad and walked down there to get her. She wouldn't look at me the whole time just barked at the fence. When I got within about 20 ft I saw a coyote on the other side of the ditch waiting to pounce. It took off and she ran over to me. Barking was all she could do, she knew if she took her eyes off of it it would attack. For a 4 lbs dog it was pretty brave to stare down a coyote like that. One spring he eventually got her along w/2 of our cats. My wife cried for weeks and would walk the property looking for her. I eventually told her that she would be more upset if she actually found her or what was left. Still makes me sad, she was awesome.

Last Edited:
I have always wanted to get a pit like one of these but I have 2 cats so I would need to spend either a lot of time or a lot of money to train it well and to get it not to chase my cats. I could get a dog with a good personality.
1st Choice
IMG_1028.JPG
2nd Choice
IMG_1032.JPG
3rd Choice.
IMG_1029.JPG

Did you ever wonder why there are so many in shelters?
Think about it.
They are the breed of choice of druggies and billybadasses all over the country, and they crank them out like popcorn and no thought as to temperament other than the badder the better!

Don't be so naive. The media/left has the same attitudes towards pits as they do guns. The same states that are banning pits are also the same that ban guns. Pit bulls were not bred for fighting as to popular belief. The same saying of "guns don't kill people, people do" can be applied here. Yes, a lot of idiots have pits, as they are popular with that crowd, but that does not mean the breed is a bad breed.

A lot of idiots own hondas, and they make them horrible by installing fat rims, cutting the suspension, and replacing mufflers with fart cannons; does not mean that all civics are bad.

We picked up a 7 year old, male, 50 pound Bull Terrier (think Spuds MacKenzie) from the shelter .... he's been a great dog. Take them one at a time and on their own merits. Don't be in too much of a hurry to get one just to get one. Make sure it's a good fit for both you and the dog.

Best of luck,
Mike

Being dog people, My wife is just over 80 and has been a professional all her adult life, starting out as a kennel girl at 14 and working her way up from there as a handler and trainer then breeder, which she still does, with her beautiful Blue Merle Miniature American Shepherd stud dog, with a litter on the ground as we speak, aka, Miniature Australian Shepherd, name changed when accepted into the AKC.
I'm not advertising them here and please don't ask me to sell you one, that is done thru the kennel club not online.

I'm going to get some flack probably over this but folks take it as it is intended a Heads Up.

There are substantiated reports of dogs with truly horrible temperaments, and those with equally terrible medical problems that find their way into shelters and pounds. You are buying a pig in a poke when adopting a dog from those places, the other thing is you are reinforcing bad behavior of careless breeders who allow their non spayed and neutered dogs to run loose and breed indiscriminately which keeps the shelters full of dogs of questionable personalities.

Professional breeders of pure breeds
are kept to the requirements of their breed standard. Sure there is the occasional bad apple but for the most part if you get a pup from a breeder from a recommended breeders list from a breed club, you can expect a higher quality animal, that has had all it's shots and testing for problems like blindness hip dysplasia and all sorts of other problems that can be passed from parents to their off spring. You sure won't get that from a "back yard Breeding" of 2 mongrels.

Buying from a reputable breeder is money well spent for a quality animal. Sure you can pick up a mutt from the pound but you may find out that after you have fallen in love with it that it had an incurable disease that will keep you running to the Vet and making them richer, and costing many times more than the pup from a reputable breeder. At least with a true breeder you can have recourse as they will usually guarantee their pups, and they are the first ones who want to know if there is a problem with their animals.

This is food for thought and is why I posted it here.
Think twice before adopting someone else's problems A bad temperament dog can't be trusted with your loved ones and often by the time you find out it can be too late.
I have to sound off on "Pit Bulls" a little, this is a breed that was bred for one thing " Pit fighting", think twice before adopting one of these into your home, especially if it is a mature dog already set in its ways, I get the shivers whenever I hear just how sweet these dogs are then 6 weeks later it rips into your other dogs or worse yet bites your child. They have tremendous power in those jaws and once they get a hold it can be almost impossible to make them let go.
They are cocked and unlocked without a safety. Many cities are enacting bans on the breed because of this.
Please use your heads not your emotions when it comes to buying a dog, with the giant breeds expect a life span of from 8 to 10 years, a GS around 12, and the medium size dog like a Vizsla around 14 or 15, and the ankle biters at least that long and perhaps a couple years longer. It is a commitment, and should be treated as such, and not taken or entered into lightly.
End of rant,
Gabby

Hate to say it but I agree with the statements about shelter dogs - the puppy Years are when you and your dog form the tightest bond and it can be impossible to rehabilitate an abused animal.

Kudos to the people that can do that - I personally couldn't be a foster parent or adopt a child, just my personality.

I disagree with pure bred dogs - odds are they will have the same issues all inbred creatures have.

Mutts make great dogs imo.

Don't be so naive. The media/left has the same attitudes towards pits as they do guns. The same states that are banning pits are also the same that ban guns. Pit bulls were not bred for fighting as to popular belief. The same saying of "guns don't kill people, people do" can be applied here. Yes, a lot of idiots have pits, as they are popular with that crowd, but that does not mean the breed is a bad breed.

A lot of idiots own hondas, and they make them horrible by installing fat rims, cutting the suspension, and replacing mufflers with fart cannons; does not mean that all civics are bad.
Maybe take your own advice. Way too many pit owners that haven't a clue as to who they are breeding with and could care less who buys the dogs. Too much inbreeding has gone on with pits and any dog breed that becomes too popular.
That's why that wonderful golden retriever has so many allergies and physical problems if you go to the wrong breeder.
Heck you can sell as many as you can breed.
Most of the time bully breeds and rots are at shelters is the family hadn't a clue how to raise the dog. Then the dog gets bad habits and it's hard to train them out of it.
Most dogs are there cause nobody really wanted to do what it takes to keep the dog working.
Pits and amstafs need certain people and places to be good pets. If you don't know how to control them they can be aggressive dogs. I mean they were bread for that.
Sure show the pics of your dog with the cat or some kids. Doesn't mean the neighbor kid or cat is safe.
And if you have a dog that is too alpha,you havent got control of the dog. If you can't keep your GSD from attacking other dogs you both need some classes. Just sayin
Anyway.
You gotta pick a dog that goes with your life style. If you hike a lot ,big dogs can overheat faster. No problem if you stay around plenty of water. Then again if you don't go out much you don't want a high energy dog. They will find something to do and it may not be good
I think that why labs are great. Or any water dog. Even if you aren't a high energy person all you need is a body of water and a stick or dummy. Swim the heck out of them and they're happy.
I would love a big malamute but I don't want it chasing deer and elk when I go to the woods. And I'm not sure about the summers. Kinda hot here for a snow dog. Right now it would be happy as heck
I'm rambling,good luck with your search.

Maybe take your own advice. Way too many pit owners that haven't a clue as to who they are breeding with and could care less who buys the dogs. Too much inbreeding has gone on with pits and any dog breed that becomes too popular.
That's why that wonderful golden retriever has so many allergies and physical problems if you go to the wrong breeder.
Heck you can sell as many as you can breed.
Most of the time bully breeds and rots are at shelters is the family hadn't a clue how to raise the dog. Then the dog gets bad habits and it's hard to train them out of it.
Most dogs are there cause nobody really wanted to do what it takes to keep the dog working.
Pits and amstafs need certain people and places to be good pets. If you don't know how to control them they can be aggressive dogs. I mean they were bread for that.
Sure show the pics of your dog with the cat or some kids. Doesn't mean the neighbor kid or cat is safe.
And if you have a dog that is too alpha,you havent got control of the dog. If you can't keep your GSD from attacking other dogs you both need some classes. Just sayin
Anyway.
You gotta pick a dog that goes with your life style. If you hike a lot ,big dogs can overheat faster. No problem if you stay around plenty of water. Then again if you don't go out much you don't want a high energy dog. They will find something to do and it may not be good
I think that why labs are great. Or any water dog. Even if you aren't a high energy person all you need is a body of water and a stick or dummy. Swim the heck out of them and they're happy.
I would love a big malamute but I don't want it chasing deer and elk when I go to the woods. And I'm not sure about the summers. Kinda hot here for a snow dog. Right now it would be happy as heck
I'm rambling,good luck with your search.

Great points!:cool:

If you can't give a 'working' dog what it needs (purpose, excersise and be dominate enough for the dog to know he is the beta at best) then you have a huge animal you can't control and it will get into trouble constantly....

Some people are not suited for certain dogs, period.

Me I like a Bird dog give me an English Cocker Spaniel or a Springer Spaniel and I can teach them to hurt Pheasants and Quail. Best two dogs I have ever owned were one of each. And talk about good with kids.

I'm sorry I'm neither naïve nor misinformed we've been associated with the dog world for many years, sure the media plays their scare card, and that is to be expected since they no longer REPORT the news but strive to MAKE it.

I'm sorry we had a brief power outage, and I've lost my train of thought waiting for this thing to reboot.

OK I don't think your analogy comparing dogs to Honda's is apt, they are apples and bananas.

Dogs that were bred to herd livestock are normally very high energy animals, they needed to be in order to do their work. The most active breed is the Border Collie
they need something to do or they will think of something to do on their own, they have tons of energy and an active mind, they demand a lot of energy from their owner, so if you aren't an high energy person I suggest you look for a more suitable breed.

Dogs like Anatolian Shepherds and Great Pyrenees were bred to bond closely with their "family" and be highly protective of them, in order to keep predators at bay or even to attack them and kill them.
Not a trait that works well in the city or burbs.

Retrievers were bred to wait patiently till called upon to go and fetch, which is a great way to exercise them, some pointing breeds are good this way too but they were bred to range out great distances in order to find game so can be a problem outside fenced yards.

I'm making these observations so that you may decide to really research the breeds of dogs you are interested in. All you have to do is go online to the AKC website and they will give you links for every recognized breed of dog and the information about how well they fit into every lifestyle. So Take the time to do your homework and you will be much happier with your choice of new family member.

One more thing, if you only plan to put your dog out in a fenced yard with doghouse, and maybe play with him/her whenever you happen to think about it. Forget about it, you aren't being fair with what can be a great companion for the life of your dog. If you have kids do you leave them locked up in their rooms and only interact with when you put them on the school bus. That would be the same sort of thing, in either case you don't deserve kids or dogs they will both look up to you as a god, and you need to be a GOOD GOD, if you can't deliver leave them alone they don't deserve you.
Sorry I got a bit carried away but I meant every word, dogs and kids deserve a caring home. Cats could care less, if you don't take care of them they just leave and find someone who will!
Gabby

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads