JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all,

I've been looking to get back into having a dog in my life lately. My black lab, Chewbacca, had to be put down because he developed cancer all over his body that eventually spread into his brain. This happened the middle of November. He was a great friend to my daughter and myself. Lately she's been wanting to get another dog and I think mentally I'm ready for another one.

My experience with dogs has been almost entirely with labradors. However, I'm open to other middle to heavy weight dogs (30+lbs).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

It is worth mentioning that I only want to get a dog from a shelter. I've been impressed with the SW Washington and Oregon Humane Societies.

Raidingtime

I have had big dogs all my life also but a friend of mine got a Soft Coated Wheaton Terrier and he is a very cool dog. I would not mind having one myself. Check them out.

James

Kinda like asking, "what's the best caliber?"
Need more info about your lifestyle and expectations from prospective new dog.

Personally, I like Mastiff breeds. My previous dog was some sort of Mastiff blend. After researching the breed I'm pretty sure she was a Corso. Very stable temperment. A bit standoffish but excellent at reading new people. Great with all kids and very attentive to her family. They also aren't known to be barkers, chewers, diggers, fence jumpers, or wanderers. Short hair drys quick and doesn't leave much fluff when shedding in the spring. Plus they don't require a ton of exercise which worked out great since I'm pretty lazy. Mine was a solid 60-70 pounds but about the physical size of the typical female lab.

I've always had retrievers or cattle dogs, until a couple years ago when my wife decided we needed to "rescue" a miniature pincer from some senile old women who were feeding him to death. seriously, the poor bugger weighed 39lbs, the vet told us he should be in the neighborhood of 15. Since having him around, I've decided that I would rather have a big dog than a little one, but I would rather have a little dog than a fat cat.

This isn't going to morph into a dog caliber competition is it?

"my German Shepard is a single chomp thug-stopper, those lesser caliber Spaniels need to chew. Although a Yorkie is easier to conceal and pick up after... there's no substitute for the big dog when your life is on the line!";)

Kinda like asking, "what's the best caliber?"
Need more info about your lifestyle and expectations from prospective new dog.

Personally, I like Mastiff breeds. My previous dog was some sort of Mastiff blend. After researching the breed I'm pretty sure she was a Corso. Very stable temperment. A bit standoffish but excellent at reading new people. Great with all kids and very attentive to her family. They also aren't known to be barkers, chewers, diggers, fence jumpers, or wanderers. Short hair drys quick and doesn't leave much fluff when shedding in the spring. Plus they don't require a ton of exercise which worked out great since I'm pretty lazy. Mine was a solid 60-70 pounds but about the physical size of the typical female lab.

Good point.

I go hiking, backpacking, running, and would like a companion for that. My daughter, 6 years old, wants someone to play with and sleep in her room.

I've got a Suburban house with a Suburban sized backyard with chickens, a guinea hen, duck, and fat black cat.

I have a friend whom used to breed Mastifs and has 3 in her house. Her house is pretty rough looking to say the least.

Adopting from a shelter is the best thing to do. So many good dogs end up at the shelter. Go to the shelter, fall in love with a dog that needs a permanent home, and enjoy the companionship.

It will be a little more difficult to be breed specific if adopting from a shelter but you guys will find one that you can't go home without.

My ex used to volunteer at SW Humane Society, and if we had a bigger yard we would have definitely been a 2, maybe even 3 dog household. But as it is all I have room for is my 90lb lab Riley.

Adopting from a shelter is the best thing to do. So many good dogs end up at the shelter. Go to the shelter, fall in love with a dog that needs a permanent home, and enjoy the companionship.

It will be a little more difficult to be breed specific if adopting from a shelter but you guys will find one that you can't go home without.

My ex used to volunteer at SW Humane Society, and if we had a bigger yard we would have definitely been a 2, maybe even 3 dog household. But as it is all I have room for is my 90lb lab Riley.

I probably will settle on another lab or lab mix. They're hard to top. I definitely will be going to a shelter.

The reason I made this thread was to see what others described a breed they've own as.

If your stuck on a big dog, the best large dog I've had was a Rot/Lab. Mutts are generally free of the typical full breed inbreading deseases.

She lived a good life all the way to 14.

Now it's just me and my Lhasa Apso (13 now, 20lbs - with hair not fur). Never had little dogs but have found he is much easier to take places and travel with.

Plus he doesn't eat and crap like a horse:p

European stock GSD - incredibly intelligent, good with kids; not so much with bad guys. And big enough to make a difference.
East German or Czech, but they are a handfull. My Czech Shepherd loved the little kids but hated other dogs...he just could not resist his alpha drive and I had to keep an eye on him.

Not to mention shedding 24/7/365

Huh our kids has a half English Half french Mastif the thing is over 180lbs and about 14 months old. And scared to death of me. itss hilarious this thing that could knock over a small car by leaning on it. Will spend the whole evening trying to sneak up on me until I look at him then he bolts to another part of the house. Once in a great while I can sneak a pat on his back but the dog is totally scared of me.

What struck me about picking my dog out at the shelter was that in the midst of all the chaos of dozens of barking dogs, she was the only one who wasn't wigged out. In fact, she was just laying there with her back against the cyclone fencing. I actually poked her to see if she was alive. That was a great window into her demeanor. Very calm energy.

Being dog people, My wife is just over 80 and has been a professional all her adult life, starting out as a kennel girl at 14 and working her way up from there as a handler and trainer then breeder, which she still does, with her beautiful Blue Merle Miniature American Shepherd stud dog, with a litter on the ground as we speak, aka, Miniature Australian Shepherd, name changed when accepted into the AKC.
I'm not advertising them here and please don't ask me to sell you one, that is done thru the kennel club not online.

I'm going to get some flack probably over this but folks take it as it is intended a Heads Up.

There are substantiated reports of dogs with truly horrible temperaments, and those with equally terrible medical problems that find their way into shelters and pounds. You are buying a pig in a poke when adopting a dog from those places, the other thing is you are reinforcing bad behavior of careless breeders who allow their non spayed and neutered dogs to run loose and breed indiscriminately which keeps the shelters full of dogs of questionable personalities.

Professional breeders of pure breeds
are kept to the requirements of their breed standard. Sure there is the occasional bad apple but for the most part if you get a pup from a breeder from a recommended breeders list from a breed club, you can expect a higher quality animal, that has had all it's shots and testing for problems like blindness hip dysplasia and all sorts of other problems that can be passed from parents to their off spring. You sure won't get that from a "back yard Breeding" of 2 mongrels.

Buying from a reputable breeder is money well spent for a quality animal. Sure you can pick up a mutt from the pound but you may find out that after you have fallen in love with it that it had an incurable disease that will keep you running to the Vet and making them richer, and costing many times more than the pup from a reputable breeder. At least with a true breeder you can have recourse as they will usually guarantee their pups, and they are the first ones who want to know if there is a problem with their animals.

This is food for thought and is why I posted it here.
Think twice before adopting someone else's problems A bad temperament dog can't be trusted with your loved ones and often by the time you find out it can be too late.
I have to sound off on "Pit Bulls" a little, this is a breed that was bred for one thing " Pit fighting", think twice before adopting one of these into your home, especially if it is a mature dog already set in its ways, I get the shivers whenever I hear just how sweet these dogs are then 6 weeks later it rips into your other dogs or worse yet bites your child. They have tremendous power in those jaws and once they get a hold it can be almost impossible to make them let go.
They are cocked and unlocked without a safety. Many cities are enacting bans on the breed because of this.
Please use your heads not your emotions when it comes to buying a dog, with the giant breeds expect a life span of from 8 to 10 years, a GS around 12, and the medium size dog like a Vizsla around 14 or 15, and the ankle biters at least that long and perhaps a couple years longer. It is a commitment, and should be treated as such, and not taken or entered into lightly.
End of rant,
Gabby

There are pit bulls all over shelters. Despite their bad reputation, they are excellent dogs.

Did you ever wonder why there are so many in shelters?
Think about it.
They are the breed of choice of druggies and billybadasses all over the country, and they crank them out like popcorn and no thought as to temperament other than the badder the better!

I've had a Great Pyrenees for the last 22 years. I've had several different breads of dogs growing up. At one point we had several Pyrenees guarding 200 head of sheep. That's when I discovered how good they were guarding against harm. Take away the sheep and the family becomes their herd to guard.
It's unbelievable how our dog has bonded with our kids. He has never ever nipped at any of them. Or growled or any type of annoyed behavior toward the kids even when he is tired. The kids rest their heads on him while they watch tv.
Outside in the fenced yard he becomes the boss. Ups man comes and he circles around the kids constantly. And if the kids come up to the fence he always wedges himself inbetweeen. Nope nope your not thinking of touching my herd are you?
He is gentle even around babies. He knows!
Runs thru the house and all of a sudden a kid is in his way, he will plow into chairs or whatever to avoid the kids.

Now they do get a little on the big size. I picked the runt of the little and he is right about 132 pounds.
My others have been 160-180 pounds.

IMG_5446.JPG

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class