JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had to have my best friend Hoss put down almost a year ago. 13 of the funnest times with that big gentle beast. Awesome dog for 8+ off trail hikes, and camping. Didn't mind gunfire. Take your time and visit the shelters with your daughter. My dog was a Pitbull/Boxer mix. People were scared of him because he was too nice. They saw Pit, not friendly! He helped raise my son, and was actually the third person(I considered him to be human) to give my son a big sloppy kiss. Just go with what hits you, that's how I adopted Hoss, It just hit me when I saw him at the shelter. I now carry his ashes in my pocket. Shelter dogs are the best dogs! 5e3de2c5aa49e6639bac88bded6b1998.jpg

;)
I know and understand more than most that I have met.
One thing is for sure in training any dog,stay as far away from positive approach people as you can. They have no concept as how to train dogs

Is this who you are talking about?

Positive Approach Webcams

I thought maybe you were talking about some new gee whiz training program some guy with a shaved head Undt Cherman accent is preaching.

Professional breeders of pure breeds
are kept to the requirements of their breed standard. Sure there is the occasional bad apple but for the most part if you get a pup from a breeder from a recommended breeders list from a breed club, you can expect a higher quality animal, that has had all it's shots and testing for problems like blindness hip dysplasia and all sorts of other problems that can be passed from parents to their off spring. You sure won't get that from a "back yard Breeding" of 2 mongrels.
@BillGabby1, you must run in good circles. I've known and been friends with 3 breeders over several years, and had extensive interactions with another 5. Two I would return to over and over, five I have walked away from, shaking my head, and one I would still think about shooting if he hadn't already died from HIV.
My advice, if you go to a breeder, read the breeder, look at their setup, read the dogs. You're not guaranteed of anything better because you spent good money. If you haven't a clue how to do any of that, get someone to help who does.

I've had a Great Pyrenees for the last 22 years.
Beautiful dogs, one of my favorite breeds. IMO you don't see them much.

;)
I know and understand more than most that I have met.
One thing is for sure in training any dog,stay as far away from positive approach people as you can. They have no concept as how to train dogs
No idea what "positive approach" is, but I have found there is no "set" training method. Every dog I have had has been somewhat different in their response to encouragement and discipline. What has pained me in the past is watching people who own an alpha dog, but do not take an lead role with it. The two times, when their dogs turned and assumed alpha leadership, people were bitten.

In addition to a bunch of purebreds, I have had 5 rescues over 35 years, two didn't work out. The latest one is a wild-card, was badly abused by a male, and I don't trust in uncontrolled situations, so I contain him. We got him through the "last chance" program at the humane society. One of the most affectionate dogs I've ever had, but challenging in all other ways. His signals are very subtle, and it was challenging to learn to recognize them.

P7ID,
We try very hard to.
We are very selective who and what we breed with, all tests must be up to date, and the temperament of the dog being bred especially the female as she is the one who passes it to the puppies through example, the stud passes genes. When we raised Vizslas we wanted proven field in their background and would rather the dog in question had at least a hunt test certificate, there are several levels starting with junior hunter and going to Master Hunter which showed the dog knew which end of a bird to sniff. A show championship was another big +.
:rolleyes: Field trial wins were even better! Most of our puppies went to at least a "Show" home and to someone who would trial even better. We were trying to improve the breed not just stamp out more of the same. That was always our goal and we worked hard at it. Not every pup is a show champion and a good breeder knows from experience which of their pups have the best chance of making it those that don't fit the bill are sold to "Pet" homes and are neutered after 6 months by which time it is apparent whether or not their evaluation was accurate or not.
A good reputable breeder isn't that hard to find, look for the traits I've listed here, and if YOU don't measure up to their requirements , don't get PO'd ask them why not and then strive to measure up in the future. Good breed3ers think as much of their "babies" as you might your daughter and don't want them going home with just anybody!
We often would turn people away who's first question was "How much are they?"
So you see a lot goes into breeding purebred animals of any kind which is done to produce the best animal possible.
I know only too well there are unscrupulous "Breeders" out there that have a registered pair of dogs male and female, and all they do is crank out puppies, and the AKC can't do a thing about it as long as they pay their dues and register their litters, they have no recourse. However the breed clubs can have something to say when someone doesn't meet the club's standards. If the breeder you are talking to doesn't show their dogs and have vet certificates with proof of both, or belong to the local breed club run like hell with your hand on your wallet!
Think about it! That "bargain" dog you get from a "backyard breeder" as described here or from your local shelter, may not be the bargain you think it is. Select a dog with your "smarts" not your "feelings".
Gabby

Is this what you are talking about?
Positive Approach Home
Yes positive approach works on NOT trying to control the dog,no alpha in the situation. I believe you try to direct the dogs attention elsewhere instead of correcting the behavior
Dogs are pack animals,there needs to be an alpha in the pack.
If you aren't it then there will be problems.
You need to be able to get on top of your dog and the dog be just fine with it.

Dogs are more calm and have a better sense of purpose with a strong alpha around.

I bark, growl and nip my dogs to let them know who's boss, along w/putting them on their back. You can use your hand as a 'mouth' for a quick nip along w/a growl, they get it. When I had hounds I'd get right down w/em and bite w/my mouth, I've latched onto ears and lips. With dogs, as with most hierarchical pack animals it's all about posturing. You don't have to hurt the animal, you just have to be louder and more aggressive and not show weakness. They will gladly accept you as alpha, a strong alpha makes a happier, more settled pack.

Earlier in my dog life I got an 18 mo Rot along w/a 6 mo Shepard. They 'had' to come together as they came from an apartment dwelling lady who could no longer control them. A friend's g-friend worked for a vet and called me as she knew I wanted a Rot. The Rot was friendly and seemed to be a good fit problem was it had never been disciplined and had always been the alpha female. It became apparent early on I was going to have my hands full. I did my best to socialize her and worked with her all the time. Took her to a friends one evening. She decided to grab some small thing and go into the living room and chew it up. She was laying on the ground with the thing (I don't even remember what it was) between her paws. She put it in her mouth, I was standing over her and had been telling her to drop it. I reached down and started pushing my fingers into the back of her jaws to get them to open up. She opened her mouth and dropped it but before I could pick it up she grabbed it in her mouth again. So I tried the same thing again telling her to drop it the whole time. This time she decided she'd had enough and tried to stand up growling loudly at the same time. This dog was right at 100 lbs, when she stood up with me standing (almost sitting) over her it pushed me up and I started to lose my balance, fortunately we were in a door frame and I couldn't fall over. I got my balance and sat as hard as I could right on top of her, now she's fighting hard and trying to get my hands. I grabbed her choke collar and twisted it around my thumb as hard as I could and started slamming her head into the floor yelling "No, No!!" At that point I wanted to kill her and was just going to choke her out. In a very small amount of time I realized this was not the dog for my family. I don't know how many times I slammed her head into the floor before she rolled over and stopped fighting. I could hardly stand I was shaking so bad, everyone in the house was watching us with their mouths hanging open. I slowly walked back into the kitchen and took a chair at the table. The dog got up and walked over to my chair and laid down under it. One of the guys at the table looked over at me and said "you know you're going to have to do that again at some point". I told him "No I'm not!". The next day I called the girl I'd get them from and the day after a guy showed up at my house to get them. He was a Rot guy and was happy to take her. Honestly I think she would probably have been a great dog. I was inexperience w/large dogs at the time and had small kids at home. I learned a lot from that. I've never had another Rot but not because of that experience, mostly because I just don't want a dog that big anymore.

It is worth mentioning that I only want to get a dog from a shelter. I've been impressed with the SW Washington and Oregon Humane Societies.

Raidingtime

I'm very sorry about your lab. Losing pets sucks... I' too, have had Labs and Lab mixes my entire adult, or adult age :D, life.
I can appreciate the sentiment of wanting a shelter dog and have seen it work out well for others, but I won't ever do that again. Terrible experience with Humane Society of Oregon due to inexperienced/ignorant employees with a God like mentality..... Bad experience bringing an unknown adult dog into a family with dogs already in the household.
But that's just me. Your choice may work out perfectly for you.
My latest goofball is 2 1/2 years old and is a black Lab, Golden Ret mix. He's the sweetest dog that unfortunately learned the barking habit from a little yapper we have. My grandkids can crawl and pull on him and he just loves it. He protects his yard with great authority (or at least sounds like it) but is very friendly when he's out and about with me.

I'm very sorry about your lab. Losing pets sucks... I' too, have had Labs and Lab mixes my entire adult, or adult age :D, life.
I can appreciate the sentiment of wanting a shelter dog and have seen it work out well for others, but I won't ever do that again. Terrible experience with Humane Society of Oregon due to inexperienced/ignorant employees with a God like mentality..... Bad experience bringing an unknown adult dog into a family with dogs already in the household.
But that's just me. Your choice may work out perfectly for you.
My latest goofball is 2 1/2 years old and is a black Lab, Golden Ret mix. He's the sweetest dog that unfortunately learned the barking habit from a little yapper we have. My grandkids can crawl and pull on him and he just loves it. He protects his yard with great authority (or at least sounds like it) but is very friendly when he's out and about with me.

I've experienced the same with vets/ vet techs. Just about every time I've left a vets office my dog ended up being in worst shape than he was before. What was more irritating was when I informed them of a natural remedy that I had looked into online which worked better than the drugs they were prescribing (ear problems). I will give them credit for being able to put my dog down painlessly. The vets are really good at humanely and cleanly killing animals.

Labs are great animals.

I've experienced the same with vets/ vet techs.

That brings up a whole new concern, doesn't it?
We have been very pleased with the vets we use. Actually, they are the best part of their operation. All of the other employees are nice enough, but the vets really shine.

My last few have been German Shepards. Great dogs but our current one is very afraid of fireworks, thunder etc just like all of them. We had to put our black lab down a few months ago and he didn't care about any of it but he was mischevious. He'd dig and chew up anything he could find, just like another lab I had in the past. I still wouldn't hesitate to get another lab or GS but have been considering a Golden Retrever for the next pup.

Goldie was my best friend. She and I were best buddies for over 13 years and my Vet old me she was a couple of years old when we met. Stray. Skinny and hungry. I told her to go home. She rolled over as if saying I have no home to go to. So I took her in.

Best dog I every had. Yellow Lab Sheppard mix more like a Lab. Smarter than me. Loved to pull the covers off the bed if I did not get up. Loved to walk to the Beaver Pond to swim. Yep. Rural SW Oregon. Loved to hunt squirrels with me. Barked up the wrong tree.

About once a month she and I had had a Tee Bone steak. She liked hers rare and blood warm. No salt. If the market did not have Tee Bones, she had to settle for a Porterhouse. We would drive to town during high hot summer for a ice cream cone. Then she ate mine.

Did have some bad habits. When she entered my life she was very gun shy. It took about one year to train her out of that. Then when I grabbed the .22 or shotgun and asked her if she wanted to hunt squirrels, she would jump and bark with joy. Much fun indeed.

But ... she got very old and very feeble and I myself gave her that final shot of relief. Then I sang her our Swan Song. Gawd ... it is difficult to text this. It has been over 15 years now and the tears still flow. How I loved that dog. Unconditional. Good memories.

Thank you. Can a grown old man laugh and cry at the same time. Yep.

Easiest to clean up after, anyway.
This reminds me of a story my friend Brian told me. Brian was about 10 years old and wanted a dog for a companion. His Father told him ok and gave him a dime and told him to find himself a dog but use the dime test. Brian asked his dad to explain the dime test to him and his Father told him "if the dog has an AH bigger than a dime we dont want him in our yard". ;)

Goldie was my best friend. She and I were best buddies for over 13 years and my Vet old me she was a couple of years old when we met. Stray. Skinny and hungry. I told her to go home. She rolled over as if saying I have no home to go to. So I took her in.

Best dog I every had. Yellow Lab Sheppard mix more like a Lab. Smarter than me. Loved to pull the covers off the bed if I did not get up. Loved to walk to the Beaver Pond to swim. Yep. Rural SW Oregon. Loved to hunt squirrels with me. Barked up the wrong tree.

About once a month she and I had had a Tee Bone steak. She liked hers rare and blood warm. No salt. If the market did not have Tee Bones, she had to settle for a Porterhouse. We would drive to town during high hot summer for a ice cream cone. Then she ate mine.

Did have some bad habits. When she i entered my life she was very gun shy. It took about one year to train her out of that. Then when I grabbed the .22 or shotgun and asked her if she wanted to hunt squirrels, she would jump and bark with joy. Much fun indeed.

But ... she got very old and very feeble and I myself gave her that final shot of relief. Then I sang her our Swan Song. Gawd ... it is difficult to text this. It has been over 15 years now and the tears still flow. How I loved that dog. Unconditional. Good memories.

Thank you. Can a grown old man laugh and cry at the same time. Yep.
I have cried a few tears every time one of my friends passed wether human or four legged.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top