JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

CC cal. for blk bear

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I swear either some of you guys can't read, or just choose to ignore some people. The OP asked what of the options he has available to him is the best choice. Not what would you use if you had one or could afford to go buy a new gun. Some of us have to work with what we have.

I'm not annoyed, so don't tell me to calm down. I'm just asking people to read the original post before they respond.

I'm sure all here can read, that is the reason that many people chose to click the other box listed in the poll, and give another choice of caliber.

I was educated in the Oregon public education system, I can't read. Oh well. Guess I was wrong. Wouldn't be the first time today...

Glad two of you told me, so I was sure I was wrong. I didn't get it after the first guy mentioned it...

Buddy of mine had to go through the deparment of ecology course to work in Alaska one summer. They were all issued 12-guage remingtons. The first thing they told them at the "Bear Safety Class" was. There is no point using a pistol to try and stop a bear. The instructor then pulled out a Grizzly skull and placed it on the table.

Right smack in the forehead was an impacted .44 mag bullet impacted in the skull. The instruction then informed everyone this bear was not killed by this shot. This bear died of natural causes, and not the gun-shot. In fact it appeared that bone had started to grow over the slug!!!

So what caliber is best for a bear? Whatever caliber you feel will do the job when you have to shoot yourself.:D

It's like the old joke about two friends hiking together when they run across a bear. They start getting chased and one friend stops and puts on running shoes. "what are you doing, you can't outrun a bear" one friend says. The other replies, " I don't have to outrun the bear...I only have to outrun you!!"

I swear either some of you guys can't read, or just choose to ignore some people. The OP asked what of the options he has available to him is the best choice. Not what would you use if you had one or could afford to go buy a new gun. Some of us have to work with what we have.

I'm not annoyed, so don't tell me to calm down. I'm just asking people to read the original post before they respond.

that's why "Other" is winning!

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

I grew up hunting bear and moose in Alaska. In my experience the black bear can be much more unpredictable.

As the other member said, I would get in my vehicle and leave if I could. Delivery or no delivery.

If I had to be there and could not leave I would carry nothing less than a 44 mag. Preferably a 454 Casull or S&W 500.

In the world of personal defense and choosing a caliber there are two arguements. Light and fast. And slow and heavy.

With wild game you must fast AND heavy. Something that will penetrate deep through hide and hair breaking bones along the way.

Personally I don't think the 10MM is enough even though it seems to be popular now in Alaska. The 10MM is equal to the 41 magnum but only in two or three loads. Most people can't handle follow up shots very well with full power 10MM loads in a semi auto.

Choose a revolver with some weight to it. It will make follow up shots easier as you will probably need to.

As a kid we always made lot's of noise. Most bear don't want anything to do with you. If they don't leave the area and don't avoid you, you can guess that you have a big problem.

357 towers over all but other. My Hiking gun is a stainless 357 with HOT 180gr hard cast lead. If I knew I would meet a mad bear I would carry my Redhawg with SUPERHOT 300gr bullets. (300gr speer soft point with 23.5gr H110)

I came face-to-face with a black bear once while camping. Pretty scary stuff. It was just getting dark. The camper across the road from me said "Hey, there's a bear" and he turned on the headlights of his car. The bear got scared and ran away. Problem was, he ran into my camp. I was stirring my fire with a stick, and had my dog with me. I grabbed my dog's leash and almost turned to run, then I remembered not to run from a wild animal.

I ran at the bear and shouted "GET OUT" and threw my arm up real quick. The bear didn't know whether to bubblegum or go blind, and it turned again and ran off. I'm awful glad that worked, but sure wouldn't want to try it again.

I've done a lot of reading about self-defense against bears since then. One story I read was about a guy that dropped a bear with a .44 mag. He emptied all six rounds, and the bear was about five feet from him when it dropped. Not my first choice. The most effective method it seems to me is a shotgun. One guy wrote about using #4 shot in the first round, followed by slugs. He said the first round is to take out the eyes, and when the bear raises up after being blinded, the slugs have the penetration needed to do the job.

I also saw a YouTube video of various guns fired at bullet proof glass. The shotgun with slugs was the most impressive. Actually it was the only gun to penetrate the glass.

So, I'd have to go with "other" - 12 guage pump with #4 shot in the first round, followed with slugs.

My personal belief is that a pistol/revolver simply isn't realistic for protection against bear. I guess this is mostly from experiences growing up in Alaska where the bears are generally *much* bigger and brown's, kodiak's and grizzlies are much more common than down here.

If I was going into bear country, I would bite the bullet and just carry a 12 gauge, but I realize it isn't feasible for some people in some situations. We carried alternating rounds of buckshot and slugs, and the theory was the slugs for penetration and the buckshot to blow off his face. If he can't see, smell or hear you, he cant get to you to attack.

When I was a kid, we almost always had the 12 gauge with us, but whether we did or not, my Dad always carried a 357 Mag.

For scaring off bears, any loud gunshot can work wonders. But if you have a charging, pissed off bear coming at you, you are not going to even phase him with anything less than a 50 cal/12 gauge.

Hahaha...Swifty beat me to the shot/slug point by two minutes, although hearing and smell are probably more important to bears :)

Last Edited:
I have a very good friend that is a trapper.
He traps bear for the logging companies since they do a lot of damage,he drops the bears with a .22 rimfire.
Before any of you decide to start popping off about how this isn't possible,he has been doing this for the better part of 30 years.
He has been the assistant to the wildlife commisioner,the head of the Oregon Fur Bearers Assoc.,a liscensed Falconer,the list of credentials is endless.
If any of you are trappers,you probably know whom i am refering to.
(A hint to who it is,he drives a Grn IHC Scout 1/2 cab,very modified.)
We did some experimenting with loads that would be used for bear,even the almighty 44 mag failed on our black bears.
If i can find the recovered slugs,will take some pictures to show the results.They even still have the hair and brain matter in them.
The wildlife biologists were nice enough to recover the bullets and give them back to me so i could analyze the results,i was surprised to say the least.
After seeing the results,or lack there of,he went back to using his Ruger Bearcat .22 revolver.
Just so there is no misunderstanding,these bears were in traps,but still very much alive. Shot placement is still important regardless of the situation,and he is quite good with what he uses.
RK

I have a Glock 29 that I stuff with 200 gr Double Tap ammo. They have some hot loaded ammo much like Buffalo Bore, ect. . Cast bullets in the biggest caliber you have have with you.

What I like about the G29 is the 10 round mag with a 13 round back-up mag. I find the recoil manageable.

Eric

44 magnum 320gr Corbon Hard Cast lead core

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=CBCB44320HC

This is what I think I am using in my 44 mag revolver. I know its the best and most practical for these neck of the woods, even fisherman and rangers use this type of cartridge in Alaska for grizzlies. The question is all about control with this caliber. As for that, I am still trying to adjust to the recoil. However, I find the Corbon 320gr have less recoil than some of the hotter loaded 240gr rounds I have shot. One thing I know is if a black bear was right up close to me I rather shoot him with this than a .357.

I have researched tons of these bear handgun threads. From my research, you will hear such a wide range of stories, some that raise eyebrows. Like, I have heard of someone saying 22LR is plenty efficient for killing a 400 lb black bear, whereas I heard others saying that their .357 rounds could not stop the bear charging. I have heard wonderful stories about people hunting them with .45ACP and other stories of people being eaten who were armed by .45ACP.

Shot placement is great, but might be a bit harder with any caliber when a giant bear is charging you. Therfore, I am convinced that a large caliber round in JSP or hard casted lead core round is the best bet when your life depends on stopping the enraged beast who is maybe 20 times as strong and fast as yourself.

Maybe some will think I am crazy for saying this, but that is my conclusion. I carry a S&W 629 .44mag in the forest and will be training exclusively with that gun for my outdoor scenarios.

If I was in Alaska, I think I may invest in a .460 or .480.

One training tactic I will do in the future is bringing my jump rope to the shooting range. I will do a large number of jump ropes and then hit the action range. I want my heart rate to be very elevated. I have been followed by a bear before on a trail and have a few less-scary encounters with them. What I remember, is how numb my body felt and how fast my heart was beating. You realy need to train for that scenario.

P.S. One reason probably why handguns fail against black bears is that people use HP or expanding bullets that lose a lot of their penetration power through the bear's thick fur. Large game Hunting handgun rounds I think are a necessity.

...even the almighty 44 mag failed on our black bears...he went back to using his Ruger Bearcat .22 revolver

Wow quite a feat, although I am a bit skeptical of a .44 failing and a .22 being effective.

To the gentlemen who recommend a shotgun. That's a given and very obvious. But not realistic. The guy is making deliveries. Not hiking or fishing.

Yeah well I don't get the impression he is doing door to door milk delivery in the 'burbs either...

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top