JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What is the best gun safe for the money ? I know that is a pretty vague question. I basically need a 18 gun for under $1000.
Also whats the deal with moisture in safes that I see posts about? Is that because the safes are in a non- air conditioned space ?

I bought a Liberty safe. I believe it is the same as a Centurion, before it was called that. It can hold 22 long guns or 11 and then have shelves in the other half. I got it at Coastal Farm and Equip on a Black Friday sale years ago. They have a nice selection. I'd keep an eye out for their sales. They were selling for nearly $900 then and I got it on sale for $560.

Fortunately I haven't tested it yet to tell you if it's the best, and I'd like to keep it that way.:D

Get a Liberty for that kind of money that you're talking about. As for the moisture inside, (long story short) it has to do with the temperature difference between the outside and inside of the safe and the dew-point of the air inside condensating moisture (dew) onto the surface of anything inside.

You can use desiccant moisture absorbers or what commonly referred to as a Golden-Rod, which is basically a low-temp heating element that keeps the air inside the safe ever so slightly warmer than the air outside the safe so you don't get dew forming on your stuff.

Hope that helps!

Last Edited:
I bought a Fat Boy Jr last spring at Coastal. On sale it was $1100 if I remember correctly. It ended up being too small, so I got a used Knaack 109 cabinet for the overflow.

I bought my Cannon 90 gun safe at Tractor Supply last year for 995.00. There prices seem to beat anyone in the country. The same size safe at Cabelas was over 3000.00, it might have a better paint job but uses the same locks.

Get a Liberty, my friend. I'm afraid that humidity in the safe is more dependent on where it's located than the safe itself. Look into Goldenrod's or other dehumidifiers. Good luck!

Seeing as how you're in Georgia, Coastal Farm isn't an option along with some others mentioned. Just make sure it has a thicker solid plate door rather than a wrap around sheet metal type. This video posted here may help you.....Safe buying info (videos)

Liberty, Cannon or a local to you company have good options for your price range.

Edit: I also moved this thread to the correct section which may have a lot more info you can use.

5ACBC0B8-0C4A-4EEF-B2F9-3AB3B2241FBB.jpeg 6D2106DD-9BC5-4FDC-B3CA-8B10DD74A292.jpeg Freedom Security Patriot by Liberty. This one came from Costal, which I realize isn't available to the OP, but their everyday price for this model is 1,500.00, less on Tuesdays for old guys, like 1,350.00...

I own one I bought out of Vancouver. I think the company is Tracker. It functions just fine, and I have it out in my garage, bolted to the concrete. It cost more than a Sentry or some basement model, but it wasn't a grand...maybe $500. However, I also own a Liberty (from a dealer out in Hillsboro) and those are fine, fine safes. I bet you could get a model that would work for you for about a grand.

BTW, a Goldenrod is NOT a dehumidifier. It is merely a heater, which heats the steel (guns) in the safe a few degrees warmer than the ambient air, keeping humidity that is there from condensing on your guns. It does NOTHING to reduce the humidity of your safe.

Can get into an 18 or 23 gun Centurion by Liberty for well under a grand, has flat, military style locking bolts and it to survived the pry test, even on its back... I'd say that is about the lowest I would consider serviceable for protecting firearms and valuables...

Considered that before finding the Patriot...

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews