JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a Liberty Centurion 24 gun safe and a Liberty Ammo Box. Got them last Black Friday at Coastal and paid 650 for both. I get a warm fuzzy feeling every time I see them. :)

I have a large gun safe that I got at Costco years ago. I have an 18" Goldenrod at the bottom, and an Evadry dehumidifier sitting on the top shelf. It consistently holds humidity at 55% which is museum grade. I've never had rust on any firearm this way.

BTW, a Goldenrod is NOT a dehumidifier. It is merely a heater, which heats the steel (guns) in the safe a few degrees warmer than the ambient air, keeping humidity that is there from condensing on your guns. It does NOTHING to reduce the humidity of your safe.

Too true, I misspoke!

My annoyance wasn't at you, @Sgt Nambu, it was at Goldenrod. They actually advertise it as a dehumidifier. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how they worked, by only producing heat, until I finally figured out they were simply lying. They should just advertise it as a rust-preventer. I definitely have one installed in my garage safe, in addition to a couple of those Eva-Dry thingies.

Safes, like pad locks all fall under the category of "delaying devices". Without stating the obvious, depending on what kind of safe you get you're only buying time.

Since $$$ are limited, keep an eye on Craigslist. After watching for almost a year, I bought a used Knaack 109 cabinet box for $500 (all the 139 boxes were gone). lots of room. Not as secure as an actual safe. Not much fire protection, but better than nothing.

I have two Tracker 30 gun safes. They are a no frills safe but very solid, and heavy! I installed 110v in each one along with lights and a goldenrod all for under an extra $100. It only took a little diy, now it has all the options of a much higher priced safe.

Agree that a safe is just a 'delaying device' but if someone is going to try and get in mine more than likely I am not breathing anymore, and I REALLY want to piss off whoever ended me. Plate door and manual lock were my two must haves. That being said I have a Safe Guard and they are worth checking out as well. Ray Crosby started Liberty and Fort Knox, left then started Safe Guard, Champion and Superior (same company) afaik. While shopping around it appeared that at a certain price point most companies have comparable features in the same size. Granted smoke machines and crushed velvet interiors will cost a bit more...

While the golden rod is not technically speaking a dehumidifier it does reduce the relative humidity in the safe and prevent condensation and rust on firearms. I have used a golden rod alone in a safe installed in an unheated space and rust has never been a problem.

I have a PEET circulating dehumidifier and my humidity is 53% still. I've ordered a analog hygrometer that will arrive on the weekend and will put it my safe. Since the safe monitor is on the upper right side and the gun rack is on the left not sure of the humidity sensor is too far away to give a good reading or not. I do have an Eva-air dryer unopened so I will put that in if they hygrometer still shows over 50%.

Last Edited:
I have a PEET circulating dehumidifier and my humidity is 53% still. I've ordered a analog hydrometer that will arrive on the weekend and will put it my safe. Since the safe monitor is on the upper right side and the gun rack is on the left not sure of the humidity sensor is too far away to give a good reading or not. I do have an Eva-air dryer unopened so I will put that in if they hydrometer still shows over 50%.

I think you mean hygrometer. A hydrometer is what is used to measure specific gravity of a liquid which is very useful to tell when your hombrew is done.:)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top