JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello,

I'm building a .308 AR (aeroprecision with mega barrel) and have hunting in mind for it. I've seen many good quality scopes from Burris, Leupold, and Nikon but I don't know how to choose between them. I would prefer a fixed power 10X scope with illuminated reticle capability and is below the price of $600. Any advice?

I would of course like a 4X ACOG but they're too much money at the moment.

Thank you,

If hunting will be the primary role
I would suggest a leupy fixed 6 power over the ten for better field of view when your tromping through the woods, 10 will work but when that buck jumps up 20 yards away a lower power scope will be easier to get on target, there are so many good mid range variable scopes out I lean toward a 3 x 15!

I've heard this before and there must be a reason for this.

As for close shots, I'm going to having irons set up 45 degree offset on the rails. Maybe buy a detachable carry handle until I can get a good scope.

AR- Not sure the rifle but considering a300 yard short rifle at this time! There Gold ring scopes have an unconditional repair policy, This may extend to other scopes in there line up also, I don't know

If I had a choice [ Considering the tool you are using ] there would be a Vary x 111 / 1.5 t0 5 power Leupold on that rig.
In the brush placing it on 1.5 - 2 power is perfect. If you forget having been scoping something earlier on 5 power and mistakenly leave it on 5x, you still have a good chance to make the shot wile in the brush, but not much past that 5x magnification can you get away with that.

On 5 power you will have no problem shooting things @ 300 + yards. Our military veterans shot long past that with open sights.

The fixed 4 or the old M8 -4x Leupold of the 1960s is as clear as light. Back then there were no very x models for us to choose from and in the brush the old 4x is as good today as it was back then.
You can find them used and reasonable priced if you shop around and look closely for scratches on the lenses from the shirt tail wipes it may have received in the field.

Go to one of the bigger sporting goods dealers but promise yourself you will not purchase that day.
Remember there lighting makes everything look better than it is. They want a sale and hopefully quick a purchases that might have you up grading in just a few months. Dawn and evening twilight is when a great scope shines. It will leave you with the shot not the guess work of what the shaded image is.
Later Silver Hand

Last Edited:
May I ask why you prefer fixed power? With a .308 AR you can reach right out to 600 and knock a deer dead! I know I've done it!
I run several fixed 4x Leupolds and they work great! But I prefer something from 4x-16x these days..
Fixed power is hard to use up close around Oregon, but you can also have iron sights!
Leupold is a local company that has an great repair policy, my next choice would be a Nikon!

May I ask why you prefer fixed power? With a .308 AR you can reach right out to 600 and knock a deer dead! I know I've done it!
I run several fixed 4x Leupolds and they work great! But I prefer something from 4x-16x these days..
Fixed power is hard to use up close around Oregon, but you can also have iron sights!
Leupold is a local company that has an great repair policy, my next choice would be a Nikon!

I have shot both and have figured out that variable zoom is just another gadget that seems to be more of a distraction. Obviously this is subjective and may not be everyone's experience.

It seems that Leupold is the make to go with.

Thanks for the advice silver. 2.5 to 5x used to be state of the art. Lucky for me I'm in the market for a scope that can have any magnification plus illuminated reticles and some really nice ones have night vison, thermal, lasers, drop comp, etc. though I just want a good zoom 5-10 I think is good for my purpose. I'll have irons mounted 45 degree offset. 45 degree rifle tilt stance can actually be an effective shooting stance with a good ar stock.

What a prospective on what is available to date, thank you for that explanation. As a previous long and short range shooter and hunter, I personally do not see the need for much more than good clear optics with high quality bases and rings that will never move or change. This is another place quality is important for that shot after shot year after year accuracy that only varies as much as your ability [and custom made ammunition] to see the same place on the target and squeezing the next round into the same hole.

I have been around a few doctors that like to play with machine guns. It was a hoot just watching them shoot those weapons and so much of a rush for them, when they put them away and were ready to leave they looked as though the pills wore off. Totally different people but in the same body. Everyone has there own prospective of this sport and how they want it to play out. I'm sure Leupold has kept up with the market and are a good US company. They make the best.
A drop compensator will do a fine job getting you on target at long range, unless things have changed they are good for only one bullet weight. In the 1970s I had the chance to use a Redfield 3x9 that was built for the Vietnam war as a sniper scope, with a built in range finder at about 600 yards, I was impressed.
Silver Hand

Last Edited:
Ah very good, and I hate it when I'm out hunting and I throw up rifle and I'm 50 yards from the elk and the variable power is up on 20 gazzilion power!

95% of the time I shoot the animal with the power at about 4x! I do like do use my rifle as a spotting scope on occasion so I've learned to always crank that thing back down to minimum when I'm done..
I really love the new offset 45 degree iron sights that are available!

I also do some very long range hunting that requires a 20x plus Nightforce, and have been very successful, but that's on a .338 Lapua Ackley Improved...

Speaking of Leupold I just received 2 older ones back from repair! Both scopes were 30 plus years old! And they come back crystal clear and the adjustments are super smooth again. I tried to pay for the repair amd they said nope, wouldn't even let me pay for the shipping....
Can't beat that!

Ah very good, and I hate it when I'm out hunting and I throw up rifle and I'm 50 yards from the elk and the variable power is up on 20 gazzilion power!

95% of the time I shoot the animal with the power at about 4x! I do like do use my rifle as a spotting scope on occasion so I've learned to always crank that thing back down to minimum when I'm done..
I really love the new offset 45 degree iron sights that are available!

I also do some very long range hunting that requires a 20x plus Nightforce, and have been very successful, but that's on a .338 Lapua Ackley Improved...

Speaking of Leupold I just received 2 older ones back from repair! Both scopes were 30 plus years old! And they come back crystal clear and the adjustments are super smooth again. I tried to pay for the repair amd they said nope, wouldn't even let me pay for the shipping....
Can't beat that!

Glad you agree on the offset irons. Some people think they're just for video games but I say go try them out. They seem to work well on AR builds.

The fiddling with the zoom and it not being what you expect when you put your eye against the scope is why I prefer the fixed. The variables do make it nice to use the highest setting for looking around.

That's great to hear about the customer service of Leupold. I try to bring my business to places that have good customer service: Ruger, Crimson Trace, NWarmory, Kurts to name a few. I wish Commycast and Centurybubblegum would learn from these companies.

Night force makes some very cool stuff. Also if you're looking to sell a used fixed leupold I would be interested :rolleyes:.

Thank you for your input.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top