JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
No, I don't want a LVPO, those are worthless in my opinion.

I want something capable of seeing things at up to 500 yards well, but isn't huge.

I don't see the point of an LVPO really, the objective could be so much larger with the height of the mounts they are usually in, but most are so small and the field of view suffers.

At the same time, I really don't want some gigantic optic on this rifle.

I do want to see out to 200 with ease, and up to 500 without guessing like I have with prior attempts at using LVPOs.

Rifle in question would be an AR in 556 with a 20" barrel. It's semi-light, but adding 2#s of scope isnt what I quite want to do.

Thanks!

For anything kinda useful will probably be in the 32 oz range.
The Bushnell 3.5-15 is 39 oz

I'm twisting up an 18" and will use the Arken 4-16x50 that's on my .308 on it for now.
That one comes in at 32 oz, I think the MWI mount is 9 oz.

Nightforce NX8 2.5 - 20
Kahles 318i 3-18
Leupold VX5hd 3-15 or 4-20 (guess it doesn't fit the compact requirement but are light for magnification range)
Schmidt & Bender PM2 3-20 ultra short
Leupold Mark5hd 3.6 - 18

For anything kinda useful will probably be in the 32 oz range.
The Bushnell 3.5-15 is 39 oz

I'm twisting up an 18" and will use the Arken 4-16x50 that's on my .308 on it for now.
That one comes in at 32 oz, I think the MWI mount is 9 oz.
I looked at the Arken models. The SH4 is not much longer than most other optics out there.

Nightforce NX8 2.5 - 20
Kahles 318i 3-18
Leupold VX5hd 3-15 or 4-20 (guess it doesn't fit the compact requirement but are light for magnification range)
Schmidt & Bender PM2 3-20 ultra short
Leupold Mark5hd 3.6 - 18
The NX8 series definitely fits the bill.

I would skip the 2.5-20 NX8 and go right to the 4-32. I have read nothing but bad about the 2.5-20. I do have first hand experience with the 4-32 and was very impressed.

My choice at a bit lower price point is the Vortex PST Gen II 3-15. I have used this scope out to 1000 yards very effectively.

One I missed in my list is the Eotech Vudu 5-25, I don't normally think of Eotech when it comes to variable optics but it is made in Japan, guessing at LOW just like the Vortex Razors, Nightforce and other quality Japan made optics. Can't speak to the specs Eotech is having them built to but probably the most economical of the Japan made high end optics. I have seen them on sale for as much as 50% off.

I would skip the 2.5-20 NX8 and go right to the 4-32. I have read nothing but bad about the 2.5-20. I do have first hand experience with the 4-32 and was very impressed.

My choice at a bit lower price point is the Vortex PST Gen II 3-15. I have used this scope out to 1000 yards very effectively.
Are you talking FFP or SFP versions? I agree with the 2.5-20 in FFP being worthless until you get to the mid ranges of the magnification. I would not say the same of the SFP version.

I guess I would say probably FFP as I kind of lost interest in them after the initial roll out of the NX8's. I was very interested in the 2.5-20 when they were first released but waited to see what other thought before I jumped in. I like to do a bit (or a ton) of research on a purchase. Everything I read on Snipershide indicated that the glass was not very good on the 2.5-20 and the the 4-32 was much better. Lots of distortion around the edges was the main complaint.

I do understand that I am just relying on internet snipers but there seemed to be enough of a consensus that I lost all interest.

Fast forward to a year later and I buddy had the 4-32 SFP that he let me test out. Very impressed. Actually, within about 7 days (recently) I had a chance to look through a 5-25 ATACR and the 4-32 with some buddies. More than a couple of us thought the 4-32 was better than the ATACR.

That is my take on it. YMMV. :)

Good to know. The 2.5-20 looked really good at 12".

I'll look at that vortex. I looked through all of theirs and didn't see many that I'd consider compact outside of the LVPOs they offer.

One I missed in my list is the Eotech Vudu 5-25, I don't normally think of Eotech when it comes to variable optics but it is made in Japan, guessing at LOW just like the Vortex Razors, Nightforce and other quality Japan made optics. Can't speak to the specs Eotech is having them built to but probably the most economical of the Japan made high end optics. I have seen them on sale for as much as 50% off.
That guy looks really good. 11"ish. So far the shortest.

I guess I would say probably FFP as I kind of lost interest in them after the initial roll out of the NX8's. I was very interested in the 2.5-20 when they were first released but waited to see what other thought before I jumped in. I like to do a bit (or a ton) of research on a purchase. Everything I read on Snipershide indicated that the glass was not very good on the 2.5-20 and the the 4-32 was much better. Lots of distortion around the edges was the main complaint.

I do understand that I am just relying on internet snipers but there seemed to be enough of a consensus that I lost all interest.

Fast forward to a year later and I buddy had the 4-32 SFP that he let me test out. Very impressed. Actually, within about 7 days (recently) I had a chance to look through a 5-25 ATACR and the 4-32 with some buddies. More than a couple of us thought the 4-32 was better than the ATACR.

That is my take on it. YMMV. :)
I had a 4-32 NX8 FFP for about two days before I sold it. It was worthless through about the first 1/3 of its magnification range as the reticle was so small it was unusable. I have since looked through a 2.5 - 20 FFP and have the same opinion. Now both models in the SFP I find acceptable but once into an optic at that price point, I would only choose to go with them if size and weight were the primary factors in my decision. I also found the NX8 line to be sensitive on eye relief but I think that is a challenge with any 8x or high maginification range optic. I have ATACR's in 5-25 and 7-35 and they are far superior in all respects except for size and weight for my eyes (all are SFP) but then I haven't spent a lot of time behind an ATACR and NX8 side by side. The only NX8 I have and spent significant time behind and meets my needs is the NX8 1-8 LPVO which the only draw back to it is the sensitive eye relief. I will soon be picking up a ATACR in FFP for a new build and will see how I like it compared to the SFP ATACR's I have in use.

Good to know. The 2.5-20 looked really good at 12".

I'll look at that vortex. I looked through all of theirs and didn't see many that I'd consider compact outside of the LVPOs they offer.

I agree that the 3-15 isn't compact in terms of length but I believe it is very comparable in weight to the NX8.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top