JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You are looking for a compact scope - have you considered a fixed power as opposed to a zoom? Less weight, smaller size, more light transmission, can get better glass for less $$$, more rugged. Don't discount what the venerable Super Sniper can do.

What magnification do you need to shoot that distance? Until I hit 50 my eyes were 20-15 and 10x would be enough for ~1000 yards. today, well that's why I bought the SH4, but it's darned near two lbs.

You are looking for a compact scope - have you considered a fixed power as opposed to a zoom? Less weight, smaller size, more light transmission, can get better glass for less $$$, more rugged. Don't discount what the venerable Super Sniper can do.

What magnification do you need to shoot that distance? Until I hit 50 my eyes were 20-15 and 10x would be enough for ~1000 yards. today, well that's why I bought the SH4, but it's darned near two lbs.
Done fixed to distances up to 500. Depending on the size of the target, I can do ok-ish. For 50 yards and closer I don't mind a low power, but these days even out to 100 I rarely have any of my scopes on anything lower than 10 power. So anything past that is always at higher power.

I have a really nice SA AR15 that I'm really happy with after swapping to a nice 20" barrel and tired of straining to hit well with. It's not that lightweight, but that doesn't mean I want to drop a huge scope on it. I want to be able to use it affectively if I ever needed to.

One I missed in my list is the Eotech Vudu 5-25, I don't normally think of Eotech when it comes to variable optics but it is made in Japan, guessing at LOW just like the Vortex Razors, Nightforce and other quality Japan made optics. Can't speak to the specs Eotech is having them built to but probably the most economical of the Japan made high end optics. I have seen them on sale for as much as 50% off.
The more I look at this one online the more it is winning me over.

Done fixed to distances up to 500. Depending on the size of the target, I can do ok-ish. For 50 yards and closer I don't mind a low power, but these days even out to 100 I rarely have any of my scopes on anything lower than 10 power. So anything past that is always at higher power.

I have a really nice SA AR15 that I'm really happy with after swapping to a nice 20" barrel and tired of straining to hit well with. It's not that lightweight, but that doesn't mean I want to drop a huge scope on it. I want to be able to use it affectively if I ever needed to.
Mebbe take a look at a few of these: https://www.swfa.com/optics/riflescopes.html#brand=SWFA SS

Even the 20x scope is 22 oz., most of the fixed ones are $300. Don't let the low price fool you, these were used for many, many years by military snipers. Tracking is spot on, glass is clear and bright, very rugged due to the fixed magnification design. Lots of reviews out there.

Maybe something in the 10x-16x range?

Mebbe take a look at a few of these: https://www.swfa.com/optics/riflescopes.html#brand=SWFA SS

Even the 20x scope is 22 oz., most of the fixed ones are $300. Don't let the low price fool you, these were used for many, many years by military snipers. Tracking is spot on, glass is clear and bright, very rugged due to the fixed magnification design. Lots of reviews out there.

Maybe something in the 10x-16x range?
Interesting, I've never really looked at those before. Maybe not for this rifle, but I'll keep those in mind for futures.

No, I don't want a LVPO, those are worthless in my opinion.

I want something capable of seeing things at up to 500 yards well, but isn't huge.

I don't see the point of an LVPO really, the objective could be so much larger with the height of the mounts they are usually in, but most are so small and the field of view suffers.

At the same time, I really don't want some gigantic optic on this rifle.

I do want to see out to 200 with ease, and up to 500 without guessing like I have with prior attempts at using LVPOs.

Rifle in question would be an AR in 556 with a 20" barrel. It's semi-light, but adding 2#s of scope isnt what I quite want to do.

Thanks!
Probably not powerful enough for what you need but I've had this little dude on multiple guns over the last 14 years or so. It has lived on my air pistol for the last couple years. It gets used and banged around about 3-4 times per week. Has never lost zero. 12.75" long, 14 ounces. Mil dot reticle is great (I don't use illumination feature at all fwiw) and very bright and clear scope. Also sold as UTG. I can only vouch for the one that looks like this. There are other version with the bug buster name I think.

Got to look through an Arken EP5 the other day. Wow! For what they cost!

This puts the SH4 4-16x50 high on the list at 12.8". At $400 it is very hard not to be cheap!

Got to look through an Arken EP5 the other day. Wow! For what they cost!

This puts the SH4 4-16x50 high on the list at 12.8". At $400 it is very hard not to be cheap!
Wow that is a small package. Reticle looks busy to me but in terms of squeezing out every ounce of accuracy at distance that would be kinda the bees knees reticle it seems to me.

Wow that is a small package. Reticle looks busy to me but in terms of squeezing out every ounce of accuracy at distance that would be kinda the bees knees reticle it seems to me.
Christmas tree reticles look busy, but they work really well for quick follow up shots. Doesn't do much if just shooting paper, but for competition and such it makes holding over much easier having preset dots.

Christmas tree reticles look busy, but they work really well for quick follow up shots. Doesn't do much if just shooting paper, but for competition and such it makes holding over much easier having preset dots.
I hate how buys Christmas tree reticles are but am starting to see the need for competition rifles where time is a factor and you can't waste the time to twist nobs. Some Christmas tree designs are much better than others.

I am so used to using holdover for everything just cuz of "precision" airgun shooting where u have big drops and big shifts for windage. So I'm a big fan of having a little too much on the reticle vs too little. So fun to take an animal with a nearly perfect shot at much farther than u have any right to.

Fe from tedsholdover YouTube where he uses camera on the scope:

I hate how buys Christmas tree reticles are but am starting to see the need for competition rifles where time is a factor and you can't waste the time to twist nobs. Some Christmas tree designs are much better than others.
If your good at math, they are easy! I'm going to try mil with the next scope and F up my whole world as I've always used MOA. However, most ballistic calculators are in 10ths no matter what you use. Makes more sense just to use something that uses 10ths then.

I am so used to using holdover for everything just cuz of airgun shooting where u have big drops and big shifts for windage. So I'm a big fan of having a little too much on the reticle vs too little.
I'm the same. For paper punching a simple reticle is the best. Long range shooting too. As I can just dial my misses in versus holding. These reticles really shine in competition settings where a quick hold saves time vs messing with knobs. I've seen folks in PRS and NRL just use the reticle for an entire stage vs dialing between targets. Seems like a great way to speed things up.

If your good at math, they are easy! I'm going to try mil with the next scope and F up my whole world as I've always used MOA. However, most ballistic calculators are in 10ths no matter what you use. Makes more sense just to use something that uses 10ths then.

I'm the same. For paper punching a simple reticle is the best. Long range shooting too. As I can just dial my misses in versus holding. These reticles really shine in competition settings where a quick hold saves time vs messing with knobs. I've seen folks in PRS and NRL just use the reticle for an entire stage vs dialing between targets. Seems like a great way to speed things up.
Agree and for me the "math" becomes "automatic" (or maybe a better way to say it would be "intuition") with experience. Speaking only of airguns, I know that if I hold at "x,y spot" the pellet will end up at location z and then u see it hit the neck of a bird or under and behind the chin (soft pallet) or ear hole of mammal exactly where you knew it would end up. Man that is satisfying. That only comes with an accurate gun/ammo combo and a lot of experience with that particular gun/scope though. With airguns everything is exaggerated and 80-100 yards is a very long range shot. If I had a place to shoot longer range I would love to do the same with real guns.

Last Edited:
Strelok+ does all the math.
200 yd hold over.
HEJytN9l.jpg
WKGUQaBl.jpg
Z6MwNH9l.jpg
I like the reticle quite a bit.
The illumination could be brighter but for a sub $500 scope it's not a deal breaker.

I like mine on a .223 bolt gun:

Ended up with a SH4 from Arken. Currently messing around with it on my SA16" that I never really tested all that well in the past. With M193 it's almost a MIL per additional 100 yards. Tracks great and isn't huge. I was putting double taps on a 1/3 torso steel target at 600 yards with it. Need to put some more precise rounds through it at 100, something I've never done with this rifle.

7FB7AA38-2C77-477A-BC01-E27B5F982ABD.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top