JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
+?? on the Rock Island Mine is the A2 double stack in 9mm with an additional barrel and spring for the .22TCM ( two guns for the price of one)
In truth I have yet to fire the .22 as I've been having to much fun with the 9mm.

Got a couple year old RIA 1911 in 10mm and it has been flawless. Not quite as accurate as some of the top-shelf $2k+ alternatives, but if my copy serves an example, not bad at all.

Last Edited:
I like Rock Island as a product and a company. I had a 1911 Tactical but sold it for a Sig P220. Hard call on which was best. I think the Rock was easier to shoot accurately. My RIA was tight but a pain to reassemble. I see the RIA 1911 Tacticals for $460 at all the gun shows. The Rugers are also good. Not for the money, just good period.

There is a huge amount to be said for the bottom tier of 1911s. We'd all like an STI or Kimber but for the money that isn't going to happen. Remington, Ruger, and RI have all stepped up to give us great products.

You aren't going to be disappointed with any of them I think.

As for being a money trap, everything is... As long as you get out and shoot, you win.

I had a stainless R1. It was a well made piece of gear. Excellent shooter, accurate and functioned problem free. I was very happy when I got it, and not very happy when I had to sell it.

Last Edited:
View attachment 389718 I've run an ATI 1911 Commander size, with a quick polishing of the feed ramp, I've gotten it to reliably feed everything... More accurate than me. Certainly accurate enough for self defense work, tighter than my Colt Combat Commander XSE...

Ran me in the 350.00 range IIRC... Grips are not original...

This is the same as the rock island and the version I repaired.

I may get flak for this, but the Rock Island guns are pretty good in my experience. Mine has been surprisingly accurate and a buddy of mine just got one as well. Just avoid the GI model and go for one with bigger sights on it.

Personally I think they've come a long ways and are a great builder gun esp for the budget minded.

I may get flak for this, but the Rock Island guns are pretty good in my experience. Mine has been surprisingly accurate and a buddy of mine just got one as well. Just avoid the GI model and go for one with bigger sights on it.

For the under 6 bills budget these are always my first choice. Just did some quick quote searches. The manufacturers have as I knew they would, tightened inventory. Here I can get a RI for $440 out the door and up. The Remington which for a while I was seeing at shocking prices I can get for just over 6 out the door. I have seen a lot of the RI's last decade or so and everyone who had one loved it for the price.

Wow, I'd spring on one for that price!!! Seriously, 4 bills for a remmy 1911!
They "were" selling for that for while after the great glut in guns. I was sorely tempted to buy one or two. I am not seeing them at that price today. If you do see one at that price still I would jump on it now. They are tightening the inventory back up as I knew they would.

I've looked at those extensively but haven't ran into someone who has owned one yet. How does the finish look up close?

My son-in-law and I were window shopping for his first 1911 yesterday. Handled a nice entry level RIA and all was good. A good place to start. He also wants a Ruger SR1911. Happy hunting!

I have stripped and inspected hundreds of 1911s over rhe years, and if it were not for the manufactures role marks, it would be really hard to tell a Rock Island from the others. I have never seen a flawed R.I. or had any that had failures. Like all 1911s they will wear parts and need tuning at some point, Nice thing is they are G.I. spec, so they can use most standard parts and be ready to go when needed!

My understanding is that ATI and Rock Island, while both are made in the Philippines, are not the same company.

I bought an ATI and like it a lot, but it came with a defective barrel out of the box new, and took a trip back on their dime for a new barrel. It looked like the chamber had been cut with a bad reamer.

+1 on the Para Expert, a Stainless Steel model with extended beavertail, Commander style hammer, rock solid frame and slide can be had right around $600 new. Had two and both still running strong as ever after close to 1200+ rounds.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top