JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've got about $600 just burning a hole in my pocket and I'm wanting another 1911. I sold my first and only one years ago and immediately regretted it. So looking for one in the $500-$600 range.

I may get flak for this, but the Rock Island guns are pretty good in my experience. Mine has been surprisingly accurate and a buddy of mine just got one as well. Just avoid the GI model and go for one with bigger sights on it.

I bought mine about 7 years ago and it is what they called a Tactical model with just a basic parkerized finish. It isn't flashy, and the grips were very plain wood, but I swapped those for slim Hogues anyway. There are some minor machine marks in places, but nothing I haven't seen on other guns. The rifling is very crisp and shiny and the feed ramp is well polished. The trigger is actually a pretty good 4.5lbs and it has an over travel stop on it. I think it is a great gun for the $400 I spent on it at the time. If you look around on the internet, you should be able to find one for around $500 pretty easy. Citadel is also made by Armscor, the company that makes Rock Island, and they have different finish and grip options.

Get yourself a Rock Island. The only thing slightly disappointing is the trigger pull. They come a little on the heavy side. That's easy to remedy.
Fit and finish is pretty decent. Accuracy is superb. It's actually downright impressive.

Another plus one for the RIA. I've had a standard M1911A1 in .45 ACP since around February of 2007 and have found it a very solid pistola.

ria.jpg

I bought a Remington R1. It is fantastic. Very good shooter. It's my first 1911, but I shot lots of other peoples 1911s and I think it is the best that I've ever shot. The bottom of the line is $500. .

Go down to Sportsmens or fisherman's marine and try one.

Get a rock island. Change the grips and have Velzey clean the trigger. I have owned six in three calibers (3 .45, 2 .38 super, and 1 9mm) and have yet to be disappointed. I hate the cheap grips, but that is easy to fix.

I was presented with a broken Rock island for repair. I believed made in the Philippians also imported by several other importers under various names.
It had a sheared off ejector, I have no Idea how it was sheared off, a low carbon item? who knows, it happened before they got it.. Nonetheless with some effort, I was able to remove the flush sheared pins, gave it a badly needed cleaning, filed to fit a colt 1911 ejector, (maybe 20 bucks or so) blued it then fitted and repined it in. Having no knowledge so no opine to the metallurgy, it seem to be a solid and well built piece of iron though lacking anything approximating a quality finish. Fairly tight, we took it out and they put maybe fifty rounds (6-7 mags) through it of various bulk 45 ammo without a hitch, trigger was actually fair and hit @ point of aim @ 15 yards. I'm not positive but think they run 475 on up to "your kidding" not a chance. I think it will give fair service for some time with good news that other manufacturer parts will fit it for repair or upgrade..
Not much to test to show what it will do in a pinch but seemed rather fair product for the money maybe dress it up a little with some nicer grips.
I, would look around for sales, you should be able to find a Remington R1 45 for under six, I have one, and it exceeds expectations for an "Economy" pistol, or, possibly a lightly used better rig for six but not likely much below that.

I was presented with a broken Rock island for repair. I believed made in the Philippians also imported by several other importers under various names.
It had a sheared off ejector, I have no Idea how it was sheared off, a low carbon item? who knows, it happened before they got it.. Nonetheless with some effort, I was able to remove the flush sheared pins, gave it a badly needed cleaning, filed to fit a colt 1911 ejector, (maybe 20 bucks or so) blued it then fitted and repined it in. Having no knowledge so no opine to the metallurgy, it seem to be a solid and well built piece of iron though lacking anything approximating a quality finish. Fairly tight, we took it out and they put maybe fifty rounds (6-7 mags) through it of various bulk 45 ammo without a hitch, trigger was actually fair and hit @ point of aim @ 15 yards. I'm not positive but think they run 475 on up to "your kidding" not a chance. I think it will give fair service for some time with good news that other manufacturer parts will fit it for repair or upgrade..
Not much to test to show what it will do in a pinch but seemed rather fair product for the money maybe dress it up a little with some nicer grips.
I, would look around for sales, you should be able to find a Remington R1 45 for under six, I have one, and it exceeds expectations for an "Economy" pistol, or, possibly a lightly used better rig for six but not likely much below that.
Got my R1 for $399 after rebate. Lowest now is 499

The SR1911 looks great, still just a little too steep.
The 100 or so dollars the Ruger is out of your price range is money well spent. Buy one that cost in your price range and you'll be wanting to spend money on it as soon as you can. Buy the Ruger and shoot it. You won't be sorry you did.

image.jpeg I've run an ATI 1911 Commander size, with a quick polishing of the feed ramp, I've gotten it to reliably feed everything... More accurate than me. Certainly accurate enough for self defense work, tighter than my Colt Combat Commander XSE...

Ran me in the 350.00 range IIRC... Grips are not original...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top