JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've looked over the forum and interweb. Seem to be no specific requirements other than the buyer can be prohibited and must be over 18. Sounds simple (compared to CA), but how does a seller insure that the buyer is not prohibited? One suggestion I've run across is to require evidence of a CCW license which makes a great deal of sense. I don't want to get jammed up by inadvertently selling to a felon. Thoughts?

And then there is the "where do you do the transfer": daylight, public place, .....

I've looked over the forum and interweb. Seem to be no specific requirements other than the buyer can be prohibited and must be over 18. Sounds simple (compared to CA), but how does a seller insure that the buyer is not prohibited? One suggestion I've run across is to require evidence of a CCW license which makes a great deal of sense. I don't want to get jammed up by inadvertently selling to a felon. Thoughts?

And then there is the "where do you do the transfer": daylight, public place, .....

You can't knowingly sell to a prohibited person, and they have to be a resident of your state. Back when this state was freer, I would just ask for a peek at their DL to confirm residence and judge them based on their appearance. If they seemed like a decent human, I'd make the transfer. Sometimes I'd do a BOS, sometimes I wouldn't bother.

And then yeah, public place, usually a parking lot.

I've looked over the forum and interweb. Seem to be no specific requirements other than the buyer can be prohibited and must be over 18.

Here's a pretty good part of the interwb Gun & Weapon Law

And a call to your local Sheriff's office would probably help. You are in Idaho,,,,not California.

It's simple you still have to go through an FFL for the sale to be completed. He/she will do the back ground check and only then is it a done deal.

We don't have the silly Transfer requirements in Oklahoma or Alaska or Florida for private sales. We buy and sell private party all the time no questions asked. It has worked for over 200 years. The percentage of Guns purchased this way by felons is very low across the country , with more being stolen by them so nobody can verify if traced and questioned. This is more of a problem in Gun control cities like Chicago, Detroit, LA, NYC, NJ, Baltimore , and DC where people run guns to make high profits off of like drugs.
At The big Tulsa Gun show , the FFL dealers want a copy of your ID if they buy from you , and unless you are acting strange, or saying things that may raise red flags , sellers don't ask for ID who are private selles/ Collectors.

It's simple you still have to go through an FFL for the sale to be completed. He/she will do the back ground check and only then is it a done deal.
No.

I require a idaho cwl ever since I sold to a jackass who later that night sold the same pistol to God knows who.

Many require a bill of sale, for a for that can be found online.

Before the laws changed I did this for years. For me? This worked. I would tell person when they called, "are you a resident of this state?" Yes, I will need to see ID showing you are and I will write up a bill of sale. I would look at their ID, fill out the bill of sale and give them a copy. I later took to making digital copies of these when I got into PC's. For me this made me totally comfortable. I figured if a gun that was papered to me ever ended up at a crime I could show when and who I sold it to. The law looked to me like it said I could not sell to a person I knew was not supposed to have it. I never had a problem with the buyer coming to my home. I never told them where I lived until we hashed out the deal first on the phone. I had bought a lot of guns this way too and never had anyone want to meet me somewhere to do so.

That's not correct in Idaho and most other states if both the buyer and seller are residents of the same state. The sale does not have to go through an FFL and no background check is required.

It was also legal in Washington until 2014 and in Oregon until 2015. I bought handguns and rifles from private parties without a background check in Oregon before 2015.

It's interesting how quickly some people have come to believe that background checks for private sales are the new "normal" and are the law in other states. There is no such law in free states.

I'm not up on ID laws.

Then why are you making definitive statements to someone in Idaho when you don't know what you are talking about?

Last Edited:
It would be nice if instead of a required BGC, the state supplied a service where a buyer could be verified - WITHOUT having to give the state the make/model/serial # and type of firearm. A CCW is more or less that, but some of us don't have that (I let mine expire - I don't usually carry concealed, but I need to get one again).

OR used to have a number you could call to check to see if a gun was on a list of stolen firearms. Not sure if they still do.

OR used to have a number you could call to check to see if a gun was on a list of stolen firearms. Not sure if they still do.

They still do. It is the same number private sellers are supposed to use when selling at a gun show.

FICS Instant Check and Stolen Gun Checks
Toll-Free: 1-800-432-5059
Phone: 503-585-6245
Fax: 503-370-8584
[email protected]

Hours
8 am – 10 pm every day except Thanksgiving and Christmas

Banks have cameras, lots of them. Now, I can see how some may raise an eyebrow about transacting a firearm sale in a bank parking lot but unless you do jumping jacks and wave things around, I still think it's a valid place to go. If the other person is hinky about it, that's a good clue.

As far as ME, PERSONALLY, I like the background check the way it is now. Except for the fee part. I wish they wouldn't have made it law, for those that want their firearm ownership to be a private thing. Or you're selling to buddy you've known for many years. And of course, the thing they always ignore.....The bad guys aren't going to do a legal transfer. :s0054: It would have made more sense if people had the option of meeting at an FFL for a face to face transfer BEFORE they passed the law. Doing it that way virtually eliminates the chance of being jumped and robbed, or selling to/buying from a bad guy.

I've bought and sold before the law came along, not a bunch though. Even though the guys I did biz with were vetted via NWFA, and my own common sense, as members in good standing there's still something comforting about doing it at an FFL.

It is a Gun Registration scheme pure and simple... if its on a 4473 form its registered and since the ATF now requires FFL's to turn in records if they go out of business , instead of destroying them after 5 years, if you don't think they have a database of those records then I have a Bridge to sell you ! Registration will lead to confiscation history has proved time and time again !

I'm in Idaho. Handshake deals without The Crown's prior approval is still legal. I don't sell to people who seem shifty or pull up in a car with out of state plates. I might ask to peek at a driver's license just to verify residence and ask, "Are you legal to purchase?" If it looks good, proceed. You can't KNOWINGLY sell to prohibited peoples. A bill of sale wouldn't hurt, I have no problem signing one as a buyer. As far as requiring a carry license, that's your prerogative as a seller. Just keep in mind that Idaho is a constitutional carry state so many residents view a permit as unnecessary, myself included.
I like doing deals in the Sportsman's parking lot. Plenty of people and they aren't the crowd to freak out at the sight of a firearm.

Welcome to Idaho!

I made the statement because I was trying to help. Nothing more. So, she [sic] me.

Trying to be helpful is admirable, but I think we all - not just you, but everyone - need to be careful to avoid spreading misinformation, especially when the consequences of a mistake can be serious, such as with legal and reloading topics. You could have said "I don't know what the law is in Idaho, but in Washington where I live....". When it comes to legal and reloading issues, if someone isn't 100% sure what they are saying is accurate it is probably best to say nothing. Or do some research before posting.

Especially with all the new legislation we are being assaulted with, all of us trying to avoid spreading misinformation would be helpful.

Trying to be helpful is admirable, but I think we all - not just you, but everyone - need to be careful to avoid spreading misinformation, especially when the consequences of a mistake can be serious, such as with legal and reloading topics. You could have said "I don't know what the law is in Idaho, but in Washington where I live....". When it comes to legal and reloading issues, if someone isn't 100% sure what they are saying is accurate it is probably best to say nothing. Or do some research before posting.

Especially with all the new legislation we are being assaulted with, all of us trying to avoid spreading misinformation would be helpful.

Oh, wouldn't that be wonderful.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads