JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a buddy that is interested in buying a pistol from me. He is 19 and I understand that if you purchase a handgun from a licensed FFL and dealer you must be 21. Does that age apply to private transfer sales for handguns as well or is the minimum age 18??

Thanks!!

Purchase method is irrelevant to the age restriction.

That being said, what happens between you, him and whatever government drone happens to be flying over your backyard that given moment is neither here nor there.

Correct. Must be 21 in OR to purchase a handgun and even private party sales require you go through an FFL and BGC.... if you wanna stay on Johnny Law's good side.

Oddly, anyone over 18 can "possess" a handgun, but can't purchase one... or ammo for it under 21.

Last Edited:
I have a buddy that is interested in buying a pistol from me. He is 19 and I understand that if you purchase a handgun from a licensed FFL and dealer you must be 21. Does that age apply to private transfer sales for handguns as well or is the minimum age 18??

Thanks!!
I would suggest he build a 80% pistol.

Not legal advice here, but personal opinion. If a person is old enough to be asked to die for their country, they should be old enough to exercise ALL of their rights.

The older I get, the more I hate THEIR rules.

Not legal advice here, but personal opinion. If a person is old enough to be asked to die for their country, they should be old enough to exercise ALL of their rights.

The older I get, the more I hate THEIR rules.
I agree!

However: I will not put my future firearms ownership, my career, nor my family at risk.

YMMV, as may the OP's.

We're in uncharted territories....you can't go to an FFL anymore to transfer because there is no system in place. So private sales are gonna happen and should happen. And honestly none of their business.

Oregon allows family member to gift it.
Rather than going through all the BS to get their unconstitutional "permit to buy", a buyer and seller could just get a marriage license, elope, make the trade, then divorce. All done, without the ridiculous training, permit process, and fees. And 100% legal within the lines of this BS unconstitutional M114.

Thanks!!
18 to possess a handgun...so whos to say how he aquired it

Rather than going through all the BS to get their unconstitutional "permit to buy", a buyer and seller could just get a marriage license, elope, make the trade, then divorce. All done, without the ridiculous training, permit process, and fees. And 100% legal within the lines of this BS unconstitutional M114.
that's creativity at it finest.

This is genius!

Or ..... wait for it OR !!!! you can just do a private sale because we tried playing by the rules and they screwed us. On top of that it's not their business.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top