JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As a female, I would suggest a Glock 19. They are very popular with women. Accurate, reliable and high capacity. Easy to conceal too. I also have a Shield 9mm which is a great gun, but I prefer the G19.

M&P - whichever model feels better in her hand (Shield, Compact, Full).

Three reasons:

1. It is all-American.

2. It is a great weapon. It is reliable, features a comfortable grip angle, sits low in your hand which adds control, comes with 3 replaceable back straps on Compact & Full models, comes with optional Thumb safeties.

3. It looks good :)

2dcisux.jpg

Well having just taken my wife out today, we were on a time crunch so we had about 30 minutes to shoot. She shot a Ruger SR22, wow for a little .22 that thing sure was snappy, we both had trouble hitting the target at 20 feet. Next she shot the Ruger LC9, way too long of trigger pull, not the right gun for a beginner. If we had more time I'd have had her shoot my XD sub .40, the extra weight absorbs more of the recoil, keeping it on target, and the trigger is wayyyy better. My recomendation, take her out to shoot as much as possible to see what she likes to shoot, not just comfort in hand.

OC

For Full size S&W M&P for compact Ruger LC9
Glock is ugly and cost more that S&W
Cz to heavy
Any DA Beretta (except M9) have a too long trigger pull similar to Taurus, SA or SA/DA are good.
Khar is good bud I have ergonomics against it
Stoeger Cougar is goon but you need fire 500 rounds to break in
Please don't buy cheep staff(Taurus Bersa Hi point CAI Tri star any EAA guns) she have to relay on it
No Sig's exept 226/229
That my 0.0002c

What is wrong with Bersa?

Great suggestions!

In the end I decided on the Glock 19 and the full size S&W M&P9 Pro Series. I *really* miss my Glock 19, more so than any other gun I've ever sold. I've also really wanted to try one of the M&P9's, as I've heard so many good things about them. We'll see how they work out!

Great suggestions!

In the end I decided on the Glock 19 and the full size S&W M&P9 Pro Series. I *really* miss my Glock 19, more so than any other gun I've ever sold. I've also really wanted to try one of the M&P9's, as I've heard so many good things about them. We'll see how they work out!
Both great choices! Let us know how it works out.

I am a woman, and a relatively new shooter. I have a SW Shield 9mm that I've had for about a month and I carry it every time I leave the house. I really love Glocks, I learned to shoot a 19 and that's the standard I measure everything by. I really love my Shield, but honestly the only thing it's got on a Glock 26 is the grip is a fair bit narrower. That's useful for concealing, especially for a small-framed woman, because I'm a proponent of carrying on my body at all times (especially with children present).

Barrel length and width is the same (think about it, once it's chambered it doesn't matter whether your mag is a single stack or a double). I do like the Glock trigger a little better; if you experience a malfunction, the trigger does not feel "dead" immediately on the Shield, whereas the Glock gives you that feedback the second you touch it. You won't feel the dead trigger on the Shield until you have already committed to the shot. Of course, hopefully you're monitoring your firearm and this would not come as a surprise, but anything to give you that extra help in an emergency may save your life. Glock also is just nicer on the reset- I can't figure out why M&P can't get a good reset on their triggers. Like everyone else has said, I agree that they made some big improvements with the Shield's trigger reset. It's much crisper than the M&P 9, but still nothing like a Glock.

I'm beginning to suspect that the trigger pull is causing me some issues though. I have had very slight pulling to the left when practicing. Everything I've read says it's probably a problem with not enough finger on the trigger, but the problem stays consistent with different grips. I believe this is something that lots more dry practice with the Shield will solve because it does have a bit heavier trigger pull than the Glocks. I just have to learn the muscle memory, and breaking the gun in a little more couldn't hurt.

Overall, compared to the other compact single stacks on the market (at least until the XDS 9 makes its appearance) the Shield is a really wonderful little gun. It's easy to carry, easy to conceal, and very pleasant to shoot. Recoil is very manageable, I really like it. I just wish it were a Glock....

I have a Shield, and I agree with you about the trigger. I prefer my G19, and CC it daily. I am much more accurate with it too.
Did you ever consider a G26/27? If so, why did you choose the Shield?

Shield trigger can be fixed with an ~ $93 trigger kit from Apex Tactical (link). So that makes a $400 gun into a $500 gun. That's about the normal G19 pricing. I think it is a good enhancement I haven't taken the plunge because as bad as it may be, I think the gritty 9lb trigger long pull is adequate.

I also wished it had better front sight, like the XDs.

I've heard and seen videos on latest gen G19 failures when limp wristed. I tried to limp wrist my Shield 9mm the worst way possible, and it never failed. I wished I had taped the tests.

It was the narrowness in the grip, it made it just that much easier to conceal because that's the part that is up above my waistband that I need to worry about the most. I can hide the g26 pretty easily too, although I have to dress around the gun a tiny bit more. The g19 is harder. I've packed the 26, when I'm around kids ALL day, bending over, etc, it was that extra narrowness that I went with. I wanted to be sure enough that it wouldn't print that I wouldn't hesitate putting my gun on every day. Yes, I'm a little more accurate with the 19 too, but I'm pretty darn close with the Shield. I'm bringing that pulling to the left under control with more training.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top