JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lately I've met many more women interested in shooting, and aside from the snappy Kahr PM9 everything else I have is .22 or .45ACP.

I'm looking for a more comfortable 9mm handgun to bridge the gap. Lets hear some suggestions :)

Try the M&P9. Most of the perks of a glock, with much better ergonomics.
Interchangeable grips including a small one for the smaller lady hands and easier to hang on to than a smaller carry gun (i.e. PM9).

Joe,
My wife (who I talked into joining here) has a Beretta Nano 9mm - great little compact gun. She enjoys shooting it, and did quite well with it. She also likes the Glock 19 and 26. The M&P 9mms (compact or full size) would be good selections too - the M&P is a really soft shooter.

My wife loves her PX4 storm. Interchangeable back strap, low bore axis and apparently that combined with the rotating barrel really eats the recoil. Shooting it compared to my Glock17, there is noticeable difference in recoil. If you want to go try it let me know.

In the last few months I've introduced three women to handguns. I was sure they would take to revolvers - they all hated them. G19 was a big hit, though.

I bought a Glock 19 on a recommendation before I ever shot a handgun. It turned out to be a great decision. I can rack the slide with no problem, and as far as shooting it accurately, I do better with it than anything else in my modest collection. (I'm still a new shooter but I 'm genuinely encouraged by the way that gun performs for me...I can do this! Lol)

Your mileage, of course, may vary.

Joe,
I'd have to say the Gen 4 G19. My wife use to carry the G19 gen 4, and LOVED it. Just a little to heavy for her, so she now carries a Ruger LCR .38. Not as many rounds, but much lighter for her.
The previous gens of glocks, don't seem to fit as well as the Newer gen 4. The ergonomics of the newly designed grip, the slightly longer mag release, and the slide stop seems to be moved back just a slight bit or it's easier to manipulate than the previous gens as well.
If we still had it, I would let you Borrow it, but she sold it a while back.
I am a huge XD-XDm fan, and for me to say that I even like the new gen 4 glocks is shocking :) but true, and only the gen. 4.

Just my .02 cents worth....

Stay Safe.

The small DOA guns are lousy to learn with, personal experience speaking. The Ruger SR9c is a great gun, not to big and not to small with a pretty good SA trigger, recoils isn't biting, and should be well less than $500.00.

If you can find one.

Mike

The 1st centerfire handgun that I started with was a CZ-75. They are absolutely great because recoil is minimal, double/single action, very accurate, and it's something that neither you or her will ever really outgrow. Sure, you may definitely get flashier handguns...but you'll always enjoy pulling it out when you're at the range. Obviously, YMMV, but I would definitely recommend placing it on the list and then going to a shop/range and trying as many out as you are able prior to buying.

My wife is new to shooting and loves her Walther PPQ 9mm. We went together and looked at several different makes and models. Common complaints/issues she had while handling the firearm in the store were things like grip size (she has fairly small hands), difficulty fully racking the slide (she found compacts and pocket guns tougher then a full sized model) and overall weight. I've shot her PPQ a few times and have to say I do love that smooth trigger and really short reset.

My wife loves shooting her Gen IV Glock 19. She not only shoots it well but it also fits into her purse quite well.

I hope she still uses a holster of other form of trigger protection.

A purpose built purse for the gun she carries from Galco. Is that good enough?

The wife likes Galco so much that at last count she's got three. Something about different styles being important. She says I don't understand because I'm a man, but if that's what makes her happy then how can I say no? I do know how expensive they are. But as the old saying goes, "You get what you pay for". Indeed, she said the quality is so high that she'd probably want a Galco purse even if she wasn't packing a gun.

Side note. My wife was "spotted" by one of the shelf stocking babes at Cabela's a few weeks back. She descretely asked my wife "Is that a CCW purse?" That started a whole discussion between them regarding the vertues of different purses and styles and types of purses. I quickly became bored and left them still in discussion and checked out the range finders. This shelf stocking babe was herself a CHL holder, otherwise my wife wouldn't have been "spotted".

For Full size S&W M&P for compact Ruger LC9
Glock is ugly and cost more that S&W
Cz to heavy
Any DA Beretta (except M9) have a too long trigger pull similar to Taurus, SA or SA/DA are good.
Khar is good bud I have ergonomics against it
Stoeger Cougar is goon but you need fire 500 rounds to break in
Please don't buy cheep staff(Taurus Bersa Hi point CAI Tri star any EAA guns) she have to relay on it
No Sig's exept 226/229
That my 0.0002c

Thanks for the advice guys! I've been wanting to pick up a G19 ever since I sold mine (one of my favorite guns of all time), and an M&P9 full size because everyone who owns one loves it. Sounds like I'll start there then maybe explore some of these other options.

I think if I was younger I would buy all the different brands of small 9mms just to "help" out some girls that want to start shooting.
There are plenty out there too. Girls who want to learn shooting that is.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top