JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which 30.06 would you choose?

• Browning AB3 Hunter (Walnut)

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Winchester XPR

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Thompson Center Venture

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Alright, my wife just saw the pictures of the three rifles i posted, she has ruled out the Weatherby purely on looks....

I asked her to put them in order, she wouldn't take the Vanguard as third place, she wouldn't place it, will not have it, guess that makes it easier.

Oddly, she rated the synth stock Winchester slightly above the wood stock Browning, which pretty much reverses your call, @Velzey :p

Savage 111 trophy hunter. Comes w 3-9 Nikon scope. At bimart for $424 and I think there's a savage $75 rebate this week $350 for a new rifle is great.

We got a 260 and shot it today. Sub minute of angle. Out of the box

I'm surprised the XPR is even a consideration, seeing how it has a recall on it..
The recall is a year old, and it was the same kind of crappy recall the Remington 700 triggers were recalled for, it doesn't bother me at this point as all for sale guns will have been remedied.

Savage 111 trophy hunter. Comes w 3-9 Nikon scope. At bimart for $424 and I think there's a savage $75 rebate this week $350 for a new rifle is great.

We got a 260 and shot it today. Sub minute of angle. Out of the box
Right, this is a lower model than i'm looking for, it's that price with a scope, which is good value, but don't want/need a scope, you can normally take off ~$100 for the combo scope kits.

I've been looking for a 308 rifle for some time now. Rifles I've compared: Remington 700, T/C Venture, Winchester Model 70, Howa 1500, Weatherby Vanguard 2, Ruger American. I really liked the Model 70 if I get a wood gun and the Weatherby if i get a synthetic. Many synthetic stocks feel like crap but I just held a Weatherby today and it was nice. I think they come with a sub MOA guarantee as well.

Yeah, the model 70 is nice, the XPR is supposed to be the modern version.

Liking the look of the Mossberg in wood actually, it's kind of back down to the entry level prices again, but it looks well and reports are that it shoots well and feels solid.... this is getting annoying now :(

Buy the Savage 111 which the only part that is lower end is the junk scope and the stock. Sell the scope for $40.00 or save it for a .22 then Order a NICE Walnut or laminated stock that will fit your wife properly from Boyds for about $125.00 and you will have a very nice sub MOA rifle for less then $500.

Interesting possibility, though maybe for another time, i wasn't looking to make this one into a project.

And as the end game appears to be a hunting rifle, I'm still voting for a Ruger American or a Savage with synthetic stock due to lighter weight and easier carry for those long days in the woods. They all shoot, frankly. And for hunting, they all do quite well accuracy-wise.

Right, this is a lower model than i'm looking for, it's that price with a scope, which is good value, but don't want/need a scope, you can normally take off ~$100 for the combo scope kits.
Yeah. Actually it's not a low end model. It is the regular base model savage. With a low end scope thrown in. You should get 1/2-1 MOA out of the box. Generally out shoots most all the R700s these days. However it is a hunter profile barrel and not a bull barrel. Seriously you aren't going to get better just different.

So, end game for this rifle? My wife shoots 'stuff' with it when she occasionally goes shooting, no hunting or serious work for it. I wanted her to have something a little nicer than her Rem 783, so we're talking looks and finish here, as all these lower priced rifles are pretty accurate.

So, end game for this rifle? My wife shoots 'stuff' with it when she occasionally goes shooting, no hunting or serious work for it. I wanted her to have something a little nicer than her Rem 783, so we're talking looks and finish here, as all these lower priced rifles are pretty accurate.

Gotcha. So for under $500 and nice looks/finish I might wait a little bit and spend a bit more. YMMV. At sub $500, you'll more than likely get function over form. ;)

Really didn't want to go much higher, but if there is something close and has the good looks with slick function, and she likes it.....

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top