JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which 30.06 would you choose?

• Browning AB3 Hunter (Walnut)

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Winchester XPR

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Thompson Center Venture

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I guess she likes the recoil, she likes her Rem 700 in 270win and the 12ga.

I'd love to get the tikka for her as it's a nice looking gun and the finish is very good on it, was about to click the buy button but thought i'd confirm the model numbers.
That's when i found out that they're the 'discontinued' models according to Sako.

If the Savage is a bit more than the 500 mark, i think it'd probably choose the Tikka for very similar money.

The Howa and the Weatherby Vanguard are the same gun.
I think the Winchester XPR and the Browning A-Bolt 3 are the same gun too!
The T/C sucks in my personal experience.
The Tikka T3 is one of the best value rifles on the market today, I now have 3 of them.;)

If it is a good deal on the older model T-3, get it, she wont be disappointed.

Howa looked interesting....

Still trying to choose the Tikka though.

Yes, Browning own Winchester in some way, so they are essentially the same gun with different 'carving'.

@Greenbug Which ones do you have? Do you know the difference between the older models and the new ones?

I'm going to go off the reservation with this suggestion. You have been discussing bolt actions. I can't express an opinion about bolt-actions; I have a Remington 760, a slide-action, in 30-06. You said your wife likes a lighter rifle, even with the full-length cartridge. This rifle is light, and boy, you really know it when you touch one off. It is essential to keep your back vertical shooting off the bench, because if you lean into it at all, it's painful. If you reload and got one of these, I'd strongly recommend starting with lighter loads. It seems to group well with surplus ammo (BTW surplus ammo does not function well in the magazine), but I've only been shooting it for a few months and am mainly looking for a good reload with 165s. The third good point of this rifle is, the trigger is fairly crisp and is light.
Beg pardon if this is too far off topic.:)

Not at all, i like all suggestions, though i'd have to go back to find where i said she liked lighter rifles? Not sure that's a thing, however, i *thought* i'd mentioned it was to be a bolt gun though.

Right now, i think i'm settled (mostly) on a Tikka, however, having discovered at the 11th hour that there is an old one and a new one, i'm desperately trying to find out the difference and whether the old ones are still lauded after and worth getting.

Howa looked interesting....

Still trying to choose the Tikka though.

Yes, Browning own Winchester in some way, so they are essentially the same gun with different 'carving'.

@Greenbug Which ones do you have? Do you know the difference between the older models and the new ones?

I have 2 of the older model T-3 lite's, one in 223 and one in 243 and one of the newer T3X's with the laminate stock in 30-06. All are sub 1/2" shooters.

The newer T3X does not come with rings, has a bunch more (fairly useless) holes drilled in the top of receiver for different mounting options. It also touts a modular grip and fore end that can be changed to different configurations (at additional cost of course), again fairly useless in my opinion.

As far as the basic action, magazine, bolt etc... they are pretty much identical except that the T3X has a metal bolt shroud (albeit pot metal) which some people like better than the plastic bolt shroud on the original T3. Not really worth the extra $150 or so price tag for the T3X. If you can get a good deal on the older model, go for it. Both models have excellent accuracy, so I am of the mind that you shouldn't have to pay more for the new one when the "upgrades" are not all that important or valuable.

If you get her the T3 Lite with the synthetic stock, be prepared for it to bark a little bit in 30-06. I went with the laminate stock in my 30-06 to bring the weight up a little bit and hold the recoil at bay. If it is mainly for a plinker and not a big game hunter why not get something cheaper to shoot and easier on the shoulder? Maybe a 223?

I have 2 of the older model T-3 lite's, one in 223 and one in 243 and one of the newer T3X's with the laminate stock in 30-06. All are sub 1/2" shooters.

The newer T3X does not come with rings, has a bunch more (fairly useless) holes drilled in the top of receiver for different mounting options. It also touts a modular grip and fore end that can be changed to different configurations (at additional cost of course), again fairly useless in my opinion.

As far as the basic action, magazine, bolt etc... they are pretty much identical except that the T3X has a metal bolt shroud (albeit pot metal) which some people like better than the plastic bolt shroud on the original T3. Not really worth the extra $150 or so price tag for the T3X. If you can get a good deal on the older model, go for it. Both models have excellent accuracy, so I am of the mind that you shouldn't have to pay more for the new one when the "upgrades" are not all that important or valuable.

If you get her the T3 Lite with the synthetic stock, be prepared for it to bark a little bit in 30-06. I went with the laminate stock in my 30-06 to bring the weight up a little bit and hold the recoil at bay. If it is mainly for a plinker and not a big game hunter why not get something cheaper to shoot and easier on the shoulder? Maybe a 223?
Thank you so much for that answer, i really appreciate the comparisons.

This is to be a plinker, though should i ever decide to go hunt, i'd take this.

I see what you're saying about the weight and kick, i don't think it will be a problem per sé, but worth thinking about, how's the butt pad? I could get a limbsaver for it if the stock one isn't too great.

Final thoughts, any of yours a stainless version? I like the look of the wood, and i would probably choose that for myself, and although my wife doesn't mind wood at all, she just confirmed she prefers the synthetic over that.
She does like Stainless over blued, her Rem700 is blasted stainless, but the difference between blued and stainless is much smaller than her preference between wood and synthetic.

The but pad on them is pretty good, but you can get a Limbsaver that bolts right up for $35 or so.
All three of mine are stainless...... sooooooooo I kinda like stainless too!

One thing we did to my Wife's Tikka and My SAKO Finlight was to Fill the stock up with epoxy and wood sanding dust, it deadens the stock and takes some of the recoil out! For hers in .243, kick wasn't really an issue, but we installed a carve to fit Remington Recoil pad none the less, and it's a real pussy cat to shoot! Mine is in .300 win and it kicks pretty good, but with the filled stock it's not quite so bad. Both rifles only gained about 7 oz. and was well worth it! BTW, Tikka has it's own performance shop here in the states ( Texas?) and they have all the upgrades available including a nice matching bolt shroud if that's your game!

Nice, thanks for the info :)

Just picking where to get it now, looks like Buds will be the place, seriously considering the extra $70 for stainless..... vote is still out on that one....

Sadly, as sweet as that stainless looks, i can't justify the extra over blued right now, alright, putting the order in :cool:

Yea!!! I ordered the Older Super Varmint in .30/06 yesterday morning! Trading in my Finlight. My Gun Junky supply house found me one in the Beretta USA Warehouse for a close out price! It was still pretty steep, but so worth it in the end!
tikka_t3_tac%5B1%5D.png

All the reviews on this Rifle ( All Tikka's) were pretty steller! This is going to be my Be All, End All heavy mountain rifle to replace several others I no longer use! To be quite honest, For me and my needs, the .300 win just never fit in, ether too big and powerful, or too small, and not enough power! Good choice on the Tikka, I know you will love it:):):)

Oops. Found Sportsmans Guide selling the stainless for exactly $100 more.......

Oh well, now to contact my FFL :D

And, the idiots emailed me saying it's not stocked or in stock anymore..... cancelled my order.

Go to page, it's still there showing for sale.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top