JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which 30.06 would you choose?

• Browning AB3 Hunter (Walnut)

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Winchester XPR

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Thompson Center Venture

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thinking this through, and using this thread etc. really helps.

Really, she still only needs an entry level rifle; but she has one. Fit and finish on them is appropriate (whatever that means) so hence why i wanted to look at a few hundred dollars more.

You're still looking at entry level for this price, but the fit and finish should be of higher quality.

option D: Savage 111 trophy hunter xp from Bi-Mart.
I'm just looking at that, i really don't want/need the scope, but i'm also trying to work out what that rifle is without it.

According to Savage's site, that rifle without a scope is basically twice the price....

buy the package from bimart and sell the nikon scope off of it. ive recommended this rifle package to 3 people. they all love it and the scope. i have this rifle package in .308 win with the nikon. its very very accurate and does everything i need it to do for deer hunting. the BDC reticle really works too.

what I would do is scan gunbroker and take a look at what they have in 30.06. you might find a nice gem there, like a cheap mark V, Sako or even a sporter 03 Springer.

Plus you can show you wife all of them and she can pick the prettiest one of the lot ;)

Yeah, shes now sick of it all so i have the idea of ehat she does and does not like, ill have to work wirh that.

Anyone got input on thise Tikka links?

Howa 1500. If you're willing to go just a tad over budget, Brownells has the 30-06 Howa 1500 barreled action on sale in gray cerakote for $400 w/free shipping, a custom stock from Boyds will run $129. It takes Rem700 2-piece scope mounts. She'll have a really nice custom rifle for a stock price.

I just built one using the short action in .308 with the threaded bull barrel (a little more $$ -not on sale). It's a beautiful rifle and a real tack driver.

John

I've used an old school M77 original model for years (ok, decades). Love it. It's been my go-to almost as long as I've been hunting.

Not quite sure what your looking for, You say you are upgrading her .30/06 or you are upgrading into .30/06??? I would look at Used first ( from here on NWFA, or a trusted shop) and try to find a nice Ruger M77 or a SAKO or Spend a bit more and go NEW TIKKA! There are others as well, just depends on your wants and needs!

I think that whilst tempted with the Howa 1500, i'm swaying strongly to ordering the T3x tonight, the build would be cool, but i'm not sure i want to bother with this one, this time, too much other stuff going on, i dunno, we'll see.

I know this isn't what you asked but having bought a lot of different guns for my wife that have moved on due to lack of use and interest here's my .02 worth. First is she full grown man sized? If not a Youth model might be a better choice for her. Next let her shoulder a few guns to see what fits her and so she has a vested interest in her new rifle. Lastly back to the rifles in question. The Tikka has the smoothest bolt of them all, The Savage Accumark trigger is really good. I've got a Browning A Bolt that I've had for a few years and it's a shooter for sure, I'm not a fan of the new Brownings latest guns finish, high gloss polish belongs on cars and motorcycles not guns.

If she's going for "looks", it sounds like wood. giggity lol.
I'd go to a good gun store and look for a used rifle that she fancies. Very often one can find a superb stock on a good rifle at a very reasonable price.
There's nothing more plain nor standard than a bolt action rifle with no sights.. save for a stock that sets it apart.

So, she's "American Woman" sized, but it doesn't really matter, she already has a 12ga and Rem 700, she's good.

I really like the idea of the Tikka, and i've just this moment discovered something new, and explains the cheaper price i'm seeing.

The ~$520 price is for the older models, Tikka's site and matching up the model numbers, the new ones are another $150 or so.

Basically, one i'm looking at is a T3, the T3x is the current one and up in the 600's again.

If she's going for "looks", it sounds like wood. giggity lol.
I'd go to a good gun store and look for a used rifle that she fancies. Very often one can find a superb stock on a good rifle at a very reasonable price.
There's nothing more plain nor standard than a bolt action rifle with no sights.. save for a stock that sets it apart.
Yeah i thought that too, but she sees things in items that i do not. She preferred the look of the Winchester synthetic over the Browning wood.

If it's not for hunting is there a reason your going with a 30-06? Seems like a lot of rifle for just target shooting.
If I'm going to punch paper it's not going to be a rifle that kicks like a mule.

But then again your wife is probably tougher than I am.

She wanted the calibre before anything else, to this day, i'm still not too sure why, but i'm happy to supply it for her :)

She wanted the calibre before anything else, to this day, i'm still not too sure why, but i'm happy to supply it for her :)
Well, they make that fancy low-recoil ammo nowadays, but yes, 30.06 is a surprise. Just to muddy the waters a little bit, I see only (1) mention of Mossberg. They really put out a nice bolt for the price. I have one with their adjustable trigger that shoots the lights out. :D Look at the Patriot series and the MVP. They come in all different configurations/stocks. Thumbholes too. All good advice on this thread though. I would lean towards Savage for second place as it is used by so many of the long range accuracy shooters and has a great reputation, but they cost a bit more than the $500 mark I think (without looking).

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top