JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which 30.06 would you choose?

• Browning AB3 Hunter (Walnut)

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Winchester XPR

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Thompson Center Venture

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So, i still can't decide on my next firearm, but in the meantime, i'm upgrading my Wife's 30.06 bolt gun, not looking to spend much more than $500, preferably less, and i already have a scope.

Basically, unless someone has a deal ready to go, i'm buying new, it's looking like the Ruger American right now, but i figured i'd put the word out and see if that's the best gun in this segment?

Thanks.

Footnote: she already has a Rem 700, so probably looking at anything else.

Winchester XPR? I think what i'm looking at is basically the next step up from the entry level rifles from each brand.

thompson/center arms are nice and are usually like 470. Nw armory has them and so does dicks and Cabela's. But also a savage in your price range would be nice.

Not quite sure what your looking for, You say you are upgrading her .30/06 or you are upgrading into .30/06??? I would look at Used first ( from here on NWFA, or a trusted shop) and try to find a nice Ruger M77 or a SAKO or Spend a bit more and go NEW TIKKA! There are others as well, just depends on your wants and needs!

She has a Remington 783 in 30.06 right now, but i'm going to sell that, it's brand new, never fired, i still haven't taken the Remington tag off the barrel yet.

So, that's an entry level rifle, i want the next level up, which seems to be in the price range i indicated, the Tikka's look nice, but it's definitely more than i want to spend on this for a rifle that will only occasionally get used. Sounds like the Thompson Center needs a look.

On the list of "step up from entry level" appears to be:

Weatherby Vanguard
Thompson Center
Winchester XPR

I love that despite just staring at Cabela's site for a while, using their filter on 30.06, that this didn't even show up! :(

Alright, so the list is now:

Weatherby Vanguard
Thompson Center
Winchester XPR
Browning AB3

Any votes?

Some things in mind for $500 you can get a pretty nice bolt action rifle You may even want to look into the 7400 line of semi auto remington they offer that in a carbine as well . The 7400 will have a lot less recoil than that a bolt action in 30.06 they are fairly light for a semi auto also. You should be able to pick one up for less than $500

Some of those cheaper remingtons with the syn stock are mule kickers. I am not sure but I think that one you have if its the $299 special with a scope I zeroed one and felt like it kicked harder than my uncles .300 weatherby mag. It got to where I hated to pull the trigger on it.

The mentioned ruger is nice but the trigger pull at least on my friends is horrible. I am sure they vary so you might be able to find one with a good trigger. He got the stainless with gray laminate stock it is a beautiful rifle.

The most accruate 30.06 I ever shot was the winchester M670 which is budget model m70 same rifle without the Purdy added to it. It kicked way less than the budget remington that belongs to my bro in law.

The second most accurate 30.06 was a Howa. It shot great too and pretty affordable I believe they are a division of weatherby.

These are a fairly new product and can be found for as little as $239.99.

Mossberg Patriot Bolt-Action Rifle Review - GunsAmerica Digest
https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/mossberg-patriot-bolt-action-rifle-review/
I own a Ruger M77 stainless with synthetic stock. In .308 it has a shorter action and is lightweight when that became important to me. I had to polish the trigger to get it the way I wanted since trigger action is the most important to me. But I sure don't like it as well as the several Remington 700 BDL rifles that I have owned.

Looks like it's probably between the Browning Hunter (Walnut stock) and the Vangaurd synthetic and that XPR....

All around the same price, let me take the headline specs for each.

Weatherby Vangaurd (Select/Synthetic)
Accurate 24", #2 contoured barrel
Cold hammer forged barrel
Monte Carlo Griptonite stock with recoil pad
Match-quality two-stage trigger
Matte bead blasted blued finish.
(5 round, floor plate)
7.75 lbs

Browning AB3 Hunter
Hand-reamed chamber and triple-checked barrel (22")
Satin-finish walnut stock with cut checkering
Crisp 3.5-lb. trigger pull
Fast, smooth 60° bolt action, nickel-plated bolt body
Bolt-unlock button
Easy-access safety
(4 round magazine)
7.15 lbs

Winchester XPR
Button-rifled, free-floating chromoly steel barrel (24")
Smooth Nickel-Teflon-coated bolt
Polymer stock with textured panels
M.O.A. trigger system
Detachable box magazine (3 round)
7 lbs

I haven't shot it so take this for what it's worth. I went back and forth between the Weatherby and my Tikka for a long time before I bought My Tikka. Bolt and trigger did it for me. That being said, I had a hard time not choosing the vanguard. It just felt great and a lot less "cold" than the Tikka's boring stock.

It's funny, of the 3 i named above, the Vanguard (which i held in BiMart) is the ugliest stock to me :(

I will say, that although the Tikka looks really nice, it's just too expensive for this go round, it won't see much use and i want the money i'm saving on this, for my next gun, which i still haven't chosen yet :(

To each their own I guess! I havent actually held the other two so my chiming in was probably unnecessary lol:D

Not at all, whilst i may not react or make mention of all comments, i take them all into account, thank you.

I like the howa 1500/weatherby vanguard series. Honestly, I think if they said made in the USA, they'd sell much better.

The receiver has the same contour as a Rem 700, so bases are easy to find. The recoil lug is integral to the action, which I like. The extractor is a bit more substantial than the Remington.

If I didn't build most of my stuff off old actions, that is what I prefer. My .300 weatherby elk rifle is built off a blueprinted Howa 1500 action.

I don't know the going prices, but I think they are a solid rifle.

Browning
browning.jpg

Winchester
Winchester WPR - 535700226.jpg

Weatherby
van_s2_syn.jpg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show