JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like Benchmade knives too. Axis lock is my preferred lock. I have 5 or 6 Benchmade knives and love them all, enjoy the lifetime Sharpening service etc.

But I have soured on the brand a lot since the gun destruction saga, was very put off by the CEOs non-apology.

That said, they have a business to run and sometimes that requires people to hold their nose when they do some things. Some things are forgivable. I.e. if donations are made for business reasons..

However if a company is donating to radical leftists because the owners are ideologues, they won't see another dime from me.

I can forgive donations to Joe Biden before he took office. Couldn't forgive donations after he took office.
I haven't bought a BM product since the whole gun destruction thing either. It just doesn't sit well with me. Lots of companies donate money to political parties. I don't get too far in the weeds with that because of how common it is. But loaning their tools to chop up firearms is a no-go for me. My next blade will be another Spyderco.

Maybe someone can enlighten me here, because I'm not seeing how loaning tools to the police for the lawful destruction of firearms, which the police were legally obligated to do, is "anti-2A"

Which part of the above constitutes infringement on the people'a right to keep and bear arms? Any takers?

Maybe someone can enlighten me here, because I'm not seeing how loaning tools to the police for the lawful destruction of firearms, which the police were legally obligated to do, is "anti-2A"

Which part of the above constitutes infringement on the people'a right to keep and bear arms? Any takers?
Technically it was not lawful as the Oregon City Police Department was supposed to by written policy sell the firearms. Also Benchmade didn't just loan the equipment they performed the destruction of the firearms. In one of the photographs distributed by the PD before they realized the stepped in cowchit (LOTS of adverse public reaction) one of the rifles had it's barrel cut off temporarily creating an SBR without a tax stamp.

Oopsie...

A pro 2A company would have told the PD to pound sand. Benchmade instead took their money.

Well this is a hard pill to swallow because they are my favorite knife company and I own a few including my current EDC. I heard about the police debacle and thought it was just helping them but the political donations are a clincher.

So then a tip in this thread led me to Chris Reeve knives and damn if I dont have a new whishlist but wow the price is way more than I ever figured Id need in a quality knife. Its expensive hanging out with you guys.... :p

Technically it was not lawful as the Oregon City Police Department was supposed to by written policy sell the firearms. Also Benchmade didn't just loan the equipment they performed the destruction of the firearms. In one of the photographs distributed by the PD before they realized the stepped in cowchit (LOTS of adverse public reaction) one of the rifles had it's barrel cut off temporarily creating an SBR without a tax stamp.

Oopsie...

A pro 2A company would have told the PD to pound sand. Benchmade instead took their money.
Hmm, that's contradictory to the article posted earlier - where are you getting that information?

Just a thought...let's pump the brakes on the train a moment.
The search filter was for Benchmade Knife Company, so whether they are owners or employees they apparently made the donation in behalf of the company. In any event, here is the link to the tracking website (opensecrets.org) so you can see where it was derived and do your own searches to get more specifics: https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/benchmade-knife-co/recipients?id=D000047693&t2-View=Democrat
Note part in red...on "behalf" of the company. Where EXACTALY does is say this on their website? The only thing I can find on THEIR WEBSITE states contributions came from, "'From Individuals' Column: Contributions from members, employees or owners of the organization, and those individuals' immediate family members."

The chart shows $0 came from the organization and $2,025 came from individuals...which could be "immediate family members of employees (you list your employer when you make political donations.) Over HALF of the donations were for....$2. I feel like we have just spent three pages disparaging a company possibly based on donations made by employees and their family members (WHO LIVE NEAR PORTLAND) for donations totaling the cost of about four Infidel knives. Let's use data sources wisely kids.

I've used their website (opensources) before just to get a feel mostly for how employees lean. In the last cycle $25 was given to each Biden and Trump, so likely two individuals made two separate donations. They paid $120k for lobbying, as they have for several years. Typical for a company this size. I've got my eyes on new Benchmade and I'm not going to worry over this to avoid giving the heirs of Les de Asis my cash.

Speaking only for myself here...

Its the destruction of the firearms that I don't like.
Destroying a firearm , even one used in a crime...will not stop crime from happening.

It would seem better to me , if the firearms were sold off and the money from the sales went into some sort of :
"Outreach" or "teach 'em not to commit crimes" program...
Or some sort of victim's compensation / help fund....
Perhaps the money could be put into funding for wounded officers....

As for the Benchmade knives themselves...
They are a fine knife..and a quality build.
I don't own any , just 'cause they don't make a knife in a style that I like.
Andy

Last Edited:
Hmm, that's contradictory to the article posted earlier - where are you getting that information?
The article is incorrect. The statement in that article from OC was initially posted on their Facebook page and shared with local FB groups. It caused a bit of a minor explosion and this is where it was pointed out citing reference that the City had a policy to auction them off along with other items and had done so in the past.

The article is incorrect. The statement in that article from OC was initially posted on their Facebook page and shared with local FB groups. It caused a bit of a minor explosion and this is where it was pointed out citing reference that the City had a policy to auction them off along with other items and had done so in the past.
This is how I remember the initial flap.
And I don't even live in Oregon. It was well publicized by the 2a grapevine, and I wouldn't be surprised if most of that has been "sanitized " by internet policia.

This is how I remember the initial flap.
And I don't even live in Oregon. It was well publicized by the 2a grapevine, and I wouldn't be surprised if most of that has been "sanitized " by internet policia.
I wish I had bookmarked a couple of articles at the time, but I was more involved the direct interaction at least until the City stopped responding. They kind of forgot that OC is full of a lot of people like myself who are lifelong residents and many have long memories.

Just a thought...let's pump the brakes on the train a moment.

Note part in red...on "behalf" of the company. Where EXACTALY does is say this on their website? The only thing I can find on THEIR WEBSITE states contributions came from, "'From Individuals' Column: Contributions from members, employees or owners of the organization, and those individuals' immediate family members."

The chart shows $0 came from the organization and $2,025 came from individuals...which could be "immediate family members of employees (you list your employer when you make political donations.) Over HALF of the donations were for....$2. I feel like we have just spent three pages disparaging a company possibly based on donations made by employees and their family members (WHO LIVE NEAR PORTLAND) for donations totaling the cost of about four Infidel knives. Let's use data sources wisely kids.

I've used their website (opensources) before just to get a feel mostly for how employees lean. In the last cycle $25 was given to each Biden and Trump, so likely two individuals made two separate donations. They paid $120k for lobbying, as they have for several years. Typical for a company this size. I've got my eyes on new Benchmade and I'm not going to worry over this to avoid giving the heirs of Les de Asis my cash.
The benchmade marketing director in the Lars Larsen interview said the company gives to democrats. That info is first person directly from the company, not a 3rd party website.

Also they stopped their program of destroying guns only after customers found out about it via OCP posting pictures of guns being destroyed at benchmade factory on Facebook. If customers hadn't found out it wouldn't hurt their bottom line and they would still be doing it. A couple pics of benchmade destroying guns from the OCP Facebook post:
56CE6C20-7CE1-4F7C-A9BF-5DB7F4475293.jpeg
FA3B642B-6661-4102-B917-0D9023246B17.jpeg

Last Edited:
The benchmade marketing director in the Lars Larsen interview said the company gives to democrats. That info is first person directly from the company, not a 3rd party website.

Also they stopped their program of destroying guns only after customers found out about it via OCP posting pictures of guns being destroyed at benchmade factory on Facebook. If customers hadn't found out it wouldn't hurt their bottom line and they would still be doing it.
At the time Benchmade was across from the large parking lot wher the OCPD building so they were pretty handy. They have since moved a few times and are now located about a mile and a half away at the site of my former grade school on Linn Ave.

I wouldn't be shocked to find that it was still happening discretely.

Too bad Benchmade hasn't made the connection that after guns are effectively banned and regulated that knives are next.

At the time Benchmade was across from the large parking lot wher the OCPD building so they were pretty handy. They have since moved a few times and are now located about a mile and a half away at the site of my former grade school on Linn Ave.

I wouldn't be shocked to find that it was still happening discretely.

Too bad Benchmade hasn't made the connection that after guns are effectively banned and regulated that knives are next.
What I wonder is when asked initially to start the program of destroying guns, why didn't benchmade just tell OCP to spend $30 and buy an angle grinder?

I'm no spyderco fanboy (just recently got my first one) but I am a fanboy of their sharpener after finally figuring out how to use it correctly. Interesting story to the company and one of the few companies where you can actually talk to the owner on their forum which is pretty rare.

Owner responding to a customer's sharpening question.
89AB8CD2-B45C-46AE-850E-BCFDE6C64E61.png

Benchmade's locking system is the deal maker for me. If someone can suggest a similar or better one, I'm happy to switch teams on my next purchase.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top