JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Had one that I would say is medium nothing long though since I was in my 40's awhile back nothing huge, the misses likes the rugged look so I stay with it even in summer when sometimes its hot. But Its great when riding works as a bug sweeper LOL.

I usually stop shaving in late August and go back to just a goatee after elk season in November. Last year I decided to let it go and made it to the 9 month mark. It's amazing how long a beard will get in that short of time. Someday I will let it go for a year :D

This is exactly what I've done for the last 15-20 years. (there was a time I didn't hunt, but that changed when I met my wife) I usually stop shaving about Labor Day, except I trim the neck. The neck beard drives me nutz and itches like crazy.

Thirty years ago the beard was my normal style, but I switched to a goatee and for the most part, have kept it that way unless I'm prepping to go hunting.

Trim the neck? How would I get any length from my beard?
My goat tee stays about the same length,just curls more. I braid it once in a while , then you can see how long it is

This is how long it is now, I dont plan on shaving it till Hunting season is over in the spring.

***Warning! May be NSFW.

image.jpg

I've never done it for hunting.... but I've just never been that into hunting. But I do grow a "professional's" beard starting sometime in November and ending on Good Friday. I don't have a regular start time (and it seems to happen earlier and earlier every year), but I figure shaving as a gesture of lament for the death of our Lord seems appropriate. Then I'm clean shaven through the rest of spring and summer.

For those who think they can't grow a beard - I, too, thought I couldn't grow a beard for years. I really only just started my current tradition in my 30s.. all few previous attempts had resulted in what I refer to as "pube face".... that horrible thin, scraggly, bummy look you see dudes walking around with. I'm not sure how exactly I figured it out, but once I realized the thing has to be GROOMED to look good, I instantaneously could grow a really nice pro-beard.

First rule is you gotta edge that mother. Hair tendrilling down your neck with no clearly defined edge between beard and not-beard looks bad. Sorry bru.

Second rule is you gotta let that mother fill in, and that does not mean you just let it grow and grow and get all shaggy thinking longer = fuller.... totally wrong. Longer unfilled-in bear just looks like a face full of pubes. No, sir - you gotta TRIM it regularly. See, your hair doesn't actually all grow at the same time or at the same rate - a lot of your hair follicles are in transition at the moment you decide to stop shaving, and aren't going to immediately start sprouting you rich luxurious beard. Others grow slow. So it takes time for all those other follicles to catch up and fill in your face. In the mean time, keep your beard trimmer on like 3mm max, to avoid pube-face. It'll actually look FULLER every time you trim it up. Believe me, man... it's the key to the whole thing. Take away to gain. Weird but true.

The last time my chin saw the light of day was when I had to keep it clean shaven for employment purposes. I'd probably keep a full beard year round but that would put a dent in my other hobby - straight razors. At least with a straight razor you can shave full beard growth down without clogging up the blade ;)

As for me, I don't hunt, but I did sport a full beard for several years. I finally got tired of it and trimmed back to a goatee that I've kept for a long time. It's my preferred facial manscaping. And as sexy as this face is, I don't want to mess with perfection ;) :D

I know its not a beard story but I once told all the guys in our elk camp it was mustache man camp and not to show up without a real mustache. Most of them are pretty boy city slickers so I didn't think it would work but we got one guy to fall for it. He showed up rolled into camp got out of his truck and every one of us fell to the floor laughing.....

Not seasonal for me. Hunting or not, if Uncle Sam isn't paying me to scrape my chin and upper lip with a blade, it's not happening. Mostly a goatee for decades now, kept neatly under control with a $6 Harbor Freight clipper and the short #2 guard. I do shave my jaws and neck a few times a week to keep everything intentional (and avoid looking like a gray scrotum).

Did the neck shave standing at the sink in a condo on vacation last month and hated it. Probably yanked out more than I actually cut.

Much better at home in a hot shower with a tiny unbreakable mirror stuck to the wall - no comparison. Guys, if you haven't tried a shave in the shower, spend a few bucks on the cheapest mirror you can find. After it fogs up, spit a mouthful of water on it. Totally comfortable, clean and quick.

------- EDIT:
Here's one for $10 (and it explains why a shower shave feels so much better).
http://www.drugstore.com/products/p...ID=120142990000065067&CAGPSPN=pla&kpid=393414

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads