JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
How many of you grow beards out during hunting season?

Any traditions?

I mean yall that do not normally sport the manly facial bush regularly:p.

I tried starting mine last year on Sept 1st and said I would keep it till I killed and ate something but the season came and went without filling a tag so I gave up the ship and shaved it back down to manageable. Im going to try the same thing this year.

My first beard was in college after finishing my AFROTC senior classes and waiting to get commissioned after one more semester. I walk into the ROTC student lounge and the Commandant of Cadets, a Light Colonel who was a F111 Weapons System Officer said look, here comes Jesus.....shaved it when my brother commissioned me in a few months. Then grew one elk hunting in the 1990s. Liked it, kept the middle of the face one for years. Went back to neatly trimmed full beard in 2012. Lots of gray now but I lke to think of it as urban camo.

One of thes days my job will allow me to go hunting again but not his fall.:mad:
Brutus Out

Yeah, back when I was a young guy. Then it evolved into "Shave?" "What a pain in the pooper!" This is opposed to, "Oh boy!" "I'm going to grow a big, bushy one this year!"
Actually, the same result!:D

Except for my 3 year Army enlistment and 1 year in Army NG I have only shaved twice in 35 years.
I am a mountain man at heart that should have been born a hundred years ago. I keep my man beard trimmed nice during the summer & stop trimming in August so I get that look (like Ducks Dynasty portrays) during duck & goose season then in the spring I come back to reality...... then it's time for chasing Spring Salmon!!!!

Some guys are just not suited for the man beard.:eek:

There's a name for people without facial hair, they're called women and children...
Since I got out of the Navy I've had some kind of manscape and always will.:s0120:

I was stuck with minimal to no hair for almost 20 years. Then my wife changed her mind and asked me to grow it out some because I was at 5 oclock shadow by noon.

Now Im just trimming the neck and let the rest grow until she mentions I'm looking like a Thugabilly and then I'll run the clippers over it to shorten it back down.

Come hunting seaason and the rain and cold and I've come to enjoy a fuller beard.

(Tried for years to grow one out, before my wifes change of heart, but always found it too itchy. Now that I've had one for awhile, thay ichyness doesn't seem to happen anymore).

I usually stop shaving in late August and go back to just a goatee after elk season in November. Last year I decided to let it go and made it to the 9 month mark. It's amazing how long a beard will get in that short of time. Someday I will let it go for a year :D

I usually stop shaving in late August and go back to just a goatee after elk season in November. Last year I decided to let it go and made it to the 9 month mark. It's amazing how long a beard will get in that short of time. Someday I will let it go for a year :D

Summer is always when I want shorter beard so that will keep me from getting more then 9 months in. Maybe some day I'll try it:rolleyes:

My wife wouldn't quit giving me heck about the beard and while I love having it and not shaving my wife said it was like kissing a dogs butt. She didn't appreciate it when I asked how she knew. I love hunting with a beard but being a service person owning a pest control company I suppose I am better showing up to do a job without the beard. Still the beard goes with hunting like ham and eggs.

I was stuck with minimal to no hair for almost 20 years. Then my wife changed her mind and asked me to grow it out some because I was at 5 oclock shadow by noon.

Now Im just trimming the neck and let the rest grow until she mentions I'm looking like a Thugabilly and then I'll run the clippers over it to shorten it back down.

Come hunting seaason and the rain and cold and I've come to enjoy a fuller beard.

(Tried for years to grow one out, before my wifes change of heart, but always found it too itchy. Now that I've had one for awhile, thay ichyness doesn't seem to happen anymore).

Surprising how things change when ma ma gives permission. :s0112:

I've always hated shaving. Get the little red bumps and my face feels like it's on fire. So i always just trimmed it.
I grow a beard out for a couple months usually the. Shave it down to nothing. Then grow it out again. I've had one now for about 5 months. But i keep below the chin trimmed off.

My face looks to stupid not to hide part of it.

Well my father would quit shaving and the next day have a nice beard.Blacker than coal.
I don't know what happened to me but I started last month so I have a beard to shave off next spring,lol.
I have had a goat tee since the late 90's before everyone started wearing them but the rest of the face takes some time

My wife wouldn't quit giving me heck about the beard and while I love having it and not shaving my wife said it was like kissing a dogs butt. She didn't appreciate it when I asked how she knew. I love hunting with a beard but being a service person owning a pest control company I suppose I am better showing up to do a job without the beard. Still the beard goes with hunting like ham and eggs.

That's funny, you made my day sir, thanks.

A white beard wouldn't do me much good unless the hunt is occurring in a stand of 20 Y/O reprod (matches the white blotches on the bark).

i wish i could sport the rugged look with a little stubble and maintain with clippers but the company frown on it. they like us to look like 12 year olds with no facial hair.
i'll generally have a goatee except when we have meetings 2-3 times per year when i have to see the bigwigs. :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top