JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
BB/Pellet guns aren't considered firearms are they?

I have a little Daisey pump rifle ($35 walmart special) that shoots 625fps that I would like to shoot cans with in my back yard for fun and was wondering if that is legal. We used to do it growing up and never had an issue but in todays world you never know. anyone with info or experience on this issue please do chime in

thanks

I would check with your local law enforcement and or the city. My guess is it's not legal inside city limits. Outside city limits you're ok to shoot a firearm on your property.

It is not a violation of state law (which suprises me because I thought it was) but there might be something in the City of Salem code.

166.210 Definitions. As used in ORS 166.250 to 166.270, 166.291 to 166.295 and 166.410 to 166.470:

(3) "Firearm" means a weapon, by whatever name known, which is designed to expel a projectile by the action of powder.

166.220 Unlawful use of weapon. (1) A person commits the crime of unlawful use of a weapon if the person:

(b) Intentionally discharges a firearm, blowgun, bow and arrow, crossbow or explosive device within the city limits of any city or within residential areas within urban growth boundaries at or in the direction of any person, building, structure or vehicle within the range of the weapon without having legal authority for such discharge.

Found it: http://www.cityofsalem.net/Departments/Legal/Salem Revised Codes/Miscellaneous.pdf
95.020. Airguns; Discharge Prohibited. It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge any airgun within the city. (Ord No. 4824)

95.050. Bean Shooters and Slingshots. It shall be unlawful for any person to use any bean shooter, slingshot or any other contrivance used in shooting beans, stones, pebbles, or other substance or thing, in or upon any street, alley, or public place within the city. (Ord No. 4824)

Be careful, all it takes is one overzealous neighbor to call you in,, then the officers will be showing up to ask you questions..(happened to me years ago, )

I wonder what the current Bean Shooter death toll is by now... It's gotta be high in the rural areas if our masters haven't told us it's unsafe out there yet! ;-)

Found it: <broken link removed>
95.020. Airguns; Discharge Prohibited. It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge any airgun within the city. (Ord No. 4824)
Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of a BB/Pellet gun? If I had to go through the hassle of driving outside city limits to shoot I'm going to be shooting a real gun.
What about spring powered guns? If you have a daisy red ryder is that ok?

The city of Auburn Washington has an ordinance that states NO projectile of any kind shall be shot from anything within the city limits. That means a bb gun, pellet gun, blow gun, bow, crossbow, and even a slingshot. That also includes canons.......lol. (I had to throw that in).

Look at 95.160 which states if you have it in a range or shooting gallery and it does not leave the property you are good to go. Your backyard is a range isnt it? The slingshot section is only on streets, alleys and public property which means your property is OK.

Wonder if they patrol the middle schools for spit balls :rollseyes:

Near as I can tell there is no definition for 'airgun' in the city code; however, it did reference (Ord No. 4824) and I couldn't find that. There may be a further definition there. IMO all this means is the court would have to decide if your spring loaded rifle would qualify as an 'airgun'. My guess is no but do you really want to go to court for it?

If the officer is smart they would cite you for using a 'bean shooter' under the definition of: or any other contrivance used in shooting beans, stones, pebbles, or other substance or thing,

Look at 95.160 which states if you have it in a range or shooting gallery and it does not leave the property you are good to go. Your backyard is a range isnt it? The slingshot section is only on streets, alleys and public property which means your property is OK.

Except that it isn't a firearm by definition.

I was thinking about making a bb/pellet trap target. Shooting from my dining room through the kitchen and into the garage where the target will sit...lol. thats about 100ft or so... no1 could hear that so I might go that route instead of the backyard. Any shooting is better than watching tv. Do you think that would be legal shooting gallery?

My neighbors to the right are close friends, not sure about the left and my fence backs up to a couple acres of protected marsh land but if it is illegal I won't do it. Growing up in Eugene we used to walk a local orchard shooting birds and squirells all day... too bad for our kids generation. It's a sad world city living. I want to move to the country asap

Wonder if they patrol the middle schools for spit balls :rollseyes:

Near as I can tell there is no definition for 'airgun' in the city code; however, it did reference (Ord No. 4824) and I couldn't find that. There may be a further definition there. IMO all this means is the court would have to decide if your spring loaded rifle would qualify as an 'airgun'. My guess is no but do you really want to go to court for it?

If the officer is smart they would cite you for using a 'bean shooter' under the definition of: or any other contrivance used in shooting beans, stones, pebbles, or other substance or thing,

Soooo--They are air powered and shoot a "substance or thing"---supersoakers are forbidden in Salem?? How about plain old squirt-guns? Nerf guns? Squeeze bottles of mustard? My goodness--blowing the wrapper off of a drinking straw could land you in the slammer!

West Linn has a similar ordinance about air guns within the city. Doesn't stop my from shooting the occasional Starling and the rats that show up to steal dog food!

We also used to set up aluminum cans and use a cardboard box full of foam as a backstop so we could shoot in the garage during the winter.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top