JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wow, the schools really do suck in this country. Some people have poor reading comprehension.

I had said it was a sad attitude killing for "entertainment".

======================================================================================

What, your Dad never took you fishing or hunting and you feel you have to take it out on us.

I will agree the modern public school system, at least in OR does indeed suck.

Shooting wild game and some times vermin can be a heck of a good time, there is a long tradition of doing this in this country, and through out the world history.

I can see why some would be adverse to this on a personal level, but your tree hugging save the whales better then you attitude is just as abhorrent to me as my right to hunt an eliminate unwanted vermin is to you.

To each there own.

What, your Dad never took you fishing or hunting and you feel you have to take it out on us.

Again, for those who have repeated problems comprehending the written word: People mentioned killing for *entertainment*, not for food, or pest removal. My original post could not be clearer with respect to that.

All you can come back with are completely different arguments, equating my statement with killing for food, then making stupid comments about what my father may/may not have done with me. It's quite juvenile, and I'm done.

Again, for those who have repeated problems comprehending the written word: People mentioned killing for *entertainment*, not for food, or pest removal. My original post could not be clearer with respect to that.

All you can come back with are completely different arguments, equating my statement with killing for food, then making stupid comments about what my father may/may not have done with me. It's quite juvenile, and I'm done.

=======================================================================================

I never mentioned killing for food.

And I found your original post to say that it was wrong to kill for the fun of it, I disagree with that idea.

I shot all my pheasant ducks, rabbits, elk, etc, for fun, although I do enjoy eating most of it, it would be a lot cheaper just to go to the store and buy the meat. I do not delude myself that I am fishing/hunting because I need the food,

I have not changed the argument in the least, and I stand by what I have said, which is that I kill animals almost exclusively for entertainment.

I do however apologize for the reference to your father, it was juvenile of me. Sorry.

WTF just happened here guys? The OP asked the question about the legalities of plinking in his backyard with a BB gun. Look how this thread is going. It has turned into a father bashing,robin BBQing, vermin killing, ethical hunting thread. WTF? This thread makes me wonder if a lot of people on this site have a ton of bunched up anger and this is just an avenue to vent. I understand that everybody has an opinion. But to start bashing somebodies father because you don't agree with somebody elses opinion?????????????????? The left has had years to critisize the right and all this PC stuff is BS.

Cant we just all get along...

It does seem like personal stuff comes up in alot of threads that it shouldnt have. Goes back to what my grandma used to say. "if you don't have anything nice to say than you should say nothing at all"

Cant we just all get along...

It does seem like personal stuff comes up in alot of threads that it shouldnt have. Goes back to what my grandma used to say. "if you don't have anything nice to say than you should say nothing at all"

AMEN!!!! ....and she got that from THE ONE that wrote THE BOOK! ...and AMEN and AMEN

+1
That's what Mom always told me.

============================================================================

First time I heard that was from Thumper in the classic cartoon Bambi.

I was always under the assumption that these laws were on the books in order to do something about problematic people. If my kids are in the back yard shooting targets and whatnot, and generally causing no nuisance or harm, then there is no reason to enact the law. If they were shooting through the fence at the neighbors' cats or dogs, or are being irresponsible with regards to what is behind the target and breaking windows, etc, then the neighbors have an actual law to protect them from the nuisance or harm that my children are causing. ???

Generally speaking you are correct. That was probably the motivation behind the law; however, there is no stipulation that says 'as long as you don't annoy the neighbors'. The law simply states it is illegal. Roll the dice and take your chances.

One of the most eye opening moments in my reserve training was when the traffic officer came in and showed us a book. He said the first thing you may notice is this book is slightly thicker then the one you get from the DMV. If you follow a car for 5 blocks and can't find a reason to pull them over; it's not because they haven't done something wrong, it's because you haven't studied this book well enough.

We live in a society where we *claim* we don't want the cops to work on instinct or profiling (hense the need for probable cause, 4th & 5th ammendments) and yet some part of us knows that if something seems off it probably is; so we empower our police with 10,000 nit picky laws that nobody can possibly follow to give the officer PC to follow up on their instincts. It's a catch 22.

I was always under the assumption that these laws were on the books in order to do something about problematic people. If my kids are in the back yard shooting targets and whatnot, and generally causing no nuisance or harm, then there is no reason to enact the law. If they were shooting through the fence at the neighbors' cats or dogs, or are being irresponsible with regards to what is behind the target and breaking windows, etc, then the neighbors have an actual law to protect them from the nuisance or harm that my children are causing. ???

This is my thinking as well. A responsible adult shooting cans in a safe manner in his own back yard shoudn't get you fined anymore than Jwalking on a desolate road where the nearest crosswalk is 5 miles away.

So, are we to assume the bb/pellet gun shooter in the yard next door is responsible and accurate, and there will be no stray rounds, punctured pets or safety concerns? Who makes that determination?

(Sorry about the BBQ anecdote, I'll ask next time before I participate in a discussion here. Actually, that's BS. No I won't.)

One of the most eye opening moments in my reserve training was when the traffic officer came in and showed us a book. He said the first thing you may notice is this book is slightly thicker then the one you get from the DMV. If you follow a car for 5 blocks and can't find a reason to pull them over; it's not because they haven't done something wrong, it's because you haven't studied this book well enough.

We live in a society where we *claim* we don't want the cops to work on instinct or profiling (hense the need for probable cause, 4th & 5th ammendments) and yet some part of us knows that if something seems off it probably is; so we empower our police with 10,000 nit picky laws that nobody can possibly follow to give the officer PC to follow up on their instincts. It's a catch 22.

I guess I'm part of that 'other' society. I have little use for the 'King's men'.

So, are we to assume the bb/pellet gun shooter in the yard next door is responsible and accurate, and there will be no stray rounds, punctured pets or safety concerns? Who makes that determination?

(Sorry about the BBQ anecdote, I'll ask next time before I participate in a discussion here. Actually, that's BS. No I won't.)

When my Son was 4 he would write the neighbors tickects for parking violations and J walking in front of our house with his trusty little note book and crayon, maybe you could try that and see if that makes you feel any better.
I bet it wouldn't take you very long to realize you are breaking several laws by getting out of bed in the morning, you probably ileagally make coffee and tie your shoes incorrectly according to some scoff law. Should we police those too?
Lighten up.

I guess I'm part of that 'other' society. I have little use for the 'King's men'.

+1

And if you ever find yourself in need of their services you will most likely be dissapointed. 9/10 anyway... If they kept to the bad guys and away from the petty laws used against upstanding citizens I would feel differently

When my Son was 4 he would write the neighbors tickects for parking violations and J walking in front of our house with his trusty little note book and crayon, maybe you could try that and see if that makes you feel any better.
I bet it wouldn't take you very long to realize you are breaking several laws by getting out of bed in the morning, you probably ileagally make coffee and tie your shoes incorrectly according to some scoff law. Should we police those too?
Lighten up.

That was actually a rhetorical question about BB guns in yards that can be discussed reasonably from either side of the "fence." Trying to spin it into neighbors calling the cops on each other demonstrates that you didn't get that. So now neither one of us has the slightest idea what that little rant was about.

:s0114: I guess I did miss your point. I think I get what and how your saying it now. Looked a little different that early in the morning I guess.
I'll just leave it at that, because this thread is beyond repair now anyway.;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top