JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am building an AR10, and am in need of a barrel. I just dont know of many companies that make barrels. I would like to know a good / great barrel manufacturer. The catch is I am building it in 7mm-08.

What are some good (or great barrel manufactures), for AR10's. This is for a precision AR, and I do not care about cost (well lets not go over $650). Thinking 22" or 24". Preferred are manufactures that I can get a matched BCG from too.

Last Edited:
Thank you Slimer & jordanka.
I have done a LOT of looking over the last three days. There are three options that I think I have for a custom 7mm-08 barrel.
Krieger, McGowen, and Craddock Precision (using a Bartlein or Criterion blank). I think I am likely to go with Krieger.
Now I just need to know what twist rate to use in a 22" barrel. Likely shooting 140-160 gr bullets. According to Berger Calculatoe for twist rates it will be stableized between 1:7 and a max of 1:12.

Should I go with a middle of the range twist rate (like 1:9 in the above scenario). I hear all the disadvantages of a twist rate that is to high (wont stabilize heavy bullets), but is there a disadvantage to being to low of a twist?

Too fast a twist rate and you can literally blow up bullets as they leave the barrel. Happens with light, fast, thin jacketed varmint bullets with high velocity cartridges. Not familiar with the 7-08 so I don't know what's typical, but if you're building a precision rifle, you're most likely going to want to be using the longest, heaviest bullets your barrel can stabilize, especially for long range. The kicker is AR-10, then mag length is the limiting factor unless you single load.

BTW, just to make sure we're all on the same page, when you say high twist, you're referring to high numerically, i.e. 1:12 is high vs. 1:7 being low, aren't you? Not trying to call anyone a dummy, but some newbs might not have made the connection yet, and won't realize that the higher the number, the slower the twist rate. My apologies if it sounds like I'm trying to teach anyone how to pound sand o_O. Later.

Dave

Too fast a twist rate and you can literally blow up bullets as they leave the barrel. Happens with light, fast, thin jacketed varmint bullets with high velocity cartridges. Not familiar with the 7-08 so I don't know what's typical, but if you're building a precision rifle, you're most likely going to want to be using the longest, heaviest bullets your barrel can stabilize, especially for long range. The kicker is AR-10, then mag length is the limiting factor unless you single load.

BTW, just to make sure we're all on the same page, when you say high twist, you're referring to high numerically, i.e. 1:12 is high vs. 1:7 being low, aren't you? Not trying to call anyone a dummy, but some newbs might not have made the connection yet, and won't realize that the higher the number, the slower the twist rate. My apologies if it sounds like I'm trying to teach anyone how to pound sand o_O. Later.

Dave

Yes, I meant high (as in number) not fast as in more revolutions. Though I have been shooting since I was 3 years old, I am new to building (or spec'ing out) a rifle. It is pretty cool to see this side of the sport.

I've been told that they have very accurate barrels, but the barrel life is not very long. I will do some more research on them, since I now see they have a 7mm-08 options. Thanks.
I have no personal experience with them myself, but their reputation seems to be good. I wonder at people talking about short barrel life. I think I'd just pick up the phone give them a jingle and see what they have to say to your direct questioning on how many rounds their barrels are good for.

I went with a Proof Research on my AR10 build, but I was thinking pretty hard about giving BHW a shot. I highly doubt I will ever shoot out a barrel in any gun I own. I don't shoot that much.

I have no personal experience with them myself, but their reputation seems to be good. I wonder at people talking about short barrel life. I think I'd just pick up the phone give them a jingle and see what they have to say to your direct questioning on how many rounds their barrels are good for.

I went with a Proof Research on my AR10 build, but I was thinking pretty hard about giving BHW a shot. I highly doubt I will ever shoot out a barrel in any gun I own. I don't shoot that much.

I have never shot "a lot" in the past, but that is what this rifle is being built for. My son is of the age where he is wanting to shoot more often, and I need to have something to shoot along with him. That, and it will be a good step for my son between the 5.56 he is used to now, and an eventual 7mm-08 bolt gun, or my 25-06 that he will get in the future.

I don't want to shoot my hunting rifles that much. I certainly do not want to burn out barrels in them, so I thought this might be a good option to get something else.

Thanks.

Well whatever you choose I'm excited to read about it and hopefully see pics. I haven't followed any build threads that weren't the run of the mill stuff.

It'll be cool to see if you end up with accuracy on par or close to your bolt guns by going with a quality barrel. I no longer subscribe to the opinion that AR style rifles are inherently inaccurate or at least are not that accurate. I think with quality parts they are creeping right on up to bolt guns.

My one day dream AR is something from......... Rifles | NEMO Arms
Actually I'd like a few. Gotta have a spare and some to pass down to the kids ;)

If you need 2, you could go with on NEMO and one from Falkor: Petra – Falkor Defense

I am a 300wm fan as well. I love mine. So many guns, so little time and money. (of course when i was buying $500 - 700 guns it was one thing, but now it is that for just a barrel and BCG).

I may post some pics when I get it built. But it wont be soon. The wait list on some custom barrels is near 1/2 a year... though this is the last thing I need, minus a scope.

I have looked far and wide, and I just cannot get the combo I wanted in a 7mm-08. Kinda sad, as I was really looking forward to using this cartridge. I decided, and ended up purchasing a barrel in 6.5 creedmoor. This was my second choice, and I only wanted to stay away from it because it is a 'new to me' cartridge, and I have no other .264 bullets (I'm a reloader).
Looking forward to getting this build done! That will be awesome, and I really do want to learn about this cartridge, and see what I can make it do.
Look out 300 yard range, I will be frequenting you MUCH more often!

That sucks.
I had never thought about an AR in 7mm-08 but I bet it would be fun. It's a great cartridge. A buddy has a 40-XB in 7mm-08 and it is most accurate rifle I personally have ever shot.

That's too bad on your caliber compromise.
Here's one I started in December, finished in January:
Details:
  • 7mm-08 LR308
  • Aero M5 Receivers and 15" handguard & LPK
  • Wilson Combat 18" SS 1:9 barrel, Rifle length gas system
  • Odin Gun Works adjustable gas block
  • Rise Armament RA140 trigger pack, fixed at 3.5# & anti-walk dog bone trigger pins.
  • Brownells nitrided 308 BCG
  • Radeon Raptor ambi handle
  • UTG Leapers gimbaled bipod, 1-7 x 35 scout riflescope & QR high rings.
  • 5.6oz 308 mil-spec buffer & spring
  • Shown with Magpul CTR & 25 rnd magazine. Will take the GI 308 mags I have.
  • I've since changed to Luth AR & A2 buffer tube.
  • As shown, weighs 11.5 lbs.
  • Needs a muzzle device, found my thread protector and put it on.

All parts are new (excluding the Luth-AR), cost out is ~$1,200 with glass and bipod included.
Lessons from the build:
  1. Buffer tube / buffer & spring: What 1 manufacturer says is made for DPMS rifle length pattern LR308 may work on a DPMS, but doesn't on others. Fortunately I had plenty of spare buffers, tubes and springs. They ARE different....
  2. If you have an AERO system, converting it to the Enhanced variety, you need to pay attention to which height your rail is at, higher (IIRC Gen II) or Lower (Gen 1). To do this, you have to measure the tang by the buttstock.
  3. Wheeler AR tools don't work on Aero Enhanced M5 barrel nuts. Fortunately my Geissle wrench worked great.
  4. The shims that come with the Aero nut are awesome and necessary to achieve proper torque and exact positioning....
So far, think it's an awesome deal. :)
No name for her yet. I tuned the gas block in February. There's a fine line between cycling beautifully and not cycling at all....
Unfortunately, I haven't been out with her since February -- need to load more 7mm-08.

Two things will change on it when I have more cash: going with a different buttstock / buffer and I would buy the Leupold Scout scope instead. The UTG is awesome, but just too damn heavy.
The pictures suck, but I don't care -- just stating the obvious.
372057-3241eedcf6628503e9101ef20a3cc941.jpg
372058-21a79e2477a64c2ec378157bbb5c571e.jpg

Last Edited:
P7id10T,
That is a nice looking setup, and at a DANG GOOD cost!!! I looked into Wilson Combat, but they did not have the length barrel I was in the hunt for (20 - 24"). It was going to take me 5 months to get a barrel custom done, and even the ones I could order were still lacking in at least one thing I wanted. So I decided to go 6.5CM now.
Maybe someday I will find a 7mm-08 barrel that I want, but I am a patient person, most the time. But as for now I just want to get out and shoot with my new rifle (that I have had parts for, for nearly 3 years).

P7id10T,
That is a nice looking setup, and at a DANG GOOD cost!!! I looked into Wilson Combat, but they did not have the length barrel I was in the hunt for (20 - 24"). It was going to take me 5 months to get a barrel custom done, and even the ones I could order were still lacking in at least one thing I wanted. So I decided to go 6.5CM now.
Maybe someday I will find a 7mm-08 barrel that I want, but I am a patient person, most the time. But as for now I just want to get out and shoot with my new rifle (that I have had parts for, for nearly 3 years).
My Coastal Range Mtn Rifle is a ruger M77 All Weather in 7mm 08 with an 18" barrel. From that, I knew I'd be happy with the length of the WC.
Nice thing about the AR platform, you can easily swap uppers. :):):)

So... Only thing left is the muzzle device... Mainly I want to reduce muzzle flip. That is it. I am NOT recoil sensitive, so I don't care about that, I just want to be able to follow up quick, or see my own shot... Any muzzle device suggestions out there? I read that these are called compensators, but usually come built into a break. I am not one for noise, so the break isn't what I want, just the comp. (Mainly I prefer to not be the guy at the range that is BLASTING everyone next to him.)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads