JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There's 10 gazillion beautiful, old Winchester's out there. They don't all have to be museum pieces. I would turn this one into a one-off project. You are only limited by your imagination.

But it's not an old gun. It's out of the worst production of Winchester's ever made. Those late 60-70's guns were terrible, and that's widely known. Any gunsmith will tell you this one is a money pit.

I would be proud to own that and don't think it is an embarrassment in the least. Some people like working on old guns and IMHO they should be saved and honored!
Yep - and if you are experienced with things like this you know exactly where to economize and what to spend a little more on.
Most of the work is good old fashioned 'elbow grease' and if it's something you enjoy then the time is counted as relaxation and fun with no dollar value.
I've restored more than a few rifles and handguns back to 'shooter' condition with very little money spent on them.

I do like the idea of putting it all together with the missing parts and seeing if/how it fires, then making a decision on how to proceed. Most of my guns speak to me in special ways. Let their voices be heard! :p

I wish the web site had some examples of completed projects. Poor marketing! :)

Just Google their name and then choose images. Here's one showing a guys home job on a beater High Power

PPhHOJ7l.jpg

I've had great luck with Belgian Blue (originally Herter's Belgian Blue formula, now owned by Art's Gun & Sport Shop) available from Brownells or Midway. Important is the last boil of 40 minutes to completely neutralize the chemicals to maintain "Blue", otherwise it will slowly turn brown, which in itself is still a pleasing color on a polished barrel for some older guns.

mill up or bend up a skeletal English straight stock out of aluminum or brass bar, similar to these, add wood grip panels... and maybe do a home style foregrip out of a block of wood... for that post-apocalyptic cowboy look... bonus, add .30-30 plastic cartridge holder in the hollow of the stock. :rolleyes::cool:

sten-01.jpg

But it's not an old gun. It's out of the worst production of Winchester's ever made. Those late 60-70's guns were terrible, and that's widely known. Any gunsmith will tell you this one is a money pit.
Damn man, three posts about why he should NOT restore this - maybe you do not have the skills, desire or understanding of why someone would want to do this but let it go - because many of us DO and simply have a greater 'depth' of vision and understanding of classic firearms.....

See this target? This is what one of those
late 60-70's guns were terrible
Of mine shoots...AND its a 1966 100 Year Commemorative AND with open irons.
img002.jpg
IMG_0934.JPG
And NOW it has a GLOBE SIGHT and may just get better!
IMG_1366.JPG
AND take notice of the nice, sharp edges on the octagon barrel and the deep bluing - yea the 60's era Winchesters were pretty bad...

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top