slanted crown on Winchester 94

RVTECH

Reactions
Pretty much par for the course for any 94 30-30 I have ever had the misfortune to own.
Thats unfortunate.

All of the Winchesters I have owned have been very accurate, with one I have capable of this at 50 yards.

I all fairness however this is with carefully loaded, reduced load ammo.
IMG_1744[1].JPG

IMG_1744[1].JPG

OP
D

dogbarlow

Reactions
Pretty much par for the course for any 94 30-30 I have ever had the misfortune to own. My advice? Sell it and get an older Marlin.
I was out with a friend shooting a Marlin and he was shooting a lot better than me and thats how this whole project got started. I wonder how many old winchester 94s are out there with crowns as messed up as this was. Im hoping to report a big improvement in accuracy after shooting it tomorrow.

If you haven't yet pulled it from the lathe, I would back cut an additional 20deg crown to break off the edges of the lands going just a few hundredths into the bore, maybe a few hundredths in below the crown, sort of a pre or false crown, and then a final back cut on the outside diameter, which you could do with a fine cut file and stones! The idea behind the additional crown cut at the lands is to "Pre-Vent" the blast gases as the bullet exits the bore, and makes the actual crown more effective!

Let us know how she shoots after all the work! :)

po18guy

Reactions
Things happen. I have a 'Marlin' Marlin 444 and it was not as accurate as it should have been. Checked the bore and found that the two front sight mounting screw holes were drilled too deep and left two raised protrusions in the bore. I would say dimples but dimples are concave.

Back then, Marlin had me send it to them and they replaced the barrel N/C. It had been made just after their transition from dovetailed to screwed on front sights, and the tooling needed some adjustment.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Free Firearms Safety Course Webinar (I-1639 Compliant)
Virtual Webinar (Zoom). Registration Link in the course description.
Washington, USA
Rimfire Challenge Feb 13th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Project Appleseed
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Great Vendor
    I have not been to the shop yet but have purchased from him online, and all I can say is PERFECT! You could not ask for a nicer, more helpful guy...
  • Paul A Martin Historical Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Great shop, selection and atmosphere
    One of the better firearm shop experiences I’ve had, Paul is very patient and helpful. Definitely going to be a repeat customer even though it’s...
  • Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    Great Service! A+
    Steve is a very nice guy and very easy to work with. I've done business with him a few times and will continue to.
  • Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    Great guy!
    Steve is a great guy to deal with!
  • HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Nice Home Shop
    Had what I wanted at a good price. Messaged me when in stock.
Top Bottom