JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What I did with my evening.

Winchester 94 Takedown Conversion (gunloads.com)
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sh...-94-Takedown-Conversion&p=1021766#post1021766

This is why I thought or remembered his name as Tyler/Taylor
The Alaskan CoPilot and the Alaskan Guide-The finest big bore lever rifles in the world! (archive.org)
And the live site
1892 Alaskan Takedown Chrome 16" .357Mag | Taylor's & Co. (taylorsfirearms.com)

A huge Thank You Roy Bertalotto...
It really is just this easy. Along the way you'll find out just how easy it is to fornicate the canine ( sight dovetail machining by a hammer wielding chimpanzee on some designer drugs).
Rossi 1892 Winchester Take Down Conversion | RVB Precision

More old skool madness. Good place to get lost for a few hours (days?)
THINGS THAT GO BANG! | Rbertalotto | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

The NRA gunsmithing handbook even got on the band wagon.
Amazon.com: The NRA Gunsmithing Guide - Updated: 9780935998474: Ken Raynor, Brad Fenton: Books

So, my point is, if you really want a takedown, it isn't that hard.

I did a deep dive last night for Brother Ben. He had shown a serious interest in a takedown lever carbine/rifle but had some curious specifications.
Did not want to desecrate an original even if it was in an obsolete caliber.
Did not want to desecrate an original even if the bore was dark and non-existent rifling.
Did not want to desecrate an original even if the original finish was less than 10%
Did not want to pay for an original even if ...

Likes the later AE
Likes octagon barrels.
Likes color case hardening.
Has a thing for odd calibers like 7-30 W Imp
Motorcycle carry/transport
Truck gun. Would forgo color case hardening for SS.
Boat gun. Would forgo color case hardening for SS.
Is willing to have a hack machinist/gun-plumber attempt it. (umm, me)
Is a talented wood guy (good, I'm not)
Doesn't mind doing the detail work. (The last 10% is 90% of the work)

I just thought If I was going to donate 3 scotches and as many hours to scour and sift through the interwebz for this I may as well share.

Last Edited:
P.S.

Also needed to post about something NOT politically related.
That bubblegum gets old after a while.

D

I'm in .

Is the takedown concept more geared towards storage? Is it more appropriate for a barrel length of 20+" , or is it more for the trapper crowd?
Been wanting a co-pilot since before I even saw 1 . Having seen a very basic specimen in person, I really think it's worth saving up for. Caliber could be almost anything. That wwg boomer would be fine, as the rifle can still feed on plain ol 45-70 ( this is my understanding). 30-30 or .357 would be great, but I don't know if it's a possibility for that platform.

Rambling on.

I'm in .

Is the takedown concept more geared towards storage? Is it more appropriate for a barrel length of 20+" , or is it more for the trapper crowd?
Been wanting a co-pilot since before I even saw 1 . Having seen a very basic specimen in person, I really think it's worth saving up for. Caliber could be almost anything. That wwg boomer would be fine, as the rifle can still feed on plain ol 45-70 ( this is my understanding). 30-30 or .357 would be great, but I don't know if it's a possibility for that platform.

Rambling on.
Other than needing the mill for squaring off the ears on the front of the receiver and a lathe for threading/relieving/timing the barrel all that remains is how to fit the extractor. Barrel fitting for a '92-'94 is not appreciably different from any other rifle.

I really don't see where any space age CAD/CAM calisthenics are necessary.
I get that there is a "buy it complete from a reputable source" but don't see the need.

I have a Miroku made Winchester '92 takedown that is a safe queen - IIRC I paid ~1200 for it NIB (I put one shot thru it once I got it home). I don't see myself spending $500 more to get a Uberti carbine takedown. I like my Rossi '92 and my Marlin 336 Youth model both with a 16" barrel. I wouldn't mind if they were takedown, but it isn't that much of a benefit, unless I had the money to burn, which I do not.

Takedown rifles were most popular long ago when many shooters took the streetcar or train to the range or field.

Bruce

I have a Miroku made Winchester '92 takedown that is a safe queen - IIRC I paid ~1200 for it NIB (I put one shot thru it once I got it home). I don't see myself spending $500 more to get a Uberti carbine takedown. I like my Rossi '92 and my Marlin 336 Youth model both with a 16" barrel. I wouldn't mind if they were takedown, but it isn't that much of a benefit, unless I had the money to burn, which I do not.
All due respect, (seriously, no offence intended) This is why I posted in maintenance and gunsmithing.

I'm encouraging experimentation and modification of existing firearms in common use. Anyone with a lathe and some experience could make this modification. I hear the machining purist out there saying the mill is needed to get the adapter/receiver parting line flat. I counter with, If your mill has dovetail ways then your precision and accuracy is derived from ways that were scraped in. In effect scraping is single point filing. This can all be done with dial test indicator, a lathe that is actually a lathe and not an imitation, (come on, we know the difference) a saw and a few files.
This and a careful eye to detail is all you need. Sure, the mill makes facing off the receiver easy but...

There are many lever rifles out there that have no collector or historical value that could easily become useful again rather than being parted out on the internet.

I plan to use much these ideas to build my dream lever gun. Rather than a takedown to make for a compact package I want a 26", octagon barrel, full length magazine tube, long range demon with a "twist". I'll figure that puzzle out someday...

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews