JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought a 50 count bag of factory new/sealed .308 Winchester brass, and about 10 of the cases had bad flash holes as in the picture, and many more had oval holes. There were about 5 or so cases that I'd use.
Has anybody else had bad cases like this from Winchester?

20170427_133322-1.jpg

I took them back to the store and got a refund.
That was the last bag on the shelf.
I've been handloading since 1976, and IIRC, this is the first time I've seen something like this on new, factory brass.
The occasional burr, yes, but boogered up like that, and so many of them, no.

So, makes we wonder what the "factory loaded" Winchester rounds are like??? I would presume they come from the same place. Just a thought.
I had a couple boxes of Winchester 22-250 a couple of years back that almost half of the necks split on the factory firing. Not completly uncommon to have some neck splits in that cartridge but the brass was obviously brittle at the neck.

I got a bad batch of Winchester 22-250 bras a year or two back where the necks were made with a "fold" in the brass. Sent A photo and the lot number to Winchester and they replaced the whole bag for me :D

I got a bad batch of Winchester 22-250 bras a year or two back where the necks were made with a "fold" in the brass. Sent A photo and the lot number to Winchester and they replaced the whole bag for me :D
I've mostly heard good things about their return policy. Seems like their QC has fallen off a bit over the last 5 years or so. Their primers sure tarnish quickly. They seem to fire okay they just look shabby.

I have and contacted Winchester, sent photos in. They sent me a a shipping label to return the faulty brass and at the same time the shipping label arrived a box with 3
New bags of brass showed up.
I gladly returned the bad stuff.

I have and contacted Winchester, sent photos in. They sent me a a shipping label to return the faulty brass and at the same time the shipping label arrived a box with 3
New bags of brass showed up.
I gladly returned the bad stuff.
That's great customer service!

Of my older brass only the Winchester turned green and otherwise got powdery. Don't know if it was just that lot or manufacturing era, but I no longer buy Winchester brass.

Last Edited:
Is this the newer red bag brass? I've heard a few guys complain about it, but haven't used any myself. The blue bag Winchester has been good to me over the yrs. I bought some Lake city .308 brass from a local guy. It was swaged, tumbled and trimmed. Out of 175 pcs I threw 15-20? pieces away when I weight sorted it. Shoot a group in the .2's and a handful of half moa groups in load development yesterday.

I had no problem getting a refund at the store I bought it at, but I also took the bag back to the sporting goods counter and showed the cases to the two folks who are at the counter most of the time.
I told them my concerns with the brass, and I suppose that they will contact their vendor.

Since I'm still considered a N00B, my first option was to buy a bag of 500 new primed Winchester .223 cases. I have not had much of any problems with them besides a few of them had green corrosion but other than that they preformed as expected.
It's good to know that others provide much needed info to the community, it's humbling.;) Thanks;)

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews