JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
5931E8E1-9698-4D6A-8E44-EE6A5F5032CC.jpeg
I recall loading some .223 with H-380 years ago. If I recall, I used Winchester 55 gr SP bullets with Hodgdon's max load. The velocity was unimpressive, accuracy was okay. This was pre AR for me, so can't tell you if it would run in an AR. Definitely would use heavier bullets if I were to try it today. 2428FC2A-19D5-4CF7-AAB2-53E875930994.jpeg

View attachment 1098362
I recall loading some .223 with H-380 years ago. If I recall, I used Winchester 55 gr SP bullets with Hodgdon's max load. The velocity was unimpressive, accuracy was okay. This was pre AR for me, so can't tell you if it would run in an AR. Definitely would use heavier bullets if I were to try it today. View attachment 1098363
Thank you for the load data. My Hornady 9th edition only shows one H-380 load and it's for 50gr bullet. What edition is your book?

Need to confirm that Hodgdon has not changed the makeup of the powder which affects burn rate.

Might be the reason why it's no longer shown for certain loads.
Possibly, but current Hodgdon data for the 22-250 actually shows heavier loads than my 1988 manual, implying that the current version might be slightly slower burning (or that they have more accurate pressure measuring systems now.)
Here is data for the .223 Remington from Hornady Handbook 4th Addition for H-380 with their 50 and 60 gr bullets from 1991.
7F67CE07-CDB0-4F77-8302-660DABDE2813.jpeg 8F87EC13-00B9-4A90-AFB9-82F3E5BA6841.jpeg
I think the main reason current data excludes H-380 for .223 is that there are so many better powders available for the cartridge (or would be, if they indeed were available ;)). I am quite confident you can load H-380 in .223 cases safely. You just won't be achieving full potential, velocity wise. Would suggest using magnum primers to avoid potential hang fires, especially in cold weather.

Possibly, but current Hodgdon data for the 22-250 actually shows heavier loads than my 1988 manual, implying that the current version might be slightly slower burning (or that they have more accurate pressure measuring systems now.)
Here is data for the .223 Remington from Hornady Handbook 4th Addition for H-380 with their 50 and 60 gr bullets from 1991.
View attachment 1098470View attachment 1098471
I think the main reason current data excludes H-380 for .223 is that there are so many better powders available for the cartridge (or would be, if they indeed were available ;)). I am quite confident you can load H-380 in .223 cases safely. You just won't be achieving full potential, velocity wise. Would suggest using magnum primers to avoid potential hang fires, especially in cold weather.
I totally agree. I'm going to guess that H380 is better for 22-250 because the case capacity is so much greater. I did like it in my 22-250. I don't see why it wouldn't be okay in .223, it might not be the "Best choice". But any port in a storm within safety parameters right?

I stopped using H380 a couple of decades ago, it was "twitchy". A couple of tenths of a grain in the wrong direction and you were blowing primers (even at well below max load data).

Lots better powder choices out there for 223 than H380.

I stopped using H380 a couple of decades ago, it was "twitchy". A couple of tenths of a grain in the wrong direction and you were blowing primers (even at well below max load data).

This might explain why it's not listed for some cartridges any longer.

This is the kind of thing that drives me crazy and causes me to stick to the paths more commonly trodden.

After reading more about H-380 it appears to be very temp sensitive which. It sounds like you might need to develope cold and warm weather loads and start way below max loads.

Maybe in a 22-250 or .243 Win., but I seriously doubt you could stuff enough H-380 in a .223 case to flatten a primer, much less blow one.
Absolutely agree. I can easily name a dozen powders off the top of my head that would perform better than H-380, but if H-380 is all you have and you don't mind having your velocity limited, you can use it. Even at full capacity, pressures generated are mild. Under charging may possibly lead to detonation, so stay within published ranges as shown in manuals I (and others) have referenced.

I tried H380 in my 260 Rem
The accuracy is there but it is consistently 200 FPS slower than other powders in my stash.
Plus, it's dirty. I read that it was dirty, but I mean, *really* dirty. Not something I would want to use in a gas gun.
I had stayed away from it because it was purported to be dirty, but some came up at a great price, and it is suitable for 308 based semi-overbore cartridges like 243 Win, 6mm Rem, etc.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top