JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I went to the range to sample my ammo that I reloaded, and I had a major jam. The slide was completely stuck with a live round in the chamber. After about 30mins, I was able to move the slide back and eject the round. I pulled out the barrel and dropped the round in the chamber and it got stuck or it didn't even fit all the way down. Is it bad brass or my die isn't setup correctly?

Was the slide fully foreward? If so the chamber should have sized the brass so that it moved even a tiny bit more free. Is there a bulge? Split? Correct size projectile?

Not completely foward but almost. Looks like near the case head there is a bulge. No splits, and correct size bullet.

What caliber and what firearms was this in? There are brands of brass out there that are out of spec....AMERC comes to mind. I had some 45 acp brass from them that I reloaded that did the exact same thing to me, because the brass was a little too thick. Could also be the case was not sized enough or even a spec problem with the barrel.

What caliber and what firearms was this in? There are brands of brass out there that are out of spec....AMERC comes to mind. I had some 45 acp brass from them that I reloaded that did the exact same thing to me, because the brass was a little too thick. Could also be the case was not sized enough or even a spec problem with the barrel.

9mm glock with a lonewolf barrel. Whats weird is that the ones that didn't bottom out in the lone lonewolf barrel, dropped perfectly in my xd...

Sounds like the chamber dimensions on the Lonewolf maybe tighter than the XD....match dimensions maybe. If you actually have a problem with the cases or a reloading technique issue, then you can work on that and you should be fine. If you continue to have an issue with the Lonewolf barrel, then I would either get it reamed out to standard dimensions....assuming it is match chambered, or chamber check all the reloads and keep them labeled so you know what will work reliably in the Lonewolf.

If you have no need for the potential extra accuracy the match chamber might afford you, reaming is not expensive to have done. A gunsmith with the proper chamber reamer can do it pretty quick. I like reliability more than the small accuracy gain.....but that's me.

is your Shell holder hitting the bottom of the Die + about 1/8th to 1/4 turn (on the die) ? if not then you might not be resizing the last of the cases just above the base. If your not having any trouble with Store bought ammo this would be the direction I would be looking.

Sounds like a bulged base to me, Do you chamber check or use a case gauge to check your loaded rounds?

I've had similar issues in the past with a Barsto match barrel in my P226.

Check your cartridge over all length. Since you can't see any problems with the brass, I suspect OAL which may be a tighter tolerance with the LW barrel.

I don't know how it could have happened with only one round, but if your die was too far down and (taper) crimping too much, it may have bulged the case. Did all your other rounds feed and eject properly?

If your once fired brass was from a Glock it will most likely have a buldge near the base on one side. If your sizing/depriming die was not set down to the top of the ram with the shell holder in place, it could have left some bulge.

My Lee dies remove the Glock bulge from .40 just fine.

Mike

Probably a bulged case. Get a Wilson case gage and check each round off the press. Or you could pull your barrel out and use it as a gage.

This problem happens more often with .40 S&W shot from a glock. There are dies available to push the brass ALL the way through and size the absolute full length.

If it's just some of the rounds, you might have short stroked the ram during sizing. It is also possible that the web has bulged from being fired in a partially unsupported chamber. I have to use a Redding G-RX die for my 10mm, but that's a straight wall case. IIRC, 9mm has a taper and a push-through die wouldn't help much.

elsie

So I went to the range to sample my ammo that I reloaded, and I had a major jam. The slide was completely stuck with a live round in the chamber. After about 30mins, I was able to move the slide back and eject the round. I pulled out the barrel and dropped the round in the chamber and it got stuck or it didn't even fit all the way down. Is it bad brass or my die isn't setup correctly?

What model gun and what caliber is it?

If it's a .40SW, a Lee decapping die will run all the way to the bottom and take out any bulge. .40 is quite a high pressure round.

Glock? Almost all semi-autos have an unsupported area in the chamber. It's the feed ramp. I'll keep posting this until "some" people figure that out. OK, for the millionth time:

unsupportedchambers5-1.jpg

What model gun and what caliber is it?

If it's a .40SW, a Lee decapping die will run all the way to the bottom and take out any bulge. .40 is quite a high pressure round.

Glock? Almost all semi-autos have an unsupported area in the chamber. It's the feed ramp. I'll keep posting this until "some" people figure that out. OK, for the millionth time:

unsupportedchambers5-1.jpg

Gawd I love my HiPower!

Chances are this issue is being caused by the fact that there are no sizing dies that will properly size all the way down to the case head, this is because all size dies need a lead in, and the shell holder.

There are really two ways to correct this, a push through sizing die (not the best option, but an option nontheless), the best option is roll sizing, however the machinery to do this is somewhat rare, and thus rather expensive. Here is one example: HOME

Scharch, Camdex and Ammoload also make roll sizing machines, and my business has plans for one. You still need to size the brass after going through this process, it is just for the base/web of the case.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top