JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We should all get together and pay for a class-action lawsuit violation of our 2nd amendment right
I know a guy who can help.

Oct. 15th I stood in a Salem gun shop on a Saturday morning while I was approved. Maybe enough chatting time to drink a cup of coffee.

Dec. 15th I "bought" another gun on sale (w/CHL). Not at the back of the queue then, but ahead of 1/3. Now, on Jan. 31, I am at still #2,999.

Oct. 15th I stood in a Salem gun shop on a Saturday morning while I was approved. Maybe enough chatting time to drink a cup of coffee.

Dec. 15th I "bought" another gun on sale (w/CHL). Not at the back of the queue then, but ahead of 1/3. Now, on Jan. 31, I am at still #2,999.
Was your first one an instant or required human approval?

Has anyone dealt with a seller who insists that they need to "rerun" a check after it clears if the time to clear was greater than 30days?

On Monday, mine finally cleared after 9 weeks of waiting. Now seller is telling me they need to contact OSP again and "rerun" the check because it's been so long since the initial purchase. They are also telling me they are unable to get thru to OSP due to call volume.

Has anyone dealt with a seller who insists that they need to "rerun" a check after it clears if the time to clear was greater than 30days?

On Monday, mine finally cleared after 9 weeks of waiting. Now seller is telling me they need to contact OSP again and "rerun" the check because it's been so long since the initial purchase. They are also telling me they are unable to get thru to OSP due to call volume.
I've heard, I'm not a lawyer or FFL, that they only need to have you fill out another 4473 and a new BGC is not necessary. The 4473 is supposedly just paperwork for the FFL.

I've heard, I'm not a lawyer or FFL, that they only need to have you fill out another 4473 and a new BGC is not necessary. The 4473 is supposedly just paperwork for the FFL.
Yea I'm pretty sure that info is in the thread above somewhere. Seems to me they had to call OSP to get a new number for the 4473 and then it's done. But that's just what I recall from skimming the thread earlier and may be wrong.

That would be Federal ruling. No need to blame the seller.

A search of " 30 days 4473 " brought up this-

"A NICS check is valid for 30 calendar days for any transaction. The 30 calendar day period is counted beginning on the day after NICS was initially contacted.

Where more than 30 calendar days have passed since the licensee first contacted NICS, the licensee must initiate a new NICS check prior to transferring the firearm. It is not necessary to complete a new ATF Form 4473, but the results of the new NICS background check must be recorded on the form.

Example 1

A NICS check is initiated on May 15. The licensee receives a "proceed" from NICS. The transferee does not return to pick up the firearm until June 22 of the same year."

The licensee must conduct another NICS check before transferring the firearm to the transferee."

"A NICS check is valid for 30 calendar days for any transaction. The 30 calendar day period is counted beginning on the day after NICS was initially contacted.

Where more than 30 calendar days have passed since the licensee first contacted NICS, the licensee must initiate a new NICS check prior to transferring the firearm. It is not necessary to complete a new ATF Form 4473, but the results of the new NICS background check must be recorded on the form.

Example 1

A NICS check is initiated on May 15. The licensee receives a "proceed" from NICS. The transferee does not return to pick up the firearm until June 22 of the same year."

The licensee must conduct another NICS check before transferring the firearm to the transferee."
Careful what you read on the ATF FAQ page, it seems they've had either interns or have been purposely posting incorrect stuff.

Example 1

Thanks for the explanation.
It makes sense in most cases where a direct ping to NCIS would immediately yield a response.

Unfortunately, for us Oregonians, the follow up check seems to drop into the same bureaucratic abyss as the 1st one. As of this writing, I'm now at 3 days and counting for the re-run to process. That leads me to the ridiculous hypothetical of; "what happens if the re-run takes more than 30 days?"

I filled out the 4473 on Dec 11. Still waiting. I've also had a CHL for over 20 years.

In early 2022 I bought a pistol and it cleared instantly. That was on the tail end of all the COVID panic by buying so sales volumes were still quite high back then.
I bought one at BiMart over a month ago, and he told me they were going by date, numbers didn't matter and CHLs didn't matter now. He said at the time that they were getting approvals for early December. The whole fiasco has me confused.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top