JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And I thought Washington was messed up, sheesh.......
It beats Hawaii.
1) Take hunter safety course.
2) Buy pistol at FFL.
3) Go to police station saying you want to purchase a pistol.
4) Wait two weeks, go back to police station, pick up permit.
5) Fill out 4473 at FFL. Pick up gun.
6) Go back to police station where the clerk will incorrectly measure you're barrel.
7) You're free to go!

It beats Hawaii.
2) Buy pistol at FFL.
6) Go back to police station where the clerk will incorrectly measure you're barrel.
7) You're free to go!
Sounds faster than Oregon right now.

It beats Hawaii.
2) Buy pistol at FFL.
7) You're free to go!
@bolus don't peopel also have to get a medical (ie mental) clearance before buying a gun now too or is that just for concealed carry?

I'm curious to see what will happen with mine this weekend. Picking up another lower. My first 2 were instant. But the last one I did a few weeks ago went into the queue. I think it might have something to do with my application for a gun range background check, but who knows. Fortunately they're doing 3 day holds, but still frustrating to have it be so inconsistent. Unless my recent purchases online for Ammo and accessories flagged me somehow.

I'm curious to see what will happen with mine this weekend. Picking up another lower. My first 2 were instant. But the last one I did a few weeks ago went into the queue. I think it might have something to do with my application for a gun range background check, but who knows. Fortunately they're doing 3 day holds, but still frustrating to have it be so inconsistent. Unless my recent purchases online for Ammo and accessories flagged me somehow.
My last three have been instants, which I attribute to the FFL inputting my information from my ODL verbatim.

I filled out the 4473 on Dec 11. Still waiting. I've also had a CHL for over 20 years.

In early 2022 I bought a pistol and it cleared instantly. That was on the tail end of all the COVID panic by buying so sales volumes were still quite high back then.
You should be getting it within the next couple days. I stopped at BiMart on the way home, and asked about the wait. He said the state is sending approvals today on purchases from December 10th.

The thing that bothers me about that is that he told me, over a month ago, that they were approving BGCs from early December then. They've only progressed a week, in a month? Are they going even slower now?? At this rate it could be several months yet. Or am I getting bad info from BiMart?

I went to a gun show a couple weeks ago, and was told that "They're getting better; we're told that it only takes a few days now." BS. I don't know where that misinformation came from. It sounds like it's gotten considerably worse in the last month.

Was your first one an instant or required human approval?
It occurs to me that I may not fully understand what "instant" is. I've never had to wait more than a half hour or so, even as recent as two or three months ago. They would say something like "You're number three in the que" and "now you're under review". It was never actually instant, but I never had to wait more than 20-30 minutes. I thought that was what was considered "instant". Do some of you all actually get instant approval?

You should be getting it within the next couple days. I stopped at BiMart on the way home, and asked about the wait. He said the state is sending approvals today on purchases from December 10th.

The thing that bothers me about that is that he told me, over a month ago, that they were approving BGCs from early December then. They've only progressed a week, in a month? Are they going even slower now?? At this rate it could be several months yet. Or am I getting bad info from BiMart?

I went to a gun show a couple weeks ago, and was told that "They're getting better; we're told that it only takes a few days now." BS. I don't know where that misinformation came from. It sounds like it's gotten considerably worse in the last month.

It occurs to me that I may not fully understand what "instant" is. I've never had to wait more than a half hour or so, even as recent as two or three months ago. They would say something like "You're number three in the que" and "now you're under review". It was never actually instant, but I never had to wait more than 20-30 minutes. I thought that was what was considered "instant". Do some of you all actually get instant approval?
Not instant.

So yours come back approved as soon as they're submitted? I didn't realize that it worked that way for anyone. That's good to know. In that case, no, I've never had instant approval. I wonder how one gets on that list.
Hit enter, approved. If you have to wait any duration from them walking away from the terminal, it's not instant and had human intervention.

Last Edited:
It finally cleared!
And I might actually have a chance to sight in the dot this weekend too. I'm stoked.

Also, I am strangely excited about the mag storage in the stock. This must be how my wife feels when she buys a dress and discovers it has pockets😂

PXL_20230217_014419087.jpg PXL_20230217_014302441.jpg

@bolus don't peopel also have to get a medical (ie mental) clearance before buying a gun now too or is that just for concealed carry?
yep, you give police signed permission to access your medical record and if you have ever seen a mental health professional even once in your life you have to get clearance from a physician. that's just to get a permit to purchase.

yep, you give police signed permission to access your medical record and if you have ever seen a mental health professional even once in your life you have to get clearance from a physician. that's just to get a permit to purchase.
Wow that's nuts. Gotta get GOA or one of the other big 2A groups to get that overturned.

I think their meaning of instant and ours is different. I've never been approved as soon as my FFL hits send, that would be what I call instant. I've always had to wait a few minutes to get my "instant" approval. Fast forward to today and even with a CHL I went into the que at about 10,000 three weeks ago. Yesterday I was told I'm around 6,000 in the que.

They were shocked when my last one wasn't instant since my first two were. They were so surprised they had me look through the form and everything was input correctly.
It's not just the form, it's when they type it into the computer. I've been told (trust but verify) by numerous FFLs that if you get an instant, assuming everything is typed in correctly, you'll always get an instant.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what dictates who gets an instant. My recent discovery is that if they just my middle initial as shown on my ODL, as opposed to my FFL middle name, I get an instant.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top