JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Also, I don't get how they are getting around the 30-day thing with regard to the NICS check... If not completed after 30 days, it is invalid and is supposed to be started over.
From what I was told is it's 30 days from the day approved. If you don't pick ur gun up 30 days after approval another needs to be submitted is what I was told after asking once hit 30 days

When I was working at a gun shop up here in WA, it was 30 days from day form was submitted. Well, that was how I was trained at least and was a couple of years back..? lol

Well, I'm not a plaintiff...
Guess you either get an instant approval or delay, according to the FFL I went to, which reads as a bulletin on the website upon completion of the submission.
Guess they realized some people would use their shenanigans to their own advantage in the lawsuits...

Last Edited:
Apparently a few shops have been in hot water recently because of 3 day release. I completely respect the federal law but as of last week they found at least 3 felons in possession of firearms because of the 3 day release. So while it is a federal law it is worth losing your FFL license over? To some Yes to others Hell no!

Apparently a few shops have been in hot water recently because of 3 day release. I completely respect the federal law but as of last week they found at least 3 felons in possession of firearms because of the 3 day release. So while it is a federal law it is worth losing your FFL license over? To some Yes to others Hell no!
Haven't seen that in the news, do you have any links? Sounds like a failure of FICS if they can't provide an instant rejection on a FELON.

Last Edited:
It's up to the feds to go after felons with guns, not the FFL. Once the BGC check is submitted, they have 3 days to respond. If they don't respond, the law says the person gets the gun. Why would the FFL be in trouble from a federal agency for following that agencies procedures?

Due to certain volunteer work I did as well as prior Army qualifications, I was apparently granted the equivalent of a state security clearance, if there even is such a thing.
Maybe a factor in getting instant approval?

Due to certain volunteer work I did as well as prior Army qualifications, I was apparently granted the equivalent of a state security clearance, if there even is such a thing.
Maybe a factor in getting instant approval?
Playing the devil's advocate, not saying you're lying by any stretch, but what would be the point of a state security clearance? A federal security clearance is for protecting National Security. What secrets would the state possibly possess that would only be limited?

I've recently discovered that I get instant approvals with only my middle initial, which matches my ODL.

Internet rumor? what few shops please.
I checked with 2 of the shops i have dealt with that do 3/5 day turnover...no hot water.

What led to this was volunteering for a WMD-CST exercise in Eugene.
Organizer told me that, when they reported participants, he was told that I was "already cleared".
First I ever heard of such.

@Jay Walk - I was #27,### on Nov. 29ish. Just got the approval call today. I do not have a CHL. I was quite surprised to be honest. I asked if they were starting to release due to OSP dragging their feet, or something along those lines? The said no, that my BGC had come back. When I went in they told me that OSP was currently processing November 28th & 29th 4473 submissions.

Last Edited:
From what I was told is it's 30 days from the day approved. If you don't pick ur gun up 30 days after approval another needs to be submitted is what I was told after asking once hit 30 days
I have an FFL and spoke to the ATF about this last week. The 30 days begins when the information is entered into the FICS system.

What led to this was volunteering for a WMD-CST exercise in Eugene.
Organizer told me that, when they reported participants, he was told that I was "already cleared".
First I ever heard of such.
When you volunteer for just about anything, they will do a "background check." As far as I know, this amounts to little more than a credit check and perhaps a public records check.

Internet rumor? what few shops please.
I checked with 2 of the shops i have dealt with that do 3/5 day turnover...no hot water.
Not a rumor. I do not have specific links I just spoke with a reputable FFL who would have no reason to lie. I should have asked specifics but I left it at that. Besides immediate ramifications I would be worried about delayed ramifications. Who's to say once all this 114 crap is over the ATF doesn't start targeting these people who got their firearms through the 3 day rule. People said 114 wouldn't pass and look what happened at this point if it is a grey area I'm not touching it.

Haven't seen that in the news, do you have any links? Sounds like a failure of FICS if they can't provide an instant rejection on a FELON.
It very well may be but reality is a few felons got guns through legal means. While I am sure the legality of everything is up for debate in regards to the 3 day rule. At the end of the day it is the FFL that relinquished the firearm to them. Therefore, I would consider them liable unfortunately

Not a rumor. I do not have specific links I just spoke with a reputable FFL who would have no reason to lie. I should have asked specifics but I left it at that. Besides immediate ramifications I would be worried about delayed ramifications. Who's to say once all this 114 crap is over the ATF doesn't start targeting these people who got their firearms through the 3 day rule. People said 114 wouldn't pass and look what happened at this point if it is a grey area I'm not touching it.
So at this point, it's complete hearsay? I've heard plenty of reputable FFL's provide false information and lots of personal opinions on guns. Look at the number of FFL's that are more than happy to sell a petite female first time gun owner a tiny pocket pistol that is miserable to shoot.

I'm not doubting what you've been told, but in the world of information, false/incorrect/misleading information can be taken as truth. If felons were indeed given firearms after the three days have elapsed by following both Oregon and federal law, wouldn't you expect the main stream media to be all over this? As gun owners, we are constantly vilified by the media. Also, as a public forum, your posting will likely make it to a news source and used against the gun community.

Especially on a gun forum where we are trying to ascertain facts; trust but verify.

To me, this doesn't pass the sniff test.

So at this point, it's complete hearsay? I've heard plenty of reputable FFL's provide false information and lots of personal opinions on guns. Look at the number of FFL's that are more than happy to sell a petite female first time gun owner a tiny pocket pistol that is miserable to shoot.

I'm not doubting what you've been told, but in the world of information, false/incorrect/misleading information can be taken as truth. If felons were indeed given firearms after the three days have elapsed by following both Oregon and federal law, wouldn't you expect the main stream media to be all over this? As gun owners, we are constantly vilified by the media. Also, as a public forum, your posting will likely make it to a news source and used against the gun community.

Especially on a gun forum where we are trying to ascertain facts; trust but verify.

To me, this doesn't pass the sniff test.
One possibility that jumps out at me is some customers get mad at ffls who don't do the 3 day rule. So if an FFL has a reason such as the "got in trouble" ready then that makes it easier to not lose the customer. I'm not saying that is what happened in this case at all cuz I know nothing about it. But I could see that possibility fwiw.

One possibility that jumps out at me is some customers get mad at ffls who don't do the 3 day rule. So if an FFL has a reason such as the "got in trouble" ready then that makes it easier to not lose the customer. I'm not saying that is what happened in this case at all cuz I know nothing about it. But I could see that possibility fwiw.
This is much more likely than FICS not kicking an instant rejection.

Any and all hearsay posted here can, and likely will make it to sites like Reddit or equivalent. From there, who knows when MSN will pick it up, thus making the next headline is "Charleston loophole is giving guns to felons in Oregon".

Trust but verify.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads