JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
http://q13fox.com/2015/12/27/auburn-police-suv-stolen-from-parking-lot-rifle-inside/How come when it's in the hands of a citizen it's an assault rifle? Then in the hands of an officer it's magically a patrol rifle or even, gasp, just a rifle?
Where are the calls for police to have better control over their equipment? Apparently an unlocked SUV behind a 4 foot fence is "secure".
My favorite part of the article:
"Hirman confirmed that there was a loaded police rifle inside the vehicle, but unless the thief knew some secure information, the crook would not be able to access and use the gun."

Secure information? Like what? Knowing how to use the drill he stole from Home Depot? He could probably just use a rock too.

Auburn cops are for the most part good folks. I have had a business there for 12 years and had a number of interactions (more than a few) and have been impressed.

I am inclined to cut them some slack for a momentary bout of stupidity.

Auburn cops are for the most part good folks. I have had a business there for 12 years and had a number of interactions (more than a few) and have been impressed.

I am inclined to cut them some slack for a momentary bout of stupidity.
I've had good interactions too but there seems to be several bouts of stupidity with this one.
Haven't reviewed the camera footage but have communicated with news outlets.
4 foot fence
Apparently no LoJack.
Loaded rifle in plain view left unattended.
Thinks lock cannot be defeated.

Agree with Monster on cutting them a little slack for stupidity, I had a cell phone, double Mackinaw Filson Cruiser, safety vest, new black leather brief case (recent Christmas present from a girlfriend) and my checkbook stolen out of my car in South Hill. Pierce County deputies took the info and report, did nothing, Auburn cops sent the little chit who was writing checks on my account to jail for 18 months. unfortunately got nothing back.

Brutus Out

So, if they passed the mandatory lock up bill like they've proposed in the past, why the bubblegum arent leos subject to the same punishment? Wonder if they'd get harassed just as bad as us civilians do, especially if its used/found in a crime.

Exemption is BS.

So aren't all marked police cruisers loaded with electronics/communications for running DL's, plates, etc? How can it be that hard to locate?

And yes, I think the "secure" rifle is much less secure than they would like you to believe. A few standard tools and I bet its free as a bird.

yeah, I agree. "secure" means it wont fall out if you bump it.

Monster, I'd suggest "it might not fall out if you bump it.";)

I'm glad it was located, bit worried! I don't want anyone hurt, and if someone was hurt it would suddenly be our fault that the LEO's can't just be armed with Barney Fife pistols!

Sounds like the vehicle had the keys in it and was running with nobody around when the thief decided to jump the fence and go for a joy ride.

I've had good interactions too but there seems to be several bouts of stupidity with this one.
Haven't reviewed the camera footage but have communicated with news outlets.
4 foot fence
Apparently no LoJack.
Loaded rifle in plain view left unattended.
Thinks lock cannot be defeated.

Rifle NOT in plain view.
Not a member of that department, but if you don't know where to look in some cases, you will not find it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top