JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Attention Elk Hunters!
ELK.jpeg

If you harvest an elk in Washington

Please inspect all hooves and note if, in your opinion, they appear to be deformed or exhibit any abnormalities.

You will be requested to report this information in your annual hunter report to help WDFW understand the distribution and prevalence of treponeme-associated hoof disease (TAHD) in elk in Washington.

What is TAHD?

TAHD causes limping and lameness as a result of abnormal hoof growth, lesions, and, in severe cases, eventual sloughing of the hoof capsule. Research done by WDFW, in conjunction with a panel of scientific advisors, found that these abnormalities were strongly associated with treponeme bacteria, known to cause digital dermatitis, a hoof disease in cattle, sheep, and goats. Although digital dermatitis has affected the livestock industry for decades, TAHD is the first known occurrence of digital dermatitis in a wild ungulate.

Where is it found?

TAHD has been previously documented in Whatcom, Skagit, King County and all southwest Washington counties. The disease is most prevalent in Cowlitz, Wahkiakum, and the western half of Lewis County. In April 2018, WDFW confirmed TAHD in western Klickitat County, the furthest east confirmation of the disease to date. WDFW has not confirmed TAHD in any other elk populations east of the Cascade Range.

Please remember to inspect your elk harvest for hoof abnormalities and report the observation on your harvest report. By reporting your observations you are directly helping WDFW understand and manage treponeme-associated hoof disease.

Please note...
Elk hunters in western Washington should be aware of recent changes to WAC 220-413-200, which requires hunters to leave the hooves of harvested elk at the site of harvest in game management units 407, 418, 437, 454, 501-564, 568, 572, 574, 578, 633, 636, and 642-699. The intent of this rule is to reduce the spread of TAHD to new locations.

Hoof Disease Information

Please note...
Elk hunters in western Washington should be aware of recent changes to WAC 220-413-200, which requires hunters to leave the hooves of harvested elk at the site of harvest in game management units 407, 418, 437, 454, 501-564, 568, 572, 574, 578, 633, 636, and 642-699. The intent of this rule is to reduce the spread of TAHD to new locations.

What is the point of leaving the hooves at the site of harvest?o_O

What is the point of leaving the hooves at the site of harvest?o_O

Already read thru it in the regs;).

Leaving the hooves where they are supposedly helps to reduce the spread of the disease. It doesn't effect the meat and may as well bone out the meat so there is half as much to carry out.

With three of us, we should be able to take an elk down in an hour or two at the most.

Already read thru it in the regs;).

Leaving the hooves where they are supposedly helps to reduce the spread of the disease. It doesn't effect the meat and may as well bone out the meat so there is half as much to carry out.

With three of us, we should be able to take an elk down in an hour or two at the most.

Only two of you. I'm bringing beer so I can watch and see how it's done! :D

It's weird... who brings elk hooves home? We always leave them either at the kill, or at the hanging pole in camp. I see dogs in town carrying elk legs... wtf? They be just throw it in the truck, we deal with it later???

With three of us, we should be able to take an elk down in an hour or two at the most.[/QUOTE]

LMAO right now!!! :s0140::s0140:
Just a FYI when I got mine up there Joe, we got started cutting around 10am and got back to the road around 8pm. And we both new what we were doing! But that was close to the timber line though.
I have a feeling It's a lot more work than you think especially if none of you have done
But I could be proven wrong?
I'm just giving you a hard time.
I wish the three of you the best of luck I know there'r there you just got to find them.

Stacy

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews