JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I didn't see a thread on this, ok to merge if there is one.

What drills do you practice?

A couple I use :

1 - IDPA 5x5 Classifier - One Target, a timer, and a box of ammo. Probably works with a self-defense carbine too.

2 - Box - 2 targets (steel if you got em) and some "cones" (used coffee cups ok) walk the box, hit both targets until the mag is empty. Shoot only while moving (or work up to that) Distance -- safe from target (- may want to be further back if using steel.) Reverse direction for 2nd run. Single handed. Off hand. Add some "cover"
If I have a 16 rnd pistol, then I go for 4 shots on each side of the box, 2 to each target.

3x3 Drill
Three Shots, Three Seconds, Three Yards
Timer - Log book, training implies improvement. From Cover Garment if you are Conceal Carry person, Low ready if newby. Single hand, off hand etc.
https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress.com/2021/05/08/3x3x3-level-one/
Take some colored paper - if you can hit it consistently, fold the next one in half. 3in x3in Extra-Sticky Post-its and 2inx2in Post-its are also useful.
Back up: 5 yds, 7, 10.

I need to add this one
Stolen from Tactical Professor
5^5 drill; five shots in five seconds at five yards into a five inch circle five times in a row
The circle is a CD, so it is actually 4.75 inches in diameter, not 5 inches. The markers bleed through and I shoot the back to reduce visual confusion. After shooting each run, I wrote the time on the target.
make-55-1.jpg

I just alternate between El Presidentes and Mozambiques until I run out of ammo. But I still haven't run out. So now I just sleep down on the range.

Between rage at Biden turning the lies up to 11 just now, and the good feels of having stretched, lifted and dumped a C note worth of ammo at the range this morning I should be completely calm... lol

When it comes to drills I am only an egg. Old sci-fi reference there.

My handgun drills consisted of setting up 3 IPSC targets, then marking off 5 paces and 10 paces back. I also set up an barrier, three of those barrels in a pyramid, off to the side at about 7 paces.

Today I worked with both a 9 and my .38 snubby. The 9 OWB, the .38 IWB. Two mag pouch for the 9, no reload for the .38.

Started off with 3 mags of double taps, standing at the 5 paces line, presenting and doing reloads when interupted. On one empty drew the .38 and used it. Rediscovered that snubby beats up my hand! Also discovered I'm unwilling to drop my gun. (Nice plan... buuuut...) Anyway, I think I'll do next time.

Then did firing when moving back with the .38, from the 5 to 10 line. Firing while moving.

Did firing while moving with the 9 as well, multiple mags.

Had a mag loaded with 4 snap caps interspersed, and tap-rack when click no boom. And I'm crap at remembering to tap, just racked. Need to do the tap!

Did firing from crouch, and lots of from behind the barrels. Got behind where I couldn't see any target, drew then looked out and fired. Been doing it for a bit, so not new, but it is a different thing. Used both right and left side. It's just disorienting, not seeing then looking, seeing and shooting. Takes time, more time than one would think.

Between rage at Biden turning the lies up to 11 just now, and the good feels of having stretched, lifted and dumped a C note worth of ammo at the range this morning I should be completely calm... lol

When it comes to drills I am only an egg. Old sci-fi reference there.

My handgun drills consisted of setting up 3 IPSC targets, then marking off 5 paces and 10 paces back. I also set up an barrier, three of those barrels in a pyramid, off to the side at about 7 paces.

Today I worked with both a 9 and my .38 snubby. The 9 OWB, the .38 IWB. Two mag pouch for the 9, no reload for the .38.

Started off with 3 mags of double taps, standing at the 5 paces line, presenting and doing reloads when interupted. On one empty drew the .38 and used it. Rediscovered that snubby beats up my hand! Also discovered I'm unwilling to drop my gun. (Nice plan... buuuut...) Anyway, I think I'll do next time.

Then did firing when moving back with the .38, from the 5 to 10 line. Firing while moving.

Did firing while moving with the 9 as well, multiple mags.

Had a mag loaded with 4 snap caps interspersed, and tap-rack when click no boom. And I'm crap at remembering to tap, just racked. Need to do the tap!

Did firing from crouch, and lots of from behind the barrels. Got behind where I couldn't see any target, drew then looked out and fired. Been doing it for a bit, so not new, but it is a different thing. Used both right and left side. It's just disorienting, not seeing then looking, seeing and shooting. Takes time, more time than one would think.
You spent a C-note on ammo this morning?

That's like, only 10-rounds! :eek:

A commitment to do dryfire each and every day, without fail, for 1000 straight days. If you miss a day, you have to start again at the beginning. The important thing is do some dry practice every single day, even if it's just a little.

That is 6 carry the 4, ... 3 years.

--- ---

Lowlight dryfire practice

At night, have a flashlight next to your gun.
Pick them both up at the same time and identify the person before making the shoot decision
Flashlight usage implies the need for one handed shooting
Competing probabilities are in favor of it being a family member
Thinking the light is a 'lead magnet' is a problem

Last Edited:
This may be limited where you can do it, with a spin (pivot). Modify for your range.

Federal Air Marshal Tactical Pistol Course (TPC)

DrillStarting PositionSeconds AllowedTotal Rounds
One Round (twice).Concealed Holster1.65 (3.30 total)2
Double Tap (twice)Low Ready1.35 (2.70 total)4
Rhythm; fire 6 rounds at one target; no more than 0.6 between each shot.Low Ready3.006
One Shot, speed reload, one shot (twice).Low Ready3.25 (6.50 total)4
One Round each at two targets 3 yards apart (twice). (Use the outer targets. I go left to right for one string and right to left for the other.)Low Ready1.65 (3.30 total)4
180 degree pivot. One round each at 3 targets (twice). Turn left, then right.Concealed Holster3.50 (7.00 total)6
One Round, slide locks back; drop to one knee; reload; fire one round (twice).Low Ready4.00 (8.00 total)4
QUALIFICATION:

1. TIME: Cannot exceed total time for each Drill. Example: Drill #1 – 1st time 1.70 seconds, 2nd time 1.55 seconds; Total = 3.25 seconds = Go. Must achieve a "GO" on each Drill.
  2. ACCURACY: Target is FBI "QIT" (bottle). Total rounds fired is 30. Point value that hit the inside bottle = 5. Point value touching line or outside bottle = 2. Maximum possible score = 150. Minimum qualifying score = 135.

Yesterday I was flipping the 4" plates back and forth on the 25 yd dueling tree with my Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt. I don't practice race games , I practice hit what I aim at drills. Aim small, miss small.

The shot that is missed most often in pistol shooting is the very first shot of a string of fire. One of the best ways to correct this is to make first shots the majority of a training session.

I been doing a lot of reload drills and transition drills to sidearm lately. Just load up 2-3 rnds in mags and shoot reload shoot reload. Specially using barricades and obstacles. And doing same 2-3 rnds then transition to secondary anywhere from 8-20 yards

5×5 Skill Test

designed by Bill Wilson
Range: 10yd
Target: standard IDPA target
Start position: Hands at your sides facing target. No concealment garment necessary.
Rounds fired: 25
Another quick and easy to set up/score shooting test by Bill Wilson of Wilson Combat. It is intended for a service pistol of 9mm caliber or larger, concealed carry suitable holster and ammunition with a power factor (bullet weight x velocity) of 125,000 or more. Scoring is standard Vickers with a half second penalty per point down.
There are four strings of fire, each for time:
  1. Draw and fire 5 shots freestyle.
  2. Draw and fire 5 shots SHO (strong hand only).
  3. Draw and fire 5 shots freestyle, reload from slidelock and fire 5 more shots freestyle.
  4. Draw and fire 4 shots to the body and 1 shot to the head freestyle.
Bill Wilson's suggested scoring:
Grand Master: 15 seconds or less
Master: 20 seconds or less
Expert: 25 seconds or less
Sharpshooter: 32 seconds or less
Marksman: 41 seconds or less
Novice: 50 seconds or less
Not proficient enough to carry a handgun: Over 50 seconds

5×5 Skill Test

designed by Bill Wilson
Range: 10yd
Target: standard IDPA target
Start position: Hands at your sides facing target. No concealment garment necessary.
Rounds fired: 25
Another quick and easy to set up/score shooting test by Bill Wilson of Wilson Combat. It is intended for a service pistol of 9mm caliber or larger, concealed carry suitable holster and ammunition with a power factor (bullet weight x velocity) of 125,000 or more. Scoring is standard Vickers with a half second penalty per point down.
There are four strings of fire, each for time:
  1. Draw and fire 5 shots freestyle.
  2. Draw and fire 5 shots SHO (strong hand only).
  3. Draw and fire 5 shots freestyle, reload from slidelock and fire 5 more shots freestyle.
  4. Draw and fire 4 shots to the body and 1 shot to the head freestyle.
Bill Wilson's suggested scoring:
Grand Master: 15 seconds or less
Master: 20 seconds or less
Expert: 25 seconds or less
Sharpshooter: 32 seconds or less
Marksman: 41 seconds or less
Novice: 50 seconds or less
Not proficient enough to carry a handgun: Over 50 seconds
Is that an accumulative time standard

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR