JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK folks, I am going to try and get back into shooting a bow for recreation to start but eventually hunting. I haven't shot since I was in high school but recently shot a buddy's and caught the bug again.

I will be shooting a Bear Kodiak Super Magnum Recurve 60# wood bow. I am 6', 215lbs with a wingspan of 71".

1. What size arrows should I shoot?
2. Hybrid, Carbon or Aluminum?
3. Where is the "Freedom Munitions" of the Bow and Arrow world?
4. What is a solid "bang for your buck" hunting arrow tip for NW black bear?

Any and all advice is appreciated and no need to be gentle, I have no feelings and am full of caffeine and hate.

I can't offer any advice currently, but have also recently been bit by this bug. Used to do a bunch of archery shooting as a kid and also went to a lot of traditional archery shows. I do have a PSE compound, but I hate compounds. I've been looking at T/D recurves and my goal is to be outfitted and ready to hunt with one in the next 3-4 years. Good luck with everything.

Looking forward to reading any advice offered.

My advice for black bear is shoot aluminum. My guess is an 31 inch arrow, but a bow shop will help you out. They are heavier and will drive through the animal better. G5 monotec broad head is a solid one that will not fall apart on bone impact.

Great fun.

I prefer a longer arrow then recommnded by draw length, added mass and more stable flight, greater range potential! Aero brands and types I'm not current on, but I was using Gtech carbon composits at 36 inches with Muzzy broad heads over tungsten weights! Total arrow weight was in the 660 grain weight range driven by a 70 pound draw Martin Rageous with a 2" overdraw to boost draw weight when needed! Old set up, but consistantly accurate and had the needed speed to do the job!

I really like the Zwickey Eskimo broadheads...I have had good luck with mine.
Spine weight is in the 58-62 # for my Osage 58# long bow.
Cedar shafts if possible....
My draw length is 28 inches...
Andy
DSC06040.jpg

DSC06042.jpg

i literally know nothing about recurve stuff. but heres what i shoot just because:

i shoot gold tip xt hunters 5575

29.5" arrow weighs 380gr with broadhead
29" draw
100gr g5 montec (best non mechanicals out there IMO. i do like muzzys and shuttles too)

bowtech admiral 62lb draw. 304fps

i did have the bow at 70lbs at 320fps but the bow wouldnt paper tune without a stiffer spined arrow. dropped it down to 62lbs and its MONEEEEYYYY

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews