JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK folks, I am going to try and get back into shooting a bow for recreation to start but eventually hunting. I haven't shot since I was in high school but recently shot a buddy's and caught the bug again.

I will be shooting a Bear Kodiak Super Magnum Recurve 60# wood bow. I am 6', 215lbs with a wingspan of 71".

1. What size arrows should I shoot?
2. Hybrid, Carbon or Aluminum?
3. Where is the "Freedom Munitions" of the Bow and Arrow world?
4. What is a solid "bang for your buck" hunting arrow tip for NW black bear?

Any and all advice is appreciated and no need to be gentle, I have no feelings and am full of caffeine and hate.

I can't offer any advice currently, but have also recently been bit by this bug. Used to do a bunch of archery shooting as a kid and also went to a lot of traditional archery shows. I do have a PSE compound, but I hate compounds. I've been looking at T/D recurves and my goal is to be outfitted and ready to hunt with one in the next 3-4 years. Good luck with everything.

Looking forward to reading any advice offered.

My advice for black bear is shoot aluminum. My guess is an 31 inch arrow, but a bow shop will help you out. They are heavier and will drive through the animal better. G5 monotec broad head is a solid one that will not fall apart on bone impact.

Great fun.

I prefer a longer arrow then recommnded by draw length, added mass and more stable flight, greater range potential! Aero brands and types I'm not current on, but I was using Gtech carbon composits at 36 inches with Muzzy broad heads over tungsten weights! Total arrow weight was in the 660 grain weight range driven by a 70 pound draw Martin Rageous with a 2" overdraw to boost draw weight when needed! Old set up, but consistantly accurate and had the needed speed to do the job!

I really like the Zwickey Eskimo broadheads...I have had good luck with mine.
Spine weight is in the 58-62 # for my Osage 58# long bow.
Cedar shafts if possible....
My draw length is 28 inches...
Andy
DSC06040.jpg

DSC06042.jpg

i literally know nothing about recurve stuff. but heres what i shoot just because:

i shoot gold tip xt hunters 5575

29.5" arrow weighs 380gr with broadhead
29" draw
100gr g5 montec (best non mechanicals out there IMO. i do like muzzys and shuttles too)

bowtech admiral 62lb draw. 304fps

i did have the bow at 70lbs at 320fps but the bow wouldnt paper tune without a stiffer spined arrow. dropped it down to 62lbs and its MONEEEEYYYY

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews