JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Determined to hunt this season.

time, money and time are really hindering me this year though.

But... My son completed his course and proved not to be a fool on the range.... So I've got to take him out.

I'm in Vancouver, looking to do some small game...
Rabbit, Grouse, etc.

Again, time always the factor, I'm looking at the Shilapoo/Vancouver Lake area...

I hear there might be a rabbit or two out there.
That area is Shotguns/non-toxic only.

My son has a 20ga. No problem.

My only shotgun is a Cruiser... not ideal.

So, and finally to the point... I do have a nice .75 smoothbore flintlock that would do the trick.

**my question is, hoping @AndyinEverson is watching, are there any issues with the various non-toxic shot options being used with Black Powder?
Any better than others?

Is steel bb shot good enough for rabbits?

side note* if anyone knows another reasonable place to shoot critters within an hour of Vancouver... I'd love to know.

I load my non toxic shot just like my lead shot.
Powder , over powder card , wad , shot , over shot card.
Equal amounts of powder and shot.
Haven't found or had and issues with non toxic shot other than price...
Edit to add .... Most muzzleloaders have barrels that are not usable for steel shot...Maybe some of those Pedersoli's that have removeable chokes or some of the chrome lined guns.... But most muzzleloading guns that I have seen or shot , won't work with steel shot.
You can buy Bismuth and the like .
Andy

Last Edited:
Got it.

So, question now is...

#6 is what I think of for rabbits, never used a front stuffer like this though...
do lower velocities of BP loads change what size shot to use?

Again, time always the factor, I'm looking at the Shilapoo/Vancouver Lake area...

If your shooting ducks then that would be a good place but I've never seen a rabbit out there when I was looking for them - lots of hawks out there so I'm guessing it keeps them either hidden or the numbers down.

The best luck I've had was above Washougal on larch - best to be on the lookout for grouse as well.

It's too bad, I live 10-15 min from the lake and have not ever seen a rabbit or rabbit scat out there.

Got it.

So, question now is...

#6 is what I think of for rabbits, never used a front stuffer like this though...
do lower velocities of BP loads change what size shot to use?

BP velocities never affected my decision on shot size as far as lead shot went. I usually used #5 magnum. As long as the shot punched through both sides of a tuna can at the maximum distance that I would be taking a shot I was satisfied. I think that if you decide to use bismuth you might consider going one shot size larger because it is not as dense as lead.

Thanks for the info.

Ill go to Van Lake at least once... even if its just for the sake of my son 'getting to hunt'

He's at his mom's on weekends so our ability to get out for a longer time is limited.
I think we have two weekends before the end of the year

Only having weekdays... try to get anywhere else and it will be dark by the time we get there or dark too soon to be productive.

Sucks.
Just want to go hunting.:mad:

Determined to hunt this season.

time, money and time are really hindering me this year though.

But... My son completed his course and proved not to be a fool on the range.... So I've got to take him out.

I'm in Vancouver, looking to do some small game...
Rabbit, Grouse, etc.

I hear there might be a rabbit or two out there.
That area is Shotguns/non-toxic only.

My son has a 20ga. No problem.

My only shotgun is a Cruiser... not ideal.

So, and finally to the point... I do have a nice .75 smoothbore flintlock that would do the trick.

**my question is, hoping @AndyinEverson is watching, are there any issues with the various non-toxic shot options being used with Black Powder?
Any better than others?

Is steel bb shot good enough for rabbits?

side note* if anyone knows another reasonable place to shoot critters within an hour of Vancouver... I'd love to know.

Shibber
I have some #4 Bizmuth you can have for your muzzleloader. Enough for a couple hunts. I use it in my 12 ga SXS percussion. Just send me a message...will get you fixed up. Enjoy the time with you son afield.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top