JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A few thoughts:
One: Never point a gun at anyone or anything you do not intend to shoot.
Two: Even professionals make mistakes
Three: Just because you carry and use a gun for a living* , do not become complacent with safety or "take for granted" basic firearm safety.
* or are even if you are "around guns all the time."
Andy

Last Edited:
Well this is pretty telling:

Popek reportedly told investigators he had been playing around with his gun while cleaning the weapon when he pointed it at the victim and pulled the trigger.

What was he thinking "playing around with a gun" in the first place? He actually intentionally pointed it at him and pulled the trigger! This wasn't a simple accidental shooting, this was truly negligent behavior. My guess too is that the buddy was likely going along with the gag before it all went south.

I hope the guy makes a full recovery and I hope a lot of people learn a lesson from this unfortunate and stupid experience.

Why is the excuse always 'cleaning the gun' and then it accidentally....

I'm no one special and yet, I've never cleaned or began to clean a firearm which has not been triple checked to be unloaded.

I'm no one special and yet, I've never cleaned or began to clean a firearm which has not been triple checked to be unloaded.

Plus, whenever I clean *my* gun, literally or metaphorically (ahem), I do it in private. Don't want or need an audience.

Good to know the Oregonian isn't the only news source with horrible writing. I have seen experienced people unintentionally fire a gun. I have never seen them do it while pointed at another human.

We don't need bullets out while cleaning a firearm. There is something missing in the story but hopefully it was a mistake and the soldier fully recovers.

I am not sure how the Army trains now...
But when I was in , many times we went to a field exercise without blanks ... and had to point our rifles at the "enemy" and shout "Bang".
Doing this often enough may make one complacent or take away the training of Muzzle discipline.
Just thinking out loud here...
'Course at times some folks do something stupid no matter what....
Andy

I am not sure how the Army trains now...
But when I was in , many times we went to a field exercise without blanks ... and had to point our rifles at the "enemy" and shout "Bang".
Doing this often enough may make one complacent or take away the training of Muzzle discipline.
Just thinking out loud here...
'Course at times some folks do something stupid no matter what....
Andy

We never did that in the Army. My DI's were so strict about muzzle discipline and safety it was scary, especially with a big 6'7" dude standing over you screaming in your ear. :eek: Every time I clean anything I have flash backs to Drill Sargent Turner towering over me and doing it right so I don't have to do push ups.o_O

To this day if I do something stupid I almost make myself get down and do 20:D

It's a sure bet he'll never make Sgt. Very sad for his buddy and he will have to live with the fact he crippled or killed him the rest of his life. It really boggles the mind that he just ignored all his training.

Brutus Out

My sentiments exactly. There are always a few things that have to be done wrong, in order for an accident to happen.

He failed on three of them....
1) Failed to make sure gun wasn't loaded
2) Pointed his muzzle at his friend
3) Pulled the trigger at someone he wasn't planning to shoot

I bet it was all complacency. Unfortunate too because we have a saying in the Army... Complacency Kills. Apparently Rangers DIDNT lead the way that time :oops:

I always remove parts to where the gun can't fire when I clean. Its really hard to fire a semi auto with no bolt and bolt carrier or a revolver with no cylinder. I will admit to being somewhat less careful with where my barrel is pointing when the barrel is removed from other parts.

No one is immune to mistakes. That Ranger just made a big one. Sounds real bad for the victim as well. I hope he survives.

I suspect the shooter's military career is over.

No one is immune to mistakes. That Ranger just made a big one. Sounds real bad for the victim as well. I hope he survives.

I suspect the shooter's military career is over.
Not necessarily. He'll probably be subject to some ucmj actions maybe even some military jail time. It is possible for him to be chartered but it's just as possible for him to stay in with reduced rank

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top