JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think we NEED officers to be really involved in the local communities to the point where they are really inclined to not go along willy nilly to edict orders that imperil fellow city dwellers and KNOW they have another job waiting for them with fellow towns people if they NEED to tell their uppers to eff off and pound sand. KNOWING people have your back counts for a lot when it comes to bailing on a job.

ATF showing up a guy's door to confirm he still has the firearms he purchased when (as far as we know from the info provided) this person is 100% law abiding and within his rights is perplexing.

It's like if I went to the store and bought 6 rolls of duct tape and 3 tarps and an officer shows up asking if I've killed anyone lately because the stuff I purchased has been used in murders. I mean, if they had some sort of intel that the guy was conducting straw purchases or if a firearm that he had purchased shows up at a crime, then I could probably understand a visit.

Just because I bought a sports car, doesn't you can stop by and ask to take a look at my GPS to see if I've broken any traffic laws. It absolutely appears as an overreach to me. Quit wasting time on people that are not breaking laws as I imagine there are many other legitimately illegal people they could be focusing on.

Did your boss tell you to go and kill your fellow Americans if they did not give you something that their masters thought that they should not have?
No. But in the USCG they did want us to go out and board a boat, with guns at the ready, with the OSP, CGIS, and county mounties. Turned out the suspected drug boat was just some poor fishing boat that couldn't afford docking fees or even rent on an apartment, who went ashore in a skiff to get groceries, not to transfer drugs.

My point was that I felt trapped in the military by not being able to quit with just a few words.

No. But in the USCG they did want us to go out and board a boat, with guns at the ready, with the OSP, CGIS, and county mounties. Turned out the suspected drug boat was just some poor fishing boat that couldn't afford docking fees or even rent on an apartment, who went ashore in a skiff to get groceries, not to transfer drugs.

My point was that I felt trapped in the military by not being able to quit with just a few words.
Ugh, I couldn't imagine. We'll I mean I can.. I just couldn't imagine putting myself in that sitch. Sorry buddy, no offense.

ATF showing up a guy's door to confirm he still has the firearms he purchased when (as far as we know from the info provided) this person is 100% law abiding and within his rights is perplexing.

It's like if I went to the store and bought 6 rolls of duct tape and 3 tarps and an officer shows up asking if I've killed anyone lately because the stuff I purchased has been used in murders. I mean, if they had some sort of intel that the guy was conducting straw purchases or if a firearm that he had purchased shows up at a crime, then I could probably understand a visit.

Just because I bought a sports car, doesn't you can stop by and ask to take a look at my GPS to see if I've broken any traffic laws. It absolutely appears as an overreach to me. Quit wasting time on people that are not breaking laws as I imagine there are many other legitimately illegal people they could be focusing on.
Wasting their time on everything other than going after the real bad guys as all they seem willing to do nowadays, especially in this particular administration. If they actually went after bad guys they would be called racist or have to deal with whatever other BS talking points that people on the left constantly regurgitate.

Last Edited:
I believe Washington only keeps a registry with a semi automatic rifle, not pistols or anything considered an "other", I may be mistaken though. Either way it's unconstitutional and hopefully with the recent Supreme Court ruling it can be struck down in court. There also has to be something done with these guys just arbitrarily showing up at your house, it's obvious they know it's going to scare people into compliance and that in itself should be deemed illegal.
Washington has had a law in the books since ~1994 to keep a registry on file for all pistols bought in the state. The added the "assault weapons" bit just a few years ago.

For anyone who hasn't seen this yet:

Screenshots from that video:

C47C3289-487A-48FF-94F5-D314B9B8714E.jpeg

005C7F22-250E-437A-8F76-8A49F7362F1B.jpeg

5A2E4241-ACC2-4252-86C6-AD2A47FD8839.jpeg

A8DEDDE5-A054-417C-B9BF-2633B9F704DC.jpeg

47FC6DE9-016E-4077-A435-5ACA92936633.jpeg

A7052581-906A-412F-A076-BCF78BC6B6F6.jpeg

C4561429-B162-4C53-B2F6-019DCB513E53.jpeg

0CFDF8C4-2B61-4011-9FC5-720551D92043.jpeg

If I purchase a long gun in Idaho would Oregon have a record of the 4473?
Absolutely not. Dealer retains the 4473's which are not submitted to state or federal govt. Govt only request a copy in the event of a weapon trace. Multiple sale is only time info is submitted.
Don't think so, but ya never know! The records are kept for a few days, and if OryGun had reason to look, Idaho might just give them your info!
More than a few days..20 years. 4473's are not submitted to the government.

I'm a licensed manufacturer and even in an inspection forms are not copied or taken.

The only way a state keeps a registry is if they require you to register. If you don't register it, they don't have it.
If the state law requires a BGC for all transfers, then they can build up a registry DB of the guns so transferred. They may not have all guns in a registry, but they will get many, maybe most of them, and they will have a list of many/most gun owners, thereby knowing which doors to come knocking on.

If the state law requires a BGC for all transfers, then they can build up a registry DB of the guns so transferred. They may not have all guns in a registry, but they will get many, maybe most of them, and they will have a list of many/most gun owners, thereby knowing which doors to come knocking on.
Federal all requires dealers in all 50 states to conduct an NCIC background check. Assuming the state was checking that database for users registered as FFL's the only information they would obtain is whether or not a background check took place. They would not know if a transfer was completed or canceled. Additionally, there is no firearm information entered when conducting a background check.

It's different here in Oregon. The state police do the background check, gun information is entered and kept. It is a form of de facto registration here. The system was set up deliberately that way. That's why the didn't allow any exceptions for C&R FFLs or CHL holders.

I was told by one of the Oregon State Police clerks that do the approvals/denials of gun purchasers that Oregon (only) keeps the purchase/sale records for five years. She said after that they are purged. During that five years the information regarding purchase/sales is available to other LEAs.
Maybe that is the case....who knows? I had a shoplifting arrest when I was a schoolboy for eating a handful of nuts out of an open container in a grocery store. I was cleared but the arrest record remains. Several years ago I purchased a .22 rifle and went thru 6 weeks of waiting until the arresting agency (City Police, Dover, Dleaware) finally was able to provide the information. I was arrested in 1957. So....every five years I have to go thru the whole process again because they have no record of my being cleared of the same arrest so it does look like they only keep records on an individual for that long.

Yes, that is something state of Oregon does which is completely independent from the transaction record. 4473's Are required to be retained for a period of 20 years. In the event the 4473 is filled out and the background check is completed the transaction is not completed then the dealer only keeps that for a maximum of five years. ATF has no requirements on retaining purchase history.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top