JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This police shooting that took place in North Miami a day after the Baton Rouge ambush is very difficult to understand. What do you make of it??

When the police officer was asked why he fired his AR-15, he is reported to have said: " I don't know."

My only guess is that maybe the officer mistook the screaming of the severely autistic man as being evidence he was being threatened? But it turned out that the black man was actually his caregiver.

Cop shoots caretaker of autistic man playing in the street with toy truck (http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article90905442.html)

This is bizarre. It's difficult to draw a conclusion from the facts presented.
It definitely has the indicators of a bad shoot.

We have a meeting Thursday and Im sure the topic will come up. The year is half over, on pace for fewer than 200 LOD deaths. Still fewer than the average in the 90s. And, there are way more guns out there now....not hurting anyone.
Much much more media coverage nowa days
Hard to figure out number for us when not much coverage was around until the 90s?
Now everything is on camera. I'm sure some folks don't realize or think about that

All I know is if I get pulled over. My hands will be glued at 10 & 2. When the LEO wants my ID and paper work......the LEO can get it out of my pocket cause my hands are not leaving the wheel.

Much much more media coverage nowa days
Hard to figure out number for us when not much coverage was around until the 90s?
Now everything is on camera. I'm sure some folks don't realize or think about that

Yeah, cameras are everwhere. Just imagine if someone came up to you in 1995 and asked you to carry a GPS and Camera everwhere you go. Now, people line up for the next I-Phone that is exactly that.

I know of an ex-California cop who was fired for doing drugs. In his words he was basically self medicating. Mostly weed. From my days in the Air national Guard where my unit had many cops, not all, but many told me there were a lot of tasks expected of them that they wouldn't do. I think cities would save a lot of money if they reassigned these cops to other city jobs and just paid their wage difference.

I've personally seen SoCal cops do dirty stuff because they get stressed out and think it's funny. Over time how much are tax payers losing and look what it's done to the image of the authorities? In this cased the penalty for complying seems a little harsh. I love the icing on the cake of oh, I know we just shot you in the leg but lets handcuff you and arrest you for good measure.

From my point of view it's a system problem not just a cop problem but the cops are the customer service that everyone says, sucks. It's the mayors, judges, DA, chiefs/Sheriffs, lawyers and cops.

So having read the atricle, I'm a bit disturbed at the fact the officer fired an AR in the direction of a prone man with his hands up shouting dont shoot and a man who clearly has mental health issues sitting in the street playing with a toy truck.

Sorry, no reason whatsoever for such actions. There appears that no threat was present, according to the article. So it appears to not be a justified shooting.

What if he had killed the Autistic man? Then what? That's a huge issue...

I understand the stress the police are under with the assassinations over the past two weeks, but lethal force for a non life threatening situation is not justified.

This scares me, you know how many Autistic adults and children are in our society? Literally millions... This needs to be a learning opportunity for all police departments and all police officers...

The Police Department's Union has now come out with a statement, saying that the shooting was an accident.

They say that the officer had meant to shoot the Autistic man with his AR-15, who he thought posed a threat due to his bizarre behavior and screaming. The officer missed, though, and a bullet from one of his two shots ended up hitting the caregiver in the leg instead. A second shot from the officer hit no one.

So the officer did not intend to shoot the caregiver. He was trying to shoot the mentally disabled man with his rifle instead.

Police say that the 911 call that came in said that a man was in the street threatening suicide with a gun. When police arrived, they thought that the Autistic man was a suicidal individual, who was armed. However, the thing that the Autistic man actually had in his hands turned out to only be a toy truck.

I guess that this highlights some of the problems that officers can experience when out on calls. What if it turns out that the 911 call information that you get from dispatch is incorrect and totally misleading?

Are police trained on how to handle that possibility??

Miami shooting: Police accidentally shot man, says union - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/21/us/miami-officer-involved-shooting/index.html)

Last Edited:
The Police Department's Union has now come out with a statement, saying that the shooting was an accident.

They say that the officer had meant to shoot the Autistic man with his AR-15, who he thought posed a threat due to his bizarre behavior and screaming. The officer missed, though, and a bullet from one of his two shots ended up hitting the caregiver in the leg instead. A second shot from the officer hit no one.

So the officer did not intend to shoot the caregiver. He was trying to shoot the mentally disabled man with his rifle instead.

Police say that the 911 call that came in said that a man was in the street threatening suicide with a gun. When police arrived, they thought that the Autistic man was a suicidal individual, who was armed. However, the thing that the Autistic man actually had in his hands turned out to only be a toy truck.

I guess that this highlights some of the problems that officers can experience when out on calls. What if it turns out that the 911 call information that you get from dispatch is incorrect and totally misleading?

Are police trained on how to handle that possibility??

Miami shooting: Police accidentally shot man, says union - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/21/us/miami-officer-involved-shooting/index.html)
So he missed a sitting fat man with a rifle. Completely missed him. In this case I'm very glad he did, but unless you're 100 yards away and suck, how do you miss that badly? And don't get me started on the don't shoot the good guy part. They were both good guys for crying out loud. This is not a screw up. This is recklessness and incompetence, stirred vigorously and poured into a bowl of stupid.

This brings up a problem, A Really BIG problem, People calling in a report of "something" that may or may not be what they think it is, then Dispatch sends out the officers, Not knowing what the caller is saying is true and accurate, LEO show up expecting one thing ( amped up thinking about what they might find) and the situation is different then they believe. I can see things like this going really wrong in a hurry because of lack of intel on the situation! I think many of these incidents fall into this category! Still doesn't justify a shoot!

So he missed a sitting fat man with a rifle. Completely missed him. In this case I'm very glad he did, but unless you're 100 yards away and suck, how do you miss that badly? And don't get me started on the don't shoot the good guy part. They were both good guys for crying out loud. This is not a screw up. This is recklessness and incompetence, stirred vigorously and poured into a bowl of stupid.

I think that the officer was much closer than that. When you look at the cell phone footage, you can see one officer who looks to be only about 60 feet away.

Here the officer that took the shot is a member of the Department's SWAT team too.

If you watch the video, you can hear the man clearly explain to the officer the situation, telling him that no one is in danger. Yet, the officer did not seem to believe him, and still took a couple of shots.

Maybe the police need an attachment, for an AR, that shoots bean bags. Non lethal disabling first shot with lethal shot at the ready.
Hard to say...?

Well, that is what they have tasers for.

The big problem in this case is that the 911 caller said that there was a suicidal man in the street with a gun. And the responding officers assumed that was the situation that they were facing.

The recovering shooting victim has retained a lawyer. There are reports that the city is eager to reach a quick out of court settlement for damages.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top